German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I just got my guy yesterday. He is 7.5 weeks old, we had to pick him up a few days early since my husband work wouldn't allow the drive in a few days. We have a mulch area on the side of our yard we have designated to be his potty area. I have taken him there every time to go and he will go for the most part but, sometimes he just lays down in that area. His whelping area( sorry not a breeder so sorry if that is not correct term) was wood chips, is this why he thinks it a sleep area? I'm not too worried but I want him to associate that area with bathroom not sleeping. Thanks.

Lindsay
http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o794/Lindsay-Seth_Rhodes/20130524_171946_zpsa23e21b7.jpg?t=1369441214

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o794/Lindsay-Seth_Rhodes/20130524_171946_zpsa23e21b7.jpg?t=1369441214

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Awwwww! Of course that is why he's doing that! He thinks it is his bed, LOL!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should I just keep standing him up so that he starts to realize that it is not a sleeping area? Any ideas? Thanks.

Lindsay

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
What I would do is put some pee there, get a soup ladle and catch the pee when he goes, then sprinkle it over the mulch spot.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He actually has peed in that area a few time and I even moved the poop from our yard to there from last night and he pooped there this morning. Its just when he doesn't have to go he lays down. He lays in the other mulch areas in our yard too.

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Keep him on a leash, don't let him lie down there, and do not let him go there unless he goes to the bathroom.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't take him there unless I am taking him to use the bathroom but, sometimes instead of sniffing around to find a place he just lays down. I have been standing him back up every time he lays down so he starts to understand. I will just keep standing him up every time he lays and tell him to go potty. Thanks.

Lindsay

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'd just let the puppy be. If he wants to lie and sleep there then thats cool. It is of no harm to him. You could move him to other mulched areas when he lays there . Really I don't know why people fuss pups over potty so much. I'd aim to give the dog no complex over peeing until it starts marking territory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts