German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 mo old german shepherd was just diagnosed with hip dysplasia. Here are Rocco's x-rays... he went in for limping, he was diagnosed with mild pano and moderate hip dysplasia. I've been trying to read up and the posts do seem optimistic but also having the morbid curiosity of worse case scenario. We paid a pretty penny for him to have parents with both certified hips so it's disheartening to get this diagnosis so early. I know there are no guarantees based on parents but we've been so careful with lean diet, no strenuous exercise, etc

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,749 Posts
my sister had two rescued boarder collies with mild HP. She still did agility with them. Of course they didn't pull first place since she didn't work them hard in practice, but they still had a good active life.

I hope you and your pup prosper.

·
Registered
31,387 Posts
You should go talk to an ortho and find out your options. Your dog is still a pup so you have more options than a THR.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Obvious question: Did you talk to breeder? I'd be quite upset if I paid for a healthy dog that did not turn out healthy. And this isn't a 9yo dog, it's a 7mo puppy

·
Premium Member
11,219 Posts
There is so much backmassing on a couple of WGSL dogs who had poor hips today, that this is all too common....getting nice hips is really a roll of the dice IMO even with the first couple of generations certified when there is heavy backmassing on a dog like Jeck Noricum for example....

Keeping him lean, with good diet and supplements can work wonders for the day to day life of the pup....

Good luck!

Lee

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Right now out of 7 dogs, I have 3 with hip dysplasia. 2 were caught when young enough for me to opt for surgery, which I did. One I had no choice because he dislocated his hip and the second hip was on its way to dislocating. I am not one to put dogs under for no reason, but there was no way that I was going to take the chance of having to put them down at 8 or 9 because they couldn't walk and surgery wasn't an option due to age. They are active dogs, not being able to move around and run and play would drastically reduce their quality of life. My senior that is 13 and not a GSD decided not to be able to walk one day a few months ago, I thought it was the end. I never expected HD with her, threw me off completely. She has never been a super active dog like the other two. She is on adequan and CBD oil and now doing much better. I am putting the two that had surgery on adequan too. My goal was as soon as I got my senior on the once a month but I ran into issues with a very sick kitty that costed a lot of money and didn't make it. So now I have to wait a little longer but they are still on the younger side.it will be a year instead of 6 months. The stuff is expensive when you first start it, but it seems to work and work well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Obvious question: Did you talk to breeder? I'd be quite upset if I paid for a healthy dog that did not turn out healthy. And this isn't a 9yo dog, it's a 7mo puppy
I have not yet, I'm going to email them today. Our contract states that they will replace the puppy within 2 years for "severe" hip dysplasia. I don't want another puppy. Yes, a refund would be nice (we paid $3,500 plus another $400 to have him crate trained) and then invested another $600 in their training facility so yes, this is disheartening but I know it happens so I can't blame them. :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A breeder can only control so much. Better to go in, level headed, with less emotions.
Yes, we knew there was a risk, even with the guarantee. We tried to follow all of the suggestions on exercise, weight, etc to do our part but still happens. This is no fault of the breeder but definitely would pay top dollar like we did in the future if we ever buy another dog.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, we knew there was a risk, even with the guarantee. We tried to follow all of the suggestions on exercise, weight, etc to do our part but still happens. This is no fault of the breeder but definitely would pay top dollar like we did in the future if we ever buy another dog.
definitely would *NOT* pay top dollar is what I meant

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is what the breeder responded with:

"I am sorry he is not doing well. A dog that has fast growth comes up with these kind of issues. I know you have done your best. Thanks for letting me know. "

I guess I'm even surprised they responded, not sure what else their reply would have been.

this was my original note:

"I wanted to send you some updates on Rocco - he is a handsome boy and a great family pet. We always receive compliments on his good looks. He is great with the kids and we have been working on him to socialize with other dogs and have continued with training out in Western Loudoun.

I did want to send you an update, however, on his overall health. Rocco started limping this earlier week so we took him to the vet rule out an injury. He was confirmed with pano (we know is common) and hip dysplasia. I was told that I should let you know. We have been very diligent to keep him on a lean diet, avoiding overexercising, and he has never been up or down stairs. We are very disheartened but know that these things happen.

I understand there is a two year guarantee for a replacement for another puppy but we intend to keep Rocco as he is a big part of our family. Attached is a picture of Rocco a month or two ago before both his ears came up along with his x-ray."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts