German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for help and advice regarding joining a SAR group in my local area (South MS). I have a 2 Y/O GSD male that has thus far shown me he has what it takes. I have no experience whatsoever, but raised & trained field trial Labradors for over 15 years. I read, asked tons of questions, and winged it a lot back then, and am using similar methodology now, however SAR is a far more serious endeavor and want to do the best job possible with my dog. Jagger has excellent drive and his scent work is really impressive......to me. He is finding day old blind triples hidden underground, in trees, you name it..in minutes, but I have gone about as far as I can without help. I can't seem to find anyone or group locally and would greatly appreciate any and all help with where to go, who's book and methods to study, how to find groups to join etc., as I am very serious about taking both of us as far as we can go in SAR.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Look up SAR in your state or a nearby state and contact them. They would know if there is a group working privately near you that you could connect with.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Have you checked out folks in this group? Just found on a google search looks like a network of SAR teams and individuals in the state. What is he finding? "Triples?"

Home Page

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jocoyn, thanks.....had looked at them, but was hoping for closer. I will though as they are likely the best place to start with people in the know and take it from there. Triples is a blind retrieve term from my Lab field trials days.....all I knew to call what we were doing. Started with tennis balls, then went to cloth patches (now up to 3) that have been rubbed on family members or visiting friends planted the night before or early the next morning. 12-24 hrs later I would introduce him to a corresponding piece of cloth and release him....seek seek seek. The job & expectations are obvious to him. He will go in the direction sent and immediately begin doing nose work. He is not always 3 for 3 with the right match, but he always gets all 3 regardless of how well hidden or buried, but this is about the extent of my ability to improvise in place of actual education and knowledge. I don't want to go any further in case I am headed down a " wrong road" so to speak. Rather take a break, tune up the obedience, and get connected with a SAR group so as to limit bad habits learned by Jagger, and poor direction on my part.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts