German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning/evening/______(fill in the blank)! I'm pleasantly glad and surprised to find this site.

While we've never had a puppy or dog from a breeder, we've been lucky enough to share our lives with three pure bred GSDs, all rescues bound for or taken from high kill shelters. Funny, but each one has come along just when I was going to give up the search for a new 4-footed roommate.

Our first rescue was Long Tall Sallie, a European bred gray sable abandoned in Chicago. She was close to 8-yrs-old when we got her, and we were fortunate to have a couple of good years loving on her. She developed dysplasia and perianal fistulae (pardon the spelling) and finally could not be persuaded to eat. You all probably know the heartache of deciding to put down a dog and understand how we felt.

Right now we have Annie (4-yr-old border collie/imp) and Chief, a 9-yr-old sable male who we think flunked out from police training due to eyesight (poor guy is near-sighted). He was bounced around to 5 different owners in his first 2-1/2 years but still managed to learn trust and devotion to and for us in an astoundingly short time. Our big guy now is suffering from DM and has entered the late stages of the condition, so we find ourselves facing that decision again. We both think that he's been the best dog we ever had, and I am going through the stages of denial/acceptance/bargaining over and over right now.

Bear with me, I'm almost at an end! :eek:

Day before yesterday I answered an ad on craigslist and ended up buying a 5-1/2 month old sable female from a guy who didn't have the foggiest idea of what to do with his pure-bred puppy. She was chained outside during the day and caged most of the rest of the time: totally unsocialized and not quite house-broken; he was being compelled by his housing development to get rid of her and was one day from taking her to Animal Control. Sure, the timing is bad--Chief needs a lot of care--but I refuse to see a potentially good dog traumatized and possibly destroyed although I know our local GSD rescue is on the ball, pardon the pun. Resources are limited, and sure, OK, I had to dip into savings to buy her and get her vetted...didn't want a vacation this year anyway.

If you've made it this far, here's the kicker. Until I married, I hated dogs. Yep, I was a cat lady. We now have no cats and three dogs. Go figure. Love is a strange thing, and I now couldn't live without my barking companions.

I am a tech writer, retired due to disability (my back is a train wreck according to the doctors) and grateful to be in a position to have these guys with me. (Thank you, my dear hard-working husband!) Right now everyone is napping; Chief is on the floor on a bed we rigged for him, Annie has claimed the couch, and Jazz has returned to the safety of her open crate.

I'm a very happy woman. :peace:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Welcome! It sounds like you keep busy with your pack, we'd love to see pictures when you have time :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome! What a great story, I just love reading about the relationships between people and their four legged buddies. I found it hilarious when you said you hated dogs until you got married, they do have a way of getting into our hearts and homes. One look into those eyes and we're goners! Thanks for being such a caring dog person and giving of your time, patience and love. Like you, as I am writing this, Alex is fast asleep at my feet and his favorite bud (taco, my daughter's Chi) is fast asleep next to me on the couch. Again, welcome!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts