German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping German Shepherd Lovers will be able to give us advice. Two weeks ago our neighbour was found dead in his house, he had been there for about 5 days with his two beautiful shepherd dogs Prinnie (11 yrs) and Tazer (2 yrs). Like all good Shepherd's they stayed by his side. The dogs were taken to the Lost Dogs Home and were assessed and given a good report but needed new homes. My 16 yr old niece has been apart of these dogs lives for many years and didn't want them put down. We have a smallish backyard so unable to take on 2 dogs, we just don't have the space. Prinnie is now with one of our neighbour's friends and we have Tazer who listens to my niece at all times. He is so well trained, intelligent and beautiful. But we know he is missing his pal Prinnie while learning to adjust to a new yard. We want to know Are We Doing The Right Thing for Tazer? Tazer was a dog that lived inside and outside the house, but we have a cat which has now become an inside cat and thus Tazer an outside dog. He does seem ok, he doesn't try to come into the house and we have plenty of outside shelter. Tazer has daily walks and is very well behaved when out. He does howl and cry at times mainly at night but he listens to us but we know he is sad which breaks our hearts. At the moment my niece is on school holidays and I work fulltime, we are worried what Tazer will be like once she goes back to school :-( Our main concern right now is his eating. He only eats if we hand feed him and he is not eating much at all. We love Tazer and want him to be part of our family. We are giving him lots of cuddles but can we be doing more?

Attachments

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
well one, he is grieving the loss of his owner and two he is grieving the loss of his fur sister. He needs time just like anyone else would. That cant have been an easy experience for him. Does he not get along with the cat is that why he's been relagated outside? These dogs NEED to be with their pack. They're very dependent on their pack so bringing him in to be a big part of the family might help him a great deal. I would also stop hand feeding him. He needs to learn to eat from a bowl. He wont starve himself. They will only become more depressed if left to be outside dogs. They adjust very easily to being inside if you'll allow it. Make him a full family member. Between he and the cat, i'm sure he would learn very quickly the cat is off limits WITH TRAINING on the LEAVE IT command. If the dog ignores the cat, the cat will also learn the dog isnt a problem but remember to give the cat his own private place to go that the dog cant when he needs a break.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree with KZoppa... GSD's in particular need to be included with their family as an inside dog if at all possible. I think including him would make a big difference in how he adjusts. Thanks for caring about him and wanting him to be part of your family.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Thanks for giving this dog I home. I would bring him in the house--gsds really don't do well as outside only dogs. You can make it work! Many of us have cats and dogs living together in the house. My 18yo cat sleeps with my 4yo dog.

If you are worried about the cat's safety you can put up baby gates and keep the dog in a room or in a crate while you are gone. You can also train him to accept the cat and vise-versa.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Congrats on taking him in. My dog and cat do awesome together. He herds her around the house and they play, eat and sleep together. The biggest thing is having high places of baby gated rooms where the cat can go to chill out away from the dog. As long as they can go to their own spot and have peace it's okay. Also, work on Leave It with Tazer and he'll do great. But IMO dogs are a part of your family and should be such in the house. Just my two cents anyway.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
My dog and cat also do well though they do need supervision at all times. You can easily create areas that are for the dog using baby gates giving the cat some reprieve while the two adjust or even separate by floors if you have a two story home. Hopefully it would be temporary anyway and the two would cohabitate nicely in a few months. GSD's are definitely family oriented and especially after what this guy has been through he needs you guys and a home inside with his new people. You could crate him during the day when you go to work to keep your home and kitty in one piece but at least he would be inside, with the smells of his new family, and a warm place to sleep. He's howling because he's not happy at there and honestly you can't blame him:)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
well said Zoey's Mom

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I agree with everyone, GSD 's need to be with their people. I had a cat when we got our first GSD and it worked out. My co-worker has had up to two GSD and a cat at one time.

Is it also possible for the 2 dogs to visit each other once in awhile?

Thanks for taking him in, he is a beautiful dog.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I agree with valerie (and others), he also may be missing his fur friend, since the neighbor has her, maybe you can get them together???

I have 3 dogs, 5 cats all inside animals, cats were here first, but the dogs love having the kitties around for buddies:)

so nice of you to take him in :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm the least qualified to speak on this, but i will anyways. bring tszer indoors. my gsd pup seems to really need the pack experience. she seems to have quickly adjusted to my place and gets ridiculous when she can't be near me or the other dog.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Poor guy!! I agree with everyone else on bringing him inside. He prob feels left out and is especially sensitive at this time in his life!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts