German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new to the forum and I am very thankful for all of the information tat is available. AWSOME! I live in Dallas and recently and recently brought home our newest addition to the family, Samson, 11 week old GSD. We picked him up 3 weeks ago. Samson is doing very well with sit, stay, and down. He is also doing very well with his crate training. I am very impressed how he is doing with my two children 3 and 6 yrs. I do however have one concern. Recently I have noticed just a tad bit of what seems to be aggression. While walking Samson he suddenly goes at my legs and when I correct him with the leash it only seems to make it worst and launches back harder. I have done research on bite inhibition and very aware that puppy bitting is very normal. My concern is the growling and the bitting is a bit more intense during these "attacks" lol. He only does this once in a while. I am hoping he only does this because is annoyed or too exited. Samson is an AWSOME pup and we would love for him to develop to his full potential. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
482 Posts
Normal, normal, normal play behavior

Welcome and I wish I had a nickel for every puppy nipping post to which I've responded.

It's not aggression. It's an attempt to get you to play...maybe rough play...but puppies play rough with one another.

Take as a compliment that he wants to play with you.

There's just not much you can do short of losing your temper, hitting the dog hard enough to make him despise you or shooting the little darling to make it stop completely...until he's about 4 - 5 months old and has all his adult teeth erupted. Then he's still going to want to nip your shoes and jump up on you or swing past you quickly with his mouth open and snatch your hand if you've been throwing the toys with him.

I'm sure others will chime in with more constructive measures and suggestions. i'm all "Nipping Posted Out".

LF

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I certainly feel your pain. I was just where you where a few weeks back and may even have asked the same questions. Longfisher may have even responded..lol. I learned that teaching "off" and/or "leave it" worked well for me. I still get the occasional foot or pants bite, but since the more experienced members told me hes playing I just redirect him with a toy.
Ive learned this breed plays rough. Yep they growl and pounce while nipping hard sometimes, even ripping my clothes. The more you push them away the harder they come back. Because thats how they play with each other, but just knowing he is playing and not being aggressive makes all the difference in the world.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts