German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I have a question that I am trying to get the answer to ASAP and unforunately my vet is closed already. I know that I can give my pups fish oil capsules, the same ones people can take, but I was wondering if they can also take salmon oil intended for people?? Also I'm not sure if the dosage would be the same. My GSD has really bad dry skin and he is even scratching open some spots on his face and I want to be able to give him some relief. He already had a bath with a special shampoo so he doesn't get infected. I want to use salmon oil because my lab who also has some dry skin does not react well to plain fish oil. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use mixed oil that I just pump into their food, which is about 99% salmon oil, but I have no definitive answer. Good luck with the itchy itchy scratchy scratchy!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to eventually get the pump bottle kind, but our closest pet store is kind of far so I want to get something until I can get there and we are also looking into changing foods so this is temporary. Thank you for the input! This is my first GS and I am learning in some climates this is very normal but the last vet i saw was not much help, pretty sure I had a better idea of how to help him then they did. I just need to get with our new vet and get him a permanent solution.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i use 100%, first pressed, cold pressed salmon oil.
it's high quality human grade. i pump it over his food.
sometimes i'll pump some in his empty bowl and he'll
lick it clean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts