German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I had this on another post that actually was started about a different topic so I decided to just start a new thread. My little guy was having diarrhea and vomiting. I took him to the vet where he was given and IV for dehydration and and an anti nausea medicine. He came home with proviable and metronidazole. His poop sample came back with coccidia and roundworms, he starts 2 new meds as soon as hubby gets home with them. He is doing much better just from the treatment he is on now. He has been eating bland chicken and rice diet and eating well. No more diarrhea and vomiting. My question is before this, he had tons of diarrhea all over the yard. I tried cleaning up as best I could but diarrhea is not easy to get out of grass, how to I disinfect the yard so that it is safe for him and my small children(1.5, &years). My vet said to be very cautious and to wash hands A LOT. But the yard and the thrown spot on the rug in the living room, is what I am worried about. My living room and kitchen are one big room so this is where we are most of time. I just want my family and puppy to be safe. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Like your vet said, keep hands clean, out of the kids mouths if you can..

I would clean the rug with a good rug shampoo..I like a product called OUT which you can find in the pet dept at walmart..not expensive either.

As for the lawn, well, Not real sure, can you 'lime' it? I'd probably get some bags of lime, right before a rain storm sprinkle lime in the areas you think he pooped..

Not sure if lime will kill coccidia, I'm sure bleach would, but you'd be killing your grass as well..

Hopefully someone will have a good suggestion.

The meds should help him quickly glad he's feeling better

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Most coccidia that puppies get are NOT zoonotic. That said, if its a different coccidian, like Toxo or Crypto, those are zoonotic. But most puppies have Isospora. And that's ok.

As for round worms, they are zoonotic. Especially to young or immune compromised people. Wash the kids hands a lot.

Please remember most of us grew up with puppies well before we had such great dewormers without issue. It is not commonly transferred. But since it is possible you should be aware of it and take measures.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok well that makes me feel better about the girls but couldnt he just reinfect himself if its not taken care of. I always take him to a spot outside our yard to go but he had a few accidents and throw ups in the yard while he was sick. Will I need to find a new spot once he starts his meds?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
My puppy got giardia, which is really hard to kill. I tried the 1/2 cup bleach to gallon of water on the concrete area of my yard and let it run off onto the grass. It did kill areas of the grass so If im sure you would have to dilute it more than that. In the house I used bleach and hot water on the tile (which is what i use for tile anyway), pine sol on the laminate and lots upholstery cleaner and lysol on sofa. Just make sure everyone is out of the house with the lysol....lol. I have read about vinegar but the smell is worse than the bleach. I will have to do some research on it and see if it kills without harming the grass. maybe someone can chime in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts