German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone 3 weeks ago today I made the most difficult decision of my life. I had to euthanize my funny handsome boy Dillon. He developed DEGENERATIVE MYELOPATHY which attacks the spinal cord. He was only 7 1/2 years old. He was a big boy who loved to sit on the kitchen chair. He was 95 lbs. It was like watching an elephant at the circus sitting on a stool. He filled my life with utter joy, loved any one who he encountered, and was truly my BF. His dishes have been put away along with his toys. I look for him in his resting places and in the back yard, but he's not there. His #1 toy was the frisbee. He'd pass up food for a toss Crying is something I do everyday. What a life. The silence is deafening. I need a pep talk. Can anyone help Thanks

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. He sounds like he was wonderful. It truly isn't fair that they are here with us for so short of a time.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I have seen this posted on several of other threads when someone has lost their friend and companion. I think it is really beautiful.

Last Night​
I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today, Your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care.
I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said " it's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.

It's possible for me, to be so near you everyday.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning
and say "good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out...then come home to be with me.

Author Unknown​

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Last Battle
If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this - the last battle - can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me until the end.
And hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree,
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close - we two - these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum...ends-15-years-2.html#post137662#ixzz139D5T2eQ

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i'm sorry for your loss. Words are never enough when we lose one we care about. I think you can find solace in the fact you provided a great life and home for him while he was with you. He'll send another to you when the time is right. That knowledge is something many of us hold to because its been proved true so many times. Its okay to grieve and put away his things. You'll bring them back out again when you're ready. It will get easier. Time eases the pain. DM is nothing you caused, its just something that happens. Its one of those uncontrollable things and though, we wish we could never have to worry about them getting sick, it happens. Your furry boy is running free at the bridge waiting for the time you meet again so he can give you those wet slobby kisses with the full body happy to see you wiggle we all know so much. he's watching over you and looking for another to help fill the void you're feeling. I know its hard. Cry. be angry. Do what you need to do but dont shut your heart to another. One day another dog will call to you and you'll provide a loving home to another grateful friend. Listen to your dreams.
I suggest you write a letter to Dilly. Tell him everything you want him to know. Get your feelings out there. Burn the letter, stick it in a bottle and float it down a river, tie it to a balloon and set it free. However you want to get the letter to him is up to you but writing it may really help. Give it a shot.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I am so very sorry :hugs: My thoughts are with you. Run free Dillion

·
Registered
572 Posts
louisebarron: Three weeks is so soon. I imagine the sorrow must still be very intense. :teary: I lost my first German Shepherd to degenerative myelopathy. Like your Dillon, he was also a handsome and fun companion. At the vet clinic, he was very popular because he was such a flirt with all the vet techs--they all called him their big love monkey.

When he left me, I was so lost like you feel. The sight of his dish, his toys, his blanket, were all so painful and made the tears flow. He is buried out at the pet cemetery, and it did help me to visit often and leave flowers and or little toys. It was also very helpful to journal and write down our memories. I pasted in the journal the photos of when he was a baby and growing up into a handsome full grown dog.

Although it sounds like a cliché, the passing of time does heal and help. My heartfelt condolences to you. RIP Dillon.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
My deepest sympathies, I lost two companions this year so I know how hard it is. Time really does help. I now have a new love that is the light of my life but the others are not forgotten.

·
Registered
156 Posts
RIP Dillon!

I am so so sorry foryour loss, but please take comfort tht your beloved friend is no longer in pain.

I, too, lost my best friend earlier this year, a beautiful female shar pei who had bad blood lines. She was only a puppy, and was in a lot of pain, but still wanted to be right beside me through it all. She passed away in my arms and I felt like itd never get easier... like Id never be able to bring home another puppy and love them as much... but alas about 8 months have gone by and even though I am crying as I type this I know Olivia is in a better place - just as I am sure Dillion is. I believe that they are with us daily, and want us to be happy, and are truly greatful for having such a great friend, to make the hardest decision a friend will ever have to make for them. The decision that they can't make for themselves.

I, too, now have a new love... she reminds me a lot of Olivia, but she is different, I love Olivia and she will always have a special place in my heart and mind, but now I feel like I can love and care for Jordan too. : )

Keep your chin up, from one friend to another, it will get better.

-Jess

PS. I had her cremated and have made a little shrine on my headboard, I keep her pictures close, and think about her often.... this helps me. : )

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
DM sadly claims many GSD lives - I am so sorry that Dillon had to be among them. Though his time with you was short, in truth it doesn't matter how long they live, it is never long enough. You have wonderful memories of him, and that is what will comfort you in the months and years to come - it is painful now, but as time passes, the loss will become muted, and perhaps when the moment is right, another Dillon will come into your life, and the joy will begin all over again.

RIP dear boy, run free at the Bridge..........

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
i am so sorry for your loss. rip dillon, bless your heart.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I know how painful this is for you -- just devastating.

I lost my Jasmine in July of 2009 at the age of 9. My Morgan girl died 2 years before that, almost reaching 10. And a few years before that, I lost my Tyler, who I had for 14 years -- most of my adult life.

Each time was devastating. After losing Jasmine, I didn't think I'd ever recover. Then, like magic, a year and a few weeks later, a friend sent me an e-mail titled, "Don't be mad at me..." and there was a Craigslist ad for a puppy -- a bad situation which was confirmed really bad when I called (after much hesitation). The next morning, I was determined to save this puppy from being a junkyard dog or backyard breeder. She was being kept in a crate about 20 hours a day and spanked for peeing in there.

I couldn't believe my heart was capable of such recovery when I got Layla last July.

So, the healing will come and your heart will recover. For now, just know people undestand, and, again, I am so so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss, I lost my 8 yr old great dane to bloat in August, and I am still completely devastated. He was everything to me and losing him hit me incredibly hard. I know exactly how you feel looking at his "spots" and his things... It's the same for me. Even when I go for the hairspray sometimes I cry, he loved the smell of it. It's the hardest thing in the world to do, especially when it claims them far too soon. All I can say is that I understand, I'm here if you ever want to talk, and light will enter your life again. Mine came in the form of an 8 week old GSD puppy.

In fact, just now when I read the poem above, I started sobbing... Remi dropped the bone he was chewing on, stood, and walked over to me, whimpering, as if to say, "Don't be sad, I'm here!" And so I begin the journey again with him. :)

Hang in there. *hugs*

1 - 16 of 16 Posts