German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received the bad news about Dakota yesterday. She had a bump under her chin that felt like a fully filled baloon. The vet asperated it and said that is was not infection but looked like a problem with the salivary gland. She contacted a surgen for reference and the recommended treatment is surgery to remove the gland. This is a major surgery. We have a meeting with the vet on Wed. Fb 25 (I'm taking my husband with me on this one). I don't know what the impact of removing the glands will be on the qualtity of her life yet. Estimated cost is $3,000 so it is a very big deal.

I've been searching the internet but am becoming very upset so I am going to put it off till I settle down. I did find one link but they didn't go into complications.

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/sialocele.htm

My dog just turned 7 months. For those that may remember she had a black spot on her tongue when we got her. Although the breeder said she would take her back we followed our vet's advice and had it removed and tested when she was spayed. It was determined to be either a birth defect or an injury. I don't know if this is related or not, but a salviry gland blockage could be caused by an injury.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I would get a couple of opinions before doing the surgery. Because when you talk to surgeons, they like to do surgery! And when you talk to any other specialty area, they like to do their thing of course.

Mariele, when I got her, had an impacted gland, it was drained and then fine (knock wood) since then-four years later.

Maybe we were lucky and there is something extra in your dog's glands, but I wonder if it will fill again. Hers was part of a bigger issue, so maybe that's why it never came back.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/salivary-mucocele-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Weird about the tongue too!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are meeting to dicuss options, including just draining it, or drain it and creating another drain via an incision . There are two vets in this office and the 2nd opton is the one that she suggests. She said if it were her dog this is the course of action she would take.

Glad to hear that draining worked for you, this gives me hope.

After we meet on Wed. I will be looking for a 2nd opinin. I've been with this vet office for over 20 years and have always respected them.

Now I'm playing the " should have game". Should I have returned her when I discovered the spot on her tongue? Not a good game to play and I need to stop beating myself up. When I got her she also had an umbilical hernia, which I knew at purchase, the spot on her tongue, which I didn't see unitl a the next day after taking her home, and now this. I did email my breeder and she says that all the other puppies are doing fine, in fact, she kept her brother for showing/breeding.

The cost of the surgery is one thing, and I'll let my husband freak out about that one if we go that route. The thought of "major surgery" is what is freaking me out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts