German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of waiting, we finally got Scarlett home last week (she's 9 weeks old today). So far, since she hasn't had her second round of parvo vaccine she's really only been in our house and backyard. I've carried her places to meet people and start socialization but her feet don't touch the ground! Is it safe to take her on little walks around a neighborhood (on the sidewalk)? I want to keep her safe from parvovirus, but also want to make sure she's exposed to new experiences.

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i waited untill my pup had his 2nd round of shots before we were
out and about. once my pup received his 2nd round of shots i waited
1 week before we were out and about. after his 2nd round of shots
his was in a puppy class. i didn't carry my dog places. i didn't want
him getting use to being carried.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks — that's kind in line with what I was thinking. No "dog places" until the 2nd round. The carrying was inside my daughter's school just so she could meet lots of people and get used to that situation. I definitely don't want her to start thinking she's a carry-around dog...

·
Registered
10,367 Posts
I have taken pups out and about as soon as I got them. Just took them to places that were low risk. The vet clinic is the one I wouldn't let them walk but carry them. Social inprinting closes at around 12 weeks. You want to show them your world before that time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have taken pups out and about as soon as I got them. Just took them to places that were low risk. The vet clinic is the one I wouldn't let them walk but carry them. Social inprinting closes at around 12 weeks. You want to show them your world before that time.
So, in my case, I live on a little parkway/greenway that is dog central. I'd never take her over there until round two of shots is past, but what about a sidewalk area? I'd think that would be a lower risk area?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
maybe social imprinting doesn't close at 12 weeks. what happens to
all of the pups that find homes at 10 weeks old, 11 weeks or 12
weeks old? they can be socialized, yes or no? i think
what you're saying about social imprinting closing at 12 weeks
is textbook referent, i question it in actual practice.

I have taken pups out and about as soon as I got them. Just took them to places that were low risk. The vet clinic is the one I wouldn't let them walk but carry them.

>>>> Social inprinting closes at around 12 weeks.<<<<

You want to show them your world before that time.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Yes, I agree about getting them out in safe places ASAP.

We walked our dog around a small block in our neighborhood. I've lived here a long time and know many people and how they take care of their dogs, so I felt safe. However I would not go two blocks away to the local park as they get so many other people and dogs from out of the area. We also visited our breeder a couple times to watch obedience training. I knew she was safe up there and all the dogs that attend are well cared for. You are lucky to have a yard, we do not - another reason we went out more often.

So it depends on your neighborhood. There are definitely some neighbors I would not take my dog even now.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think anywhere people or dogs are is a considerable risk.

So, in my case, I live on a little parkway/greenway that is dog central. I'd never take her over there until round two of shots is past, but what about a sidewalk area?

>>>> I'd think that would be a lower risk area?<<<<

1 - 10 of 10 Posts