German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to boost my 9 yr old GSD's declining energy level and health. Like many, she has a discriminating appetite for things that are good for her. I am aware that grapes/raisins are toxic to dogs among other things so I want to be careful.

Does anyone have any knowledge or feedback on giving your dog a human-grade Super Food as a supplement such as New Greens Super or New Greens Berry? They mix into a dog yummy lickable paste according to my "one and only". She loves the taste, so if the ingredients are not harmful but good for her then I and many others like us are in luck as its an easy diet addition:

Here are the ingredients of New Greens Super and then the ingredients of New Greens Berry:

New Greens Super:
Essentia Blend® 3,000 mg -
Chlorella (cracked cell), Spirulina, Alfalfa*, Kamut grass, Wheat grass*, Barley grass*, Oat grass*, Rye grass dehydrated juice powders, Dunaliella Salina (*Organic) - -
Power Veggie Blend® 2,000 mg -
(*Organic) Carrot*, Spinach, Tomato*, Kale, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Parsley, Beet*, Cabbage, Brussels Sprouts, Asparagus, Celery, Cucumber dehydrated juice powders - -
Antioxidant Supreme Blend® 1,000 mg -
Royal Jelly, Bee Pollen, Green Tea Extract (Decaf) (80% Polyphenols), Grapeseed Extract (95% Polyphenols), Blue Green Algae, Dulse, Blueberry, Cherry, Raspberry, Plum, Strawberry, Blackberry, Cranberry, Prune, Apple, Quercetin, Kelp - -
Gentle Fiber Blend® 1,000 mg -
Flaxseed meal, Apple fiber pectin, Brown rice bran, Glucomannan, Guar gum, Plantago ovata - -
Restorative Detox Blend® 1,000 mg -
Milk Thistle (80% silymarins), Turmeric (85% curcuminoids), Lecithin, Ginger (5% gingerols), Licorice root, Resveratrol, Dandelion, Aloe leaf, Ginko biloba (24% ginkgoheterosides and 6% terpene lactones), Bilberry (25% anthocyanidins) - -
Non-Dairy Probiotic Blend 1,000 mg -
Chickory Fructooligosaccharides (FOS), Saccharomyces boulardii, L. sporogenes, Lactobacillus acidophilus, L. casei, Bifidobacterium bifidus - -
Healing Enzyme Blend® 1,000 mg -
Protease (50,000 HUT), Papain (30,000 USP), Bromelain (2400 GDU), Lipase (40 USP/mg), Amylase (210 USP/mg), Cellulase (75 CU/mg) - -
NewGreens™ Flavor
All-Natural Mint flavor & Stevia

New Greens Berry Blast:
Divine Berry Fusion® - -
Açaí (Palmberry fruit) (4:1 extract) 500 mg -
Goji (Wolfberry) (4:1 extract) 500 mg -
Mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana) (10% mangosteen) 500 mg -
Acerola (4:1 extract) (berry) 500 mg -
Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon) (18:1 extract) (fruit) 400 mg -
Noni (Morinda citrifola) (whole fruit) 375 mg -
Elderberry (Sambucus nigra) (30% anthocyanins) 300 mg -
Blueberry (Vaccinium angustifollium) (15:1 extract) (fruit) 250 mg -
Camu-Camu (Myrciara dubia) (berry) 250 mg -
Pomegranate (Punica granatum) (fruit) (30% punicalagins) 200 mg -
Gooseberry (Emblica officinalis) 175 mg -
Black currant 175 mg -
Boysenberry 175 mg -
Organic Red raspberry (Rubus idaeus) 175 mg -
Organic Strawberry (fruit) 175 mg -
Blackberry (Rubus fructicosus) 175 mg -
Organic Pear (fruit) 175 mg -
Organic Apricot (fruit) 175 mg -
Bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus) (100:1 extract) (25% anthocyanidans) 50 mg -
Papaya (fruit) 50 mg -
Power Veggie Fusion® 2,000 mg -
Organic Carrot, Organic Spinach, Cabbage, Organic Kale, Cauliflower, Organic Tomato, Broccoli,, Parsley, Beet, Brussels Sprouts, Asparagus, Organic Celery, Organic Cucumber - -
Energizing Herbal Fusion® 1,320 mg -
Eleuthero (Eleuthero senticosus) (root) (dried extract), Maca (Lepidum meyenii) (root), Ginseng, Oriental (Panax ginseng) (30% ginsenosides), Ashitaba, Yerba Mate, Turmeric (Curcuma longa) (95% total curcuminoids), Green Tea (Camellia sinensis) (98% polyphenols), Rhodiola rosea (3% rosavins), Ginkgo Biloba (leaf) (24% ginkgoheterosides) - -
Healing Enzyme Fusion® 1,000 mg -
Protease (50,000 HUT), Papain (30,000 USP), Bromelain (2400 GDU), Lipase (40 USP/mg), Amylase (210 USP/mg), Cellulase (75 CU/mg) - - -
Gentle Fiber Fusion® 500 mg -
Flaxseed, Apple fiber pectin, Brown rice, Glucomannan, Guar gum, Psyllium (seed) - -
Berry Fusion® Flavor
Natural strawberry flavor, natural raspberry flavor, stevia, citric acid, and natural cherry flavor - -

Other Ingredients: Natural strawberry flavor, natural raspberry flavor, stevia, citric acid, and natural cherry flavor.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to followup, I am talking about all natural ingredient Super Foods that DO NOT have vitamin/mineral supplements added to them (as human vitamin/supplements can be toxic to dogs such as iron, dog's don't require vitamin c supplements, etc.).

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
marketamerica.com

pet health opc

I use the human opc myself

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
If she has any allergy issues the flaxseed, alfalfa and other grasses may cause problems.

Personally I'd go with more protein and less carbs and sugars (even 'natural' ones).

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Also maybe some Probioitics or even digestive enzymes. As dogs get older things just don't work as well as they did when they were young.

Have you had a full Vet senior check done on your dog?

Val

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Given that she's a senior, amounts concern me.

Whole Dog Journal (Sept 07) suggests that Royal Jelly can be healthy but at tiny amounts (1/8-1/4 tsp, 1-2x/per day) for a 60-80-lb dog. The same article discusses the fact that allergic reactions to bee pollen can be very severe, including anaphylaxis. They recommend starting with one grain of bee pollen a day. With a mix like this, it's hard for me to see if you can do that.

Regarding kelp, spirulina, algae, barley grass, I just came across this page the other night. I have a bunch of sites bookmarked and intend to talk to my dog's alternative medicine vet about it. I don't have enough info to be knowledgeable about it. But again, for a senior especially, it would make me nervous. Anyhow, I'll toss it out to you to consider. http://www.byregion.net/articles-healers/HeavyMetal_Pets.html

I love natural and herbal options for my dogs whenever possible. I proclaim the miraculous healing of local raw honey for dogs with allergies whenever possible. My senior and younger kids also get a variety of vitamin, herbal, spice, and similar remedies. But mixes like this are so hard to control for. Perhaps you might want to run it by a alternative medicine vet?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the valuable feedback and especially those who took the time going through the numerous ingredients. I will proceed with caution and hold off until I research more.

To answer one question, I have her on Orijen Senior Formula, which is "supposedly" a high quality natural dry food. She tolerates it which is a big plus considering how difficult her palate is.

I will investigate further and post back if I get any positive professional feedback.

Just for interest, I am getting ready to post the story of the GSD who stayed with his master and defended his body for 6-weeks being reported in the news today. I will post in the general area.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally Posted By: Wisc.TigerAlso maybe some Probioitics or even digestive enzymes. As dogs get older things just don't work as well as they did when they were young.

Have you had a full Vet senior check done on your dog?

Val
I did, thanks for reminding though. I have her on probiotics called Pet Dophilus which works wonders for her wimpy digestive system.

Wish it was me with the problems than her...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Orijen is a great kibble to have her on. I've got my 10 yr old GSD on their regular formula (just so I can feed the same formula to both dogs).

I'm guessing you've had your dog to the vet and they've come up with nothing for the declining energy/health?

My 10 yr old has mild arthritis that has been progressing a little. I've got her on the Springtime Joint formula and it has helped a lot. Between that and the Orijen she's very high energy. Don't know if you're using a joint supp, but you might look into this one if not...I know of others who have had good results with it also.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Prersonally, I think if a dog tolerates the ingredients in those products, they can be very good. My dogs have never tolerated them. Lots of berries, etc. have high sugars and they inflame my GSDs ears -- grains too. Both of them seem not to tolerate things like barley grass, and only one can handle alfalfa.

I'm not so worried about the amounts -- dogs can use extra vitamin C, and they do also need iron. Typically, I would only worry about excess iron if they were already on a homeprepared diet, since those have higher amounts of quality meat.

I don't want to dismiss the heavy metal issue, but, with so many of these things, you darned if you do, and darned if you don't. There are a number of antioxidants that will help chelate heavy metals, including alpha lipoic acid. I used to know of a great product for that, but they don't seem to make it anymore.

I tend to like some of the Garden of Life Products:
http://www.gardenoflifeusa.com/ProductsforLife/SUPPLEMENTS/tabid/645/Default.aspx

Right now I am giving the Goatein and the Fruits of Life:
http://www.gardenoflifeusa.com/Productsf...49/Default.aspx

The fruit product is a powder, so I can control how much to give the GSD, because of his ear issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts