German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted an image of Sadie's hips about two weeks ago to which everyone said, not great, but not the worst.
OFA sent me their evaluation: severe hip dysplasia at 15 mos old. Thankfully elbows were good and she was DM clear.
I have contacted her breeder, with no response. I double checked my contract which states "dog will not develop hip issues within 1 year". I purchased her June of last year and had her X-rays done on July 2nd, 2013. She not only developed hip dysplasia, but severe.
I have started her on supplements and she still seems to be in zero pain, but I am furious.
I have talked to others who have has similar if not worse experiences with this breeder and I'm furious that he can continue. He takes no responsibility for his actions and from what I understand says "don't like it, take me to court"
After talking with my husband I think we have agreed to do just that.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I'm so sorry about the hip results:(

I hope you can get some resolution .

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I'm so sorry :( That's not good news but not life ending either, hopefully with either treatment or maintenance she'll have a long happy life.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
:(

So sorry.....Not a good outcome and insult to injury that the breeder doesn't seem to care.

I'm sure with proper management Sadie will have a happy and pain free life....still...I just hate HD. :(

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the kind words, you have no idea how much it helps.
She is still being crazy Sadie :) so hopefully she can stay with me for many, many years.
Talked to the vet yesterday and he suggested some brands of supplements they use (glucosamine, chondrotin & msm) and was pretty encouraging...thank you all again

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
That is too bad....thankfully, she has an owner who loves her and will care for her...

If this is the dog I think it is, from your past posts, looking for the x-rays (weird that they are severe HD when so many people who are usually pretty good at 'eyeballing' x-rays)....there have been many people with issues with dogs from this breeder....Unless you are in the same state and want to pursue legal action, I doubt, given the info on time frames, you will get any satisfaction...."will develop" is ambiguous and you were past the 12 month period....

HD is not the end of the world - have seen several dogs with severe HD get IPO titles and live a fairly normal life....

Lee

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
the guarantee is next to useless because it is weasel words.

by this "I double checked my contract which states "dog will not develop hip issues within 1 year". I purchased her June of last year and had her X-rays done on July 2nd, 2013" -- I would have interpreted that as ONE YEAR from the dog's birth date , not one year from time of purchase so no matter at 15 months to do an x ray any negative result would have been of no consequence.

strange for severe rating to come back though?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did at least finally get the breeder on the phone (after calling from a different line and my husband speaking first) I was transferred to the breeder who had been dodging me for weeks. I at least was allowed to vent my frustrations, which on one hand made me feel better, but on the other still upsetting.
I've been such an advocate for people breeding healthy GSDs and had I have done more research prior to purchasing Sadie I would have known.
I was just as shocked as anyone a. Of all hearing from the vet SEVERE hip dysplasia and b. of all hearing it a second time from the OFA.
Nonetheless, she is my baby and I will do everything in my power to ensure she lives a long, happy life with us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts