German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sandra got me thinking with a post on Facebook. I just realized, that my vet has never pushed me to neuter Killian. I told them Killian was planned in the "future" to stud if all the stars aligned, and that's the last I heard about it.

Does your vet continue to push you to spay or neuter, until you did or did not cave, OR did they stop after you told them your intentions??

Whats your experience at the vet with this subject? Are they crazy pushy or do they respect your wishes?

THIS IS NOT A DEBATE ON WHO OR SHOULD NOT SPEUTER, OR WHEN.....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Never ever did our vets push us to do this. They only said that it might make a difference in the future for not having cancer, etc. But they never push(ed) to do so.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
My vet wouldn't suggest it, she knows I know what I am doing when it comes to my dogs...
I think if a vet doesn't have a relationship with the client, then they will automatically suggest it to prevent oops litters.
They probably feel it is their responsibility to remind clients to be responsible owners thru spay/neuter.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
My vet is also a friend and one of the top grey hound breeders in the country. She does not neuter any of her males and advises me the same. The girls on the other hand she recommends spaying if not going to breed, to avoid pyo.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
No pressure from our vet. Bella is our only intact Female and she will be Spayed and OFAd in NOV when she turns 2. And they did try to talk me out of the OFA cuz they usually only do that to breeding dogs. I simply said I want to know if she will ever develop HD and want to catch it as early as I can. They did not say a lot after that but still recommended that the Vet Look her over before hand seems like they really don't wanna. But I've got the paperwork and all so bye golly they better! Still find that weird :shrug:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My vet didn't pressure it at all, just informed me of the pros and cons, the best age if I chose to, what's involved, etc and went with my decision because she knows I'm a responsible owner. With people that she suspects aren't as careful and/or knowledgeable she does push a bit to spay/neuter

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh, I was pressured to spay Jazzi at 5 months at a different vet in Alabama. I didn't know better then, but I do now, and won't be making that same mistake again!

·
Registered
174 Posts
The vet I use has only asked me once about if I was going to neuter Kenai and I told him that when he turns 3 I will make that appt. and have it done. Same for Kiva,he has only asked once and is very respectful and nice about it all(I told him that we were going to hold off a little while on getting her spayed)..Now the other vet that works with him sometimes and the vet techs/receptionists on the other hand have been so nasty to me about it that I have left there crying...Last time I had Kiva in there one lady even went and scheduled her to get spayed without even asking me if I was going to get her spayed or not :mad: Gritting my teeth I told her that if she didn't delete it that I would be outta there so fast and to a different vet that her head would spin. Mumbling to herself she did delete it out of the computer,but still..I thought that was disrespectful. I like my vet way too much to let that old bird run me off.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Now the other vet that works with him sometimes and the vet techs/receptionists on the other hand have been so nasty to me about it that I have left there crying...Last time I had Kiva in there one lady even went and scheduled her to get spayed without even asking me if I was going to get her spayed or not :mad: Gritting my teeth I told her that if she didn't delete it that I would be outta there so fast and to a different vet that her head would spin. Mumbling to herself she did delete it out of the computer,but still..I thought that was disrespectful. I like my vet way too much to let that old bird run me off.
:shocked: We would have got the sack if we did anything like that to a client.....you should complain.....that is just crazy!!!:crazy:

·
Registered
174 Posts
:shocked: We would have got the sack if we did anything like that to a client.....you should complain.....that is just crazy!!!:crazy:
I did and she no longer works there because of it. My vet told me that he had a big sit down with the other people(and the other vet) that work there and told them that the next person who didn't respect the clients wishes would get canned in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Now the other vet that works with him sometimes and the vet techs/receptionists on the other hand have been so nasty to me about it that I have left there crying...
Um, wow. If someone at a business I choose to patronize were so foolish as to be rude to me, I can pretty much guarantee that I wouldn't be the one to end up in tears.

·
Registered
174 Posts
paulag1955: I was so shocked and hurt that I just started crying and walked out..Now when that lady went ahead and scheduled a date for Kiva to get spayed without asking I got ticked off royally..I will admit that being young and hot headed is not a good mix at times(well most of the time.lol) and I knew that it would be a really bad idea for me to lose my temper..I still am a tad wary of going to the vets office but I don't think that there will be anymore problems..

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
My vet has never said a word about spaying Siren. However, they also let me hold my own dogs when they work on them. (Even though there is a big sign that says "please allow our staff to restrain your dog.) They KNOW I won't let them be bitten. (And my dogs won't allow someone else to restrain them anyway.)

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
It's mainly the people involved in rescue that feel strongly about it. A lot simply assume that you are irresponsible if you don't speuter. Had it happen a couple of times that I was told I would contribute to killing dogs in shelters just because I don't speuter and buy from breeders. It is why I tend to react with sarcasm towards people like that and why I was sort of pissed.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
No, my vets do not push. I've been asked more than once, but that's because I take whichever vet is available for routine appointments, so I may have been asked five times by five different vets. Often when they ask, it is in the context of another procedure. For example, when I make an appointment for prelim x-rays they ask if I'm planning to neuter because if I was, then we'd do both procedures at the same time.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
My vet really doesn't want to neuter Jack.

She knows we're responsible owners though.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
My vet, which I will be changing just because I don't like his bedside manner as to say was pushing for me to neuter my boy when I took him for his 1 yr checkup. I told him that I had no interntions to neuter Ace unless a medical problem arose to do so. He then insisted that I was setting him up to get cancer and that I was being irresponsible.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
My old vet didn't even ask me if I was going to neuter Jazz, she just assumed and told me one day I'd have to make an appointment to neuter him. Aw, no, I don't think so. I told her I was going to wait until he was older and she tried to pressure me to do it earlier. I eventually went to a new vet because I was at odds with my old one about everything and she wasn't helping Jazz with his digestive issues at all. My new vet is fantastic and respects my decisions. She seems to be much more open-minded about everything. She even supports raw which my old vet scolded me about.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts