German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You had suggested trying Annamaet Encore for my Maxwell to help calm his stinky :sick: digestion. I found it in a local store and WOW! Almost immediately his gas problem vanished and he really is acting like a puppy again.
:doggieplayball: I know I sound like a commercial, but his food is the only change we made, so it must be it.
He was previously eating California Natural Lamb Meal & Rice, which I thought was a decent food. He did well on it for a long time, but then I guess his body didn't like it anymore.

thank you so much!

Sincerely,
Maxwell's Family :D

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
If your dog ever gets picky, watch out. You'll be accused of caring too much and feeding your dog wrong.

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
:spittingcoffee: Konotashi, that was awesome!

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
You had suggested trying Annamaet Encore for my Maxwell to help calm his stinky :sick: digestion. I found it in a local store and WOW! Almost immediately his gas problem vanished and he really is acting like a puppy again.
:doggieplayball: I know I sound like a commercial, but his food is the only change we made, so it must be it.
He was previously eating California Natural Lamb Meal & Rice, which I thought was a decent food. He did well on it for a long time, but then I guess his body didn't like it anymore.

thank you so much!

Sincerely,
Maxwell's Family :D

I have been using his products since they were literally in plain brown paper bags.

There is more to a food than the list of ingredients.

If you carefully look through the website you will see why they are so good.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
If your dog ever gets picky, watch out. You'll be accused of caring too much and feeding your dog wrong.
These folks don't like my philosophy of feeding the same food, same amount, same time every day. They like to spoil dogs to the point they are picky and playing them like a fiddle.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
These folks don't like my philosophy of feeding the same food, same amount, same time every day. They like to spoil dogs to the point they are picky and playing them like a fiddle.
No, we like to give our dogs a variety so they dont have to keep eating the same thing over and over again. We like to see our dogs eat and not starve because we are too stubborn to feed them what they like instead of what we like.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Agreed. Picky eaters are created, not born.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I have seen people at the feed store literally in tears looking for something their dogs would eat. In tears..LOL..Put it down, if they don't eat take it away and try next time. No reason to talk baby talk or rotate foods or play games.

Tough love.

:)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
First time I tried broccoli, I hated it. I'm not eating it. If Ozzy doesn't like something, I'm not going to make him eat it. That's not fair. I wouldn't want to eat something I hated.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
It's so easy to say, "Tough Love" when you don't have a picky dog. I find it hard to believe that you would have a dog in front of you, not eating, losing weight, is already underweight, and is just staring at the food in front of it, and say, "Eat it or starve." Some dogs WOULD prefer to starve than eat what's in front of them.

Ozzy wouldn't eat the chicken/rice. It was the first bag of dog food I bought him. He was picky before the cans and the raw. How did I create his pickiness if I never fed him table scraps and hardly ever gave him treats, even during training? He prefers his ball for training now over treats!

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
It's so easy to say, "Tough Love" when you don't have a picky dog. I find it hard to believe that you would have a dog in front of you, not eating, losing weight, is already underweight, and is just staring at the food in front of it, and say, "Eat it or starve." Some dogs WOULD prefer to starve than eat what's in front of them.

Ozzy wouldn't eat the chicken/rice. It was the first bag of dog food I bought him. He was picky before the cans and the raw. How did I create his pickiness if I never fed him table scraps and hardly ever gave him treats, even during training? He prefers his ball for training now over treats!
I think this is all your in head. A healthy dog will eat when you break the habit. The dog stares at you because he/she is waiting for you to indulge him. I bet if you left the dog with a friend he/she would eat like a hog.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I think until you deal with a picky eater - a REAL picky eater - first hand, you should back off. And no, he doesn't eat when my mom, dad, or bf tries to feed him.

Anyway, to the OP, I'm glad Maxwell is feeling better. I bet your nose feels better too. I've only got a whiff of 3 Ozzy farts and WOW. They're definitely worse than the other dogs' farts. LOL I guess better food = worse toots!

·
5,627 Posts
I guess better food = worse toots!
I have to disagree with this. Raven has farted maybe once in her 3 years with me. The only time my fosters farted was if they were really stressed. They never did once they settled in and adjusted to their food. Better food (if it's being digested properly) should equal less output (poo and gas).

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have seen people at the feed store literally in tears looking for something their dogs would eat. In tears..LOL..Put it down, if they don't eat take it away and try next time. No reason to talk baby talk or rotate foods or play games.

Tough love.

:)
I don't know, I am torn on this subject. From the day I got Sigurd, he would not eat what was put in front of him. I was told to put his food down, and if he doesn't eat it, raise it and repeat thru the day. I was following this and he literally did not eat for three days when he was 10 weeks old. That was tough to see. I started to add wet food and he'd eat it, slowly, but after a while it was the same cycle. I tried feeding it differently, free feed, set times, only food in the bowl ~20 minutes, hand feed, play a game and toss the food. After a year plus of basically ignoring him & trying to course him into eating when he didn't eat (he'd go days and days without eating). I had enough, I bought all sorts of different foods (which all included chicken). I purchased a kibble ~6 months ago that didn't have chicken. What do ya know? He eats like a normal dog now, sometimes even wants more!! I don't believe I made him picky at all. He was and is picky. He doesn't like a lot of foods, he won't take most things I give him from the table.

Edited: You said that if you left a dog with a friend/family it would eat like a hog. Untrue on so many levels. He stayed with my parents and basically didn't eat the whole time. He stayed at a kennel and he wouldn't eat so they have him their not so healthy food topped with hot dogs (the boarder even said he was reluctant to eat that).

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

I tend to lean in that direction also.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I had ANY one of my dogs miss a meal. Now treats, that's different. Max will only eat Beggin' Strips!
LOL!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Our last gsd ate the same food every day for all of her happy healthy 10 yrs. She had parvo as a very young pup and had a very sensitive stomach afterward so when she ate the dry I gave her that's what we stayed with. Now with Stosh I had a similar experience as Sigurd's Mom. I was feeding Stosh Nature's Variety kibble and raw chicken patties- he ate enough to stay alive. I started adding eggs, yogurt, etc to entice him to eat and he would just eat the good stuff off the top. One day when I put down the raw chicken he literally backed up and hid under the kitchen table. I switched to a chicken free kibble and he's eating really well. I do agree that we create picky eaters more often than not but there are times when the dog just can't tolerate certain foods.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts