German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just noticed that Samson is limping. I think that my daughter might have accidentally stepped on him. She is small so I don't think it is broken, but he is yelping when I touch it and limping( but is putting a small amount of pressure on his leg). I don't want to bring him to the emergency vet if its just a sprain but, will if I need to. Is there anything I can do to help or to know more? I am letting him rest now. Just some extra info on Samson. He is 10 weeks old today. He also got his 2nd set of shots today. He weighs 18lbs. Any thoughts? Advise? Thanks. BTW he is usually always put in his pen when I am cooking dinner bc I cannot watch but, he was sleeping so peacefully I didn't want to bother him, my mistake I know.

Lindsay

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Hope that there is no damage to your boy, could he possibly just be sore from the shot that he got?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My husband brought that up. It may be from the shots but he wasn't acting like this earlier this afternoon. He is being very lethargic which I know can be from the shot. It is just bad bc I don't know if certain symptoms are from shots or if he hurt his leg. I have been reading you can give puppies baby asprin. Does anyone know the amount? Thanks.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
a Vet or E-Vet visit will help and let you know more.

Hi,
I just noticed that Samson is limping. I think that my daughter might have accidentally stepped on him. She is small so I don't think it is broken, but he is yelping when I touch it and limping( but is putting a small amount of pressure on his leg). I don't want to bring him to the emergency vet if its just a sprain but, will if I need to.

>>>>> Is there anything I can do to help or to know more? <<<<<

I am letting him rest now. Just some extra info on Samson. He is 10 weeks old today. He also got his 2nd set of shots today. He weighs 18lbs. Any thoughts? Advise? Thanks. BTW he is usually always put in his pen when I am cooking dinner bc I cannot watch but, he was sleeping so peacefully I didn't want to bother him, my mistake I know.

Lindsay

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
I bet it is from the vaccines. I'd let your vet know on Monday that he is very sensitive to it. What exactly was he given/3,5,7 way?

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
What leg is he limping on?

Do NOT give aspirin to your puppy.

Crate rest him tonight,and see how he is in the morning. If still limping, take him to the vet.

Good luck I hope he is feeling better tomorrow.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They gave him the DAPPv+L4 vaccine. They are open on Sat. for walk ins so I might give them a call to see what they say. So it could affect his leg like that a few hours later? He just got up and I carried him(yelping) down the stairs to go to the bathroom and he went. He is still limping and yelping very badly when I touch it or try to pick him up. Could I give him a 1/2 of baby aspirin? Thanks for all the help.
Sorry we were writing at the same time...so the baby asprin is out. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I highly doubt that the vaccines are causing that intense if pain this far out.

If it was my puppy I would go to a vet tonight. But I cry when my dogs are in pain. If he HAS broken something, well, I would feel terrible to make him wait overnight, even though its not going to change much if you do.

I have seen puppies very sore from a vaccine. But the Dhlpp is not usually given in a leg. Usually they are sore at the actual injection site.

I could be wrong.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well he seems to be a little better. He got up on his own will and is now limping slightly, but not moving like his old self. I am going to keep a close eye tonight and give the vet a call first thing in the morning. I hate to see him hurting and was very close to bringing him, but I have already took him to the emergency vet once this month(worried he might have parvo) and would rather not have to pay the $175 walk through the door fee for something that is not dire. The weird part is both of his ears popped a couple of weeks ago and I just noticed that his right ear has flopped again. Is that normal? Thanks again.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Where was the vaccine given? That would be my first guess too.

You can give a puppy Arnica (it's a homeopathic remedy for pain).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No his shot wasnt given in that leg so, I am not so sure it was shots the vet says its possible but not likely. She said he could have hurt it it from many things but he is back to normal today! Playing and getting into trouble and he doesnt mind me touching it today. Ruth, I am going to order that for future issues. That digestive upset worked much better than the prescription. I really appreciate the help with holistic bc I dont know very much. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts