German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a beautiful, fluffy, fat albino rabbit hopping around our gate this morning. (Why do I've to find the stray lost pets?). I tried to catch it but it ran into my neighbors backyard. I should've told them. I should've tried harder to catch it. I should've done a lot of things...I thought it was safe...

It came into our backyard after our walk, after I checked to make sure it wasn't there, after I let the dogs lose :'c and Smokey broke it's neck. It fumbled a few feet away outside our gate, then fell over. I ran outside hoping I could take it to the vet. I hope it didn't suffer. I'm upset some little kid is probably missing his/her rabbit right now. I had to scoop its limp body up and stare into it's unblinking pink eyes.

I fear there will be a day when Smokey or Zeeva will do the same to someone's little dog...

RIP Beautiful rabbit. I'm sorry I failed you and I hope Smokey, Zeeva and I meet you at the rainbow bridge on better terms. I hope you forgive us. I'm so sorry :::tears:::

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I'm sorry, it doesn't sound like it suffered at all. Dogs will be dogs and it's a natural reaction unfortunately for most dogs

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure it was a pet rabbit? The rabbits here are still white from winter.
It was definitely a pet bunny...we have cotton tail rabbits here in Las Vegas that are wild and have distinct characteristics. They don't ever turn white. It was well also very well fed and pretty slow for a rabbit...

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
It was most likely a pet rabbit that someone grew tired of, so they set it free. I suppose it was starving to death as pet bunnies can't forage for themselves. Your dogs helped put it out of it's misery.

It is sad, but the fault doesn't lay on your lap. Or your pups.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Chama got a lot of rabbits in her life but she touched a cat or a small dog. They know the difference.

And I'm sorry--I know how upsetting this is because Chama lived to 14 years old and those silly rabbits never learned to stay out of my backyard!!!!!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Im gona be the ahole/realist- Did you at least let your dog eat it? You dont waste an animal if you respect it.
Depending on the diet of their dog they might not be willing to feed it to them. I know the raw diet can be controversial with some people so I would understand it if they didn't want the dog to have it.

I'm on the raw side of the fence though and have recently considered raising rabbits for my dogs primary food sources. From my research it seems really quick to skin them if you choose not to feed the fur although I read somewhere there are some benefits to eating the fur. My current question is to go with live rabbits or dead/skinned.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I feed raw, thats why the first thing in my mind was free food.
Well not everyone thinks the same way as you do... I happen to have pet rabbits who are very sweet good natured animals and I'd never think to feed them to my dog. And no I'm not some 'bleeding heart', my dog gets raw too, he just doesn't eat my pets. Not saying it would have been bad for them to eat it but that isn't usually the first thing that comes to mind for people.

But I don't think there's anything for the OP to feel bad about, rabbits are awfully fast and hard to catch and dogs will do what dogs do, they are predatory animals.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Once its dead its best put to use, I wasnt suggesting that the dog keep killing rabbits. To bury it or throw it away is waste. I have had a rabbit in my yard tht just sits still for hours, I dont expect it this year with the puppy. I also have a black cat come through that kills birds and the flock follows it making noise. My girl hasnt chased any land based animals but chases birds.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I wouldn't have thrown the rabbit away. I would've let my dog eat it. I'm sorry you had to witness it but it happens. I have a white New Zealand rabbit and I let it hop around my dog. She licks it to death and plays with it! My husband is waiting for the day she snaps and eats it.... (I'm not letting that happen)

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
My dogs probably would have done the same thing, even if they didn't intend to kill it rabbits are super sensitive and the shock alone could have. Years ago I had just let Cheyenne & Chazzy out in the yard, they took off and I went to see. I was able to call Cheyenne off but my female Chazzy had grabbed a rabbit as it was trying to squeeze through the chain link. The poor thing was missing fur and the skin was all bloody, I doubt it survived but I was able to finally call Chazzy off and let it get thru the fence. Lakota wants to get the squirrel that teases her, she tries to climb the tree.

·
Registered
334 Posts
So sorry! Don't beat yourself up over this. Most would have assumed the rabbit had moved on and let their dogs out. Myself included, and I've had rabbits as pets.... It's not your fault at all. Sending best wishes to you for peace.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Wow it seems like you are under a great deal of stress. Too much going on with you. How is your prayer life? The bunny forgives you, in fact he never blamed you. You are blaming yourself, but no need. You don't have that kind of control. Things happen for reasons beyond our understanding. He is in control. Trust him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
I fear there will be a day when Smokey or Zeeva will do the same to someone's little dog...

RIP Beautiful rabbit. I'm sorry I failed you and I hope Smokey, Zeeva and I meet you at the rainbow bridge on better terms. I hope you forgive us. I'm so sorry :::tears:::
Zeeva, you need to stop carrying the world's problems on your shoulders and get rid of the feelings of guilt that are harming you. Get help if you need to, to live your life like it was meant to be.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts