German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really wish people would use sand or a salt that is animal safe. With the weather the way it has been lately ice is a huge factor on our streets and sidewalks. Brewski for the past weeks is continuously licking, and nipping around the pads on his paws. A friend suggested paw boots, I bought a pair he hates them and gets them off every time. What if anything do you any of you do to protect their paws from the salt? It must burn under the pads is what I am thinking. I feel so bad for him as they seem to be driving him crazy!

·
5,627 Posts
I bet a lot of people don't realize that the salt isn't safe for pets especially if they don't have dogs themselves.

They don't salt the streets in my neighborhood so I walk the dogs in the road.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Another thing, some types that say they are animal safe can still irritate them. I usually only use the "Safe Paw" melter but I was out of town so someone else bought a diff. brand while I was gone, which said it was pet safe. When Bianca walked on it she started limping. :(

I've used the Pawz boots before, those work pretty well for Bianca. I have also used a product you spray on their feet which is supposed to protect them against ice, snow and salt and keep snowballs from forming between the pads. It's called Paw Pro. I also wipe their feet off when they come inside so they don't lick any chemical ice melter off their paws.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I don't walk my dogs on the sidewalks but I'd rather them salt than not clear the ice at all as much of a pain is it is on their pads;) You can put a bucket in front of your house to wash his paws off, walk him in the grass only, or even put kids socks on him- we do this with my lab,lol

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all I am going to look for some Paw Pro tomorrow at the Pet Smart nearest to me. I think I might keep the water at the door too.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I had no idea such a thing existed - now I'm even more mad that I fell and hurt my already injured wrist on the ice on my deck because I won't put salt down, due to my dogs...
Ouch... My mom actually broke her ankle falling on ice at the bottom of front stairs a few weeks ago.
You should get some YakTrax (for yourself, not the dog).
I bought some recently and wow do they work! We had a really brief warm spell the other day which brought freezing rain and then the temp dropped and everything froze, so it's really icy around here right now. I was slipping and sliding earlier today when I was walking without them even though I tried to avoid the iciest spots; and I walked the same route this evening with the YakTrax on and didn't slip once-- even though I purposefully hit the icy spots this time! I also bought my mom a pair.
If you don't know what they are: YakTrax

They do make dog safe ice melter in addition to things that can protect your dog's paws. I will only use the Safe Paw ice melter now because other types I've used that said they were ok with pets still seemed to hurt the dogs' feet.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ouch... My mom actually broke her ankle falling on ice at the bottom of front stairs a few weeks ago.
You should get some YakTrax (for yourself, not the dog).
I bought some recently and wow do they work! We had a really brief warm spell the other day which brought freezing rain and then the temp dropped and everything froze, so it's really icy around here right now. I was slipping and sliding earlier today when I was walking without them even though I tried to avoid the iciest spots; and I walked the same route this evening with the YakTrax on and didn't slip once-- even though I purposefully hit the icy spots this time! I also bought my mom a pair.
If you don't know what they are: YakTrax

They do make dog safe ice melter in addition to things that can protect your dog's paws. I will only use the Safe Paw ice melter now because other types I've used that said they were ok with pets still seemed to hurt the dogs' feet.
I love Yaktrax! My husband and I both have a pair.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts