German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I never know where to put my questions so I hope this is in the right place :)

Over the course of the summer I will be enrolled in driver's ed, (age 16) and I want my dog to be safe while I drive. Having her be safe is my highest priority as a new driver and since we live in the city accidents are something I need to be prepared for.

I'm wanting to do hikes (harness is just for the car, not for hiking) and we will need to attend training classes, so a car harness is needed.

She is about 53 pounds at 7 months old and will be growing a bit more. Her girth is 26.5 , her weight is 53, her length 28, and her height about 20, giving this for accurate suggestions (all in inches).

I have previously used the Kurgo Journey however it was not crash tested, and I want something that is.

Here are the harness that I was looking at.

I've heard lots about the sleepypod, and most say if your dog can chill out (she can) they won't get tangled and it works.

https://www.amazon.com/Sleepypod-Cl...&sr=8-9&keywords=crash+tested+dog+car+harness

I also found this one which someone reviewed saying the actually were in a crash and it worked well.

https://www.amazon.com/EzyDog-DRIVE...s&keywords=crash+tested+dog+car+harness&psc=1

And here is the crash tested Kurgo harness but the price seems very low for something that should actually work which worries me.

https://www.amazon.com/Kurgo-Tru-Fi...&sr=8-3&keywords=crash+tested+dog+car+harness

So any suggestions for these or other harness. I need something that will protect her as best as possible and restrain her so she doesn't insist on being on my lap.

In the city there is a lot of stop and go traffic so even if there never is a crash/accident there is lots of stopping so the harness would be used regardless.

Thanks,

Alyssa

·
Registered
123 Posts
I bought a Ruff Rider harness. There are some different types and a size chart on their website if you want to check them out. I'm not allow to post a link to their website because I'm a new member :frown2: but you can easily find Ruff Rider online.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I bought the Ezydog drive from a local pet store, but returned it as I found it fiddly to get on and I didn't think it was very comfortable for my dog. The clerk in the store had had several returned for this reason. Because your dog is still growing, I would probably rule this model out for you, unless you don't mind replacing it when it's outgrown. I suggest you read all the customer reviews before making your decision as they contain some useful feedback.

I ended up with the mighty paw harness, I already had a heavy duty tether strap that clicks into the seatbelt 'cassette'. I didn't want a harness I had to thread a seat belt through. My dog is in the car a minimum of 2 trips for 40 minutes each day, I wanted a harness that's quick and easy to put on and take off. He often gets wet and muddy and I wanted something 'quick dry' as well. This was the review that 'sold' me on this harness:

"This harness saved the life of my dog and me the heart ache of loosing a puppy. First let me say that I set the lanyard that tethered my dog to the bed of my truck too loose. MY FAULT for what happened. My 10 month old 60lbs german shepherd decided to dive off the driver side of my truck on a windy mountain road in the Sierra Nevadas. Luckily I took the time to adjust the harness to fit her well and she just hung off the side of my truck (heart pounding in my throat as I watched this in the mirror) until I could safely slow down and pull off the side of the road. The harness didn't come off and although she got a few tread burns on her lower legs from hanging next to the rear tire I know she would have died with out it due to the on coming traffic. Thanks Mighty Paw! (Trying not to cry again). Will say these the size chart does seem undersized a bit. The large harness is maxed out and just barely fits my 85lbs dog German Shepherd."

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Paw-V...d=1526766922&sr=8-4&keywords=dog+harness+paws

·
Super Moderator
5,124 Posts
I use Kurgo Tru Fits. How it attaches to the seatbelts may make a difference. But honestly harnesses are only a little helpful. I also have screens in the windows from Breezeguard.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the Ezydog drive from a local pet store, but returned it as I found it fiddly to get on and I didn't think it was very comfortable for my dog. The clerk in the store had had several returned for this reason. Because your dog is still growing, I would probably rule this model out for you, unless you don't mind replacing it when it's outgrown. I suggest you read all the customer reviews before making your decision as they contain some useful feedback.

I ended up with the mighty paw harness, I already had a heavy duty tether strap that clicks into the seatbelt 'cassette'. I didn't want a harness I had to thread a seat belt through. My dog is in the car a minimum of 2 trips for 40 minutes each day, I wanted a harness that's quick and easy to put on and take off. He often gets wet and muddy and I wanted something 'quick dry' as well. This was the review that 'sold' me on this harness:

"This harness saved the life of my dog and me the heart ache of loosing a puppy. First let me say that I set the lanyard that tethered my dog to the bed of my truck too loose. MY FAULT for what happened. My 10 month old 60lbs german shepherd decided to dive off the driver side of my truck on a windy mountain road in the Sierra Nevadas. Luckily I took the time to adjust the harness to fit her well and she just hung off the side of my truck (heart pounding in my throat as I watched this in the mirror) until I could safely slow down and pull off the side of the road. The harness didn't come off and although she got a few tread burns on her lower legs from hanging next to the rear tire I know she would have died with out it due to the on coming traffic. Thanks Mighty Paw! (Trying not to cry again). Will say these the size chart does seem undersized a bit. The large harness is maxed out and just barely fits my 85lbs dog German Shepherd."

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Paw-V...d=1526766922&sr=8-4&keywords=dog+harness+paws

As much as I want a product that will restrain her and protect her in the car, I also need something she can sit and lay down in (and be comfortable.) So maybe that isn't the harness for us if it isn't very comfortable. We sometimes take long trips 2+ hours so no point in buying something she won't like because it isn't comfortable.

Honestly price doesn't matter to much for me, as long as it is within reason of course. So buying something and then having to size up isn't to bad, since I think our other dog would probably fit in the size she is when I buy whichever harness. Or worse comes to worse I could sell it for some of what I payed.

Might Paw is something I will definitely be looking into. My dog is very much in love with being in the rain/water and mud so that may be something that would work well for us when we go to the lake. I quite like the reviews 4.5 starts is higher then the others I was researching where it seems there's a half and half debate on if it's good or not.

That's quite a scary story, I don't know how I'd manage if my dog jumped out of the car like that. I'm glad it worked however, and for a dog close to Olivia's weight to. I'm definitely going to add this to my list of harnesses to check out.

Thanks so much!

-Alyssa

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use Kurgo Tru Fits. How it attaches to the seatbelts may make a difference. But honestly harnesses are only a little helpful. I also have screens in the windows from Breezeguard.
I'm aware they aren't perfect in regards to an accident I suppose I would just feel safer if she was in a harness. Better to have a seat belt then no seat belt in my opinion, so there is a bit of cushioning at least.

I'm guessing you don't have any problems with the Kurgo then? I quite liked her Kurgo Journey it just wasn't crash proof which worried me. I'll look into the Kurgo again as I know it has good reviews :)

I'll look into the screens as well. Interesting concept!

Thanks,

Alyssa

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Have you considered a crash tested crate?

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you considered a crash tested crate?
Unfortunately even if I wanted to do a crate there isn't any room in the car for something like that.

The car I drive is a Honda Civic, looks like this

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i....0i7i30k1.0.6KQxnOOB1Mc#imgrc=fuFzUUMRtCX7hM:

Link didn't go, look up 2005 honda civic and you'll get the picture.

So my choices are either to let her wonder or have a harness on, but since she likes to act like a lap dog I think the harness is best :)

Thanks for the suggestion!

-Alyssa

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
We got an sleepypod clickit for Windsor (he was 85 pounds), it was great for in the back seat of our Subaru Forester.

·
Super Moderator
5,124 Posts
Unfortunately even if I wanted to do a crate there isn't any room in the car for something like that.

The car I drive is a Honda Civic, looks like this

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i....0i7i30k1.0.6KQxnOOB1Mc#imgrc=fuFzUUMRtCX7hM:

Link didn't go, look up 2005 honda civic and you'll get the picture.

So my choices are either to let her wonder or have a harness on, but since she likes to act like a lap dog I think the harness is best :)

Thanks for the suggestion!

-Alyssa
This is why we also use harnesses and screens in our car. Can't fit one good size crate in the back seat of a Prius, never mind two. Oh, and I also use a hammock style seat cover. It is more cozy, protects the seat and there is no falling into the foot well between seats.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts