German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My GSD Ruger is 11 months old, and in good health. He's been boarding for the past 2 months, getting lots of love, socialization and training while I was coping with an illness. Its a pretty controlled environment. Saturday he suddenly developed a swelling on left side of his neck, which appeared to be an abscess of mandibular gland. No other symptoms Saturday. Sunday lump a little bigger and more firm. A little lethargic and off feed. Temp was up to 103.8 but came down w/Rimadyl and some ice packs to 101.6. Started oral cephalexin that afternoon and temp stayed down, appetite back. Picked him up Monday and took him in to the vet, b/c he was a little off food still and slightly lethargic, but had been active and playful before breakfast. ate 2/3 of am meal. Temp on arrival was 106.3. No indication of oral trauma or tooth issues. Aspirate was WBCs, lots of neutrophils. Lab work indicative of bacterial infection. I left him there for IVFluids and IV ABX. Temp was down to 103 at end of day, appetite ok, not great. Labs were essentially normal, except 0.1 below normal protein, and incr WBC. Looked bacterial. Today lump decreased in size, appetite ok, but temp was 103.8 this am. He removed his catheter overnight so didn't get the full amount of fluids but had gotten 2 doses of IV ABX. We're all puzzled why temp still up while routine labs are so close to normal. Any ideas or experience?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Latest temp is 104.7, but his appetite is good and he's feeling playful this afternoon. There running a screen for tickborne now, and a repeat CBC, but still feeling kind of clueless regarding ongoing fever. I sure would appreciate any comments and input anyone has to offer. Thanks,
Lucy (hottentot)

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
I have no idea, but am thinking of you. How scary. My dog was about 11 months and he had a calcium deposit under his tongue that I had removed/biopsied. Luckily he didn't develop an infection. I think the deposit was caused by a bone shard that imbedded.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is scary! The weirdest part is that the swelling is one-sided, what you'd expect to see if a tooth was bad, not with things like tickborne illnesses, and lab work not pointing to anything significant.... Ah, our pets!!!! Love 'em and change your plans, like vacations and stuff, sigh.
Lucy

·
Registered
27,251 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read about the mucocele, but it doesn't quite fit. He has been non-tender from the start...I do appreciate your comments and caring support. I posted on an Ask the Vet site too, so just cut and pasted this update from there:
Day 4: Tuesday. The lump decreased in size remained firm non-tender. Temp was 103.8 in the am. He 'removed' his catheter overnight so didn't get the full amount of fluids but had gotten 2 doses of IV ABX and Rimadyl. "Wolfed" his breakfast down, was playful with staff and elimination WNL. Temp in p.m. Up to 104.7. Energy, mood, and appetite good. IV Ceph incr to TID, continued Rimadyl. Screen for tickborne is -. IVF continue. Repeat CBC unch x WBC dropped substantially. Temp at 2345 was 102.1.
Day 5: Temp 103.2. IVF rate incr. Rimadyl continues. Shaving site, knot is jelly bean sized. Appetite energy are good.
Mine are not. I'm exhausted with worry, concerned about finances, and wondering what's next, especially if there is nothing remarkable on external. Could his baseline temp just run higher than NL? Could we even do blood cultures with 4.5 days of Ceph on board? Outwardly, you wouldn't know he's febrile without actually taking it! Which makes me wonder, a lot, and ashamed to say I never established his baseline.
Where do we go from here?
Thanks, Lucy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jane, I mis-read... Or something, but did re-read the link u posted. It hasn't been mentioned as an option, so I will ask my vet. I was present for the aspiration, and it was reported to be purulent in nature w/many phages at work. I didn't get the specific lab values, but know the WBC was elevated, and neutrophils were dominant. I'm going to ask them to fax me the lab results for reference. The swelling was remarkably sudden, from not being there on Saturday morning to walnut-sized at 2pm. It went from boggy on Saturday to firm on Sunday, so it appeared to "encapsulated." So, who knows? And who's to say that there is only one thing going on? I'm off to research hypothalamic disorders now....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts