German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to bring this topic into it's own thread.

Here's the recommendation I give:

1000 mgs of oil per 30 pounds of body weight per day for a healthy dog

1000 mgs of oil per 20 lbs of body weight per day for a dog recovering from an illness or surgery

1000 mgs of oil per 10 lbs of body weight per day for a dog with a chronic illness

·
Registered
31,970 Posts
That's great Lauri! I would go with those dosages as well as a general rule of thumb.

If anyone wants to get more in depth and actually figure out the ratio's like I did (because I'm anal about details), please PM me for the thread to another board where there are lots of links for all the info. I don't have time to copy it over.

·
Registered
31,970 Posts
Here's one part of it.

DogAware.com: Supplements for Dogs

One form of omega-3 fatty acids called ALA is found in flax seed oil, but dogs cannot use ALA unless it is first converted to EPA. At best, dogs convert 15% of ALA to EPA, and some dogs may not be able to make this conversion at all. For this reason, fish oil is a much better source of omega-3 fatty acids for dogs than flaxseed oil.

Recommended dosage is 1000 mg fish oil (containing 300 mg combined EPA/DHA) per 30 pounds (14 kg) of body weight. Maximum dosage for dogs with health problems would be 1000 mg fish oil (300 mg EPA/DHA) per 10 pounds (4.5 kg) of body weight.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts

1000 mgs of oil per 30 pounds of body weight for a healthy dog

1000 mgs of oil per 20 lbs of body weight for a dog recovering from an illness or surgery

1000 mgs of oil per 10 lbs of body weight for a dog with a chronic illness
I was in the past giving 1000mg per day. This year, for some reason, my dogs had very dry skin and were very itchy. After talking to some people, I upped the dosage to 2000mg for Keeta (she was not as itchy), and 3000 to 4000mg per day for Gryffon (he was VERY itchy), and they are both doing great now. I was afraid it was too much at first, and all I ever read before was people giving 1000mg per day. I needed the reassurance that tripling or quadrupling the dose would be safe - Gryffon has been doing very well on the new dosage, and his coat is really developing a nice sheen to it.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
So Lauri (and anyone else)...what do you say is the MINIMUM amount that is at all useful of fish oil? Elsa doesn't handle it well and usually after a couple weeks at 1000mg she's got the runny run runs. I'm wondering if, say, only 500mg a day would do ANY good at all?

Ultimately it would be great if we could give more since she's got mild HD in one hip, but she just can't handle it (I know there are a couple other options for oils we could try, but I'm just curious).

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I feed my girls around 3000 mg per day.

Donovan gets around 4000 mg per day.

·
Super Moderator
32,394 Posts
Lauri, should this be a sticky thread?

·
Registered
798 Posts

1000 mgs of oil per 30 pounds of body weight for a healthy dog

1000 mgs of oil per 20 lbs of body weight for a dog recovering from an illness or surgery

1000 mgs of oil per 10 lbs of body weight for a dog with a chronic illness
Thank you so much for this thread, Lauri!

I've been seeing good results with my GSDs with 1000 -2000 mgs a day, since they have no health issues, but it has definitely helped preventing winter dry skin.

I've been looking for 500 mg for my 16-lbs-almost-11-year-old poodle without much success, so I started squeezing half a softgel into his food, but after seeing this and considering that just yesterday his vet check-up confirmed his heart murmur is now stage II, he'll get 1000 mg a day and I'll go from there.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Does Salmon oil require an additional supplement, or is that another type of Omega 3 oil? We were going to start giving the dogs grizzly salmon oil but I thought I had read somewhere that you had to supplement as well.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Runswithdogs, I was told you have to give Vitamin E when giving oil supplements.

I give my GSDs a 200 IU Vitamin E with every 1000 mg salmon oil softgel, once or twice daily.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong...please do because I am absolutely no expert...but I was under the impression that the reason to supplement vitamin E was because the fish oil in itself can't be digested alone. The only need to supplement vitamin E would be if the oil capsules didn't already have them in it? If we had one that DID have it included would we need to add extra vitamin E?

·
Registered
31,970 Posts
Your body used vitamin E to process fish oil. I've always been unclear whether it's just salmon oil or all O3 oils. If the capsules have Vitamin E then there is no reason to supplement. I buy fish oil that does not have it, so I supplement.

·
Registered
596 Posts
YES thank you! I am glad to read other people's thoughts on this. As i give 1000 mg fish oil a day along with 400iu of vit e!
I never knew the reason to give vit e with fish oil.... learn something new everyday!

·
Registered
31,970 Posts
vitacost.com is a good place to buy from.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Amazon.com is where i boguht grizzly salmon oil. Cheaper than otyher places i have looked.
But i couldnt pass the sale at CVS. BOGO free on the HUGE bottles of CVS brand FIsh oil capsules!!! and BOGO free on the HUGE bottles of VIT-E! lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts