German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to rehome my seven year old female. After much soul searching, I've decided to reach out and see if I can find someone who would be a better fit for her than we are.

I adopted her at one and a half years old. I have since moved several times, married and had a baby. My husband has never bonded with her and doesn't want her to be a house dog and doesn't trust her around our one year old. I have had her in the house for years (though not to the extent that I would have without him), but the problem is that I really don't trust her around our daughter either. I think she will be perfectly fine until some perceived infraction, for which I can easily see her nipping my daughter. They have been kept apart because my daughter was premature and came home with health problems which left Hannah outside and/or in her crate a lot. Now that I could introduce them, I'm finding that my gut instinct is that I really don't trust it until daughter is older. I have no doubt a trainer (which I have) and a supportive husband (which I don't have) would help deal with the situation. She just can't be a family dog with us, and she really deserves to be. I take her running and do short training sessions with her when I can, but she really needs more than to be a backyard/occasional dog.

Over the years, I have done beg. and intermediate obedience classes, beginning tracking and gotten her CGC certificate. She goes on hikes in off-leash parks and to doggie daycare, but I'm still careful with her around other dogs. She is usally fine with other big dogs, but I don't trust her around little dogs. She gets along great with my MIL's hyper lab. I wouldn't trust her around cats or very small children. She is fine with older children. She has even had my friend and dog trainer's children do some training with her. She is crate trained and house trained and is pretty good about going "potty" on command in order to come back inside.

She takes thyroid medication, which is common in GSDs. It is fairly cheap and super easy to administer.

I am totally willing to pay for her travel expenses and possibly accompany her to destination if she would be a good fit elsewhere. If she doesn't need to travel far, I would be willing to make a contribution to her expenses.

I really am just reaching out to see if there is a better situation out there than us. If there isn't, that's fine, she always has a place here with us. I just wish she could be an integral part of someone's family and I just can't really offer than right now or for the next couple of years.

This is actually not my first post. I could not remember my password for anything in the world. You can read a little about Hannah and my experiences under my other posts here as rbush. They are from several years ago.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Has Hannah even nipped at anyone before? If not, then I'm not sure why you think that she would nip at your baby. I would think it's probably better for the two of them to get used to each other right away than to keep them separated for several years *just in case* she happens to do something. If you introduce them under supervision and do the introductions slowly and gradually for longer periods of time, I don't think you will have a problem, especially if this is a dog that has spent enough time with you to get her CGC and to do all of those other things with you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, she has, although it was years ago. I know you're right. Objectively, I know it. I would tell someone the same thing, but I can't seem to get past this. I've had my daughter around other dogs and I'm fine. My biggest worry about my MIL's dog is that she'll knock over DD and/or maybe lick her to death; my parent's GSD is that he would put a paw on her and scratch her. I'm fine with both of them. Maybe I'm overprotective because DD was sick for so long, I don't know...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts