German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always had German shepherds that were traditional blk and tan and found a sable German shepherd that I might get ,can u tell me the difference besides coat?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sables are European working line dogs. Black and tans are usually (not always) West German and American show lines.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sables are uglier. People are more likely to pet your black and tan and run from your Sable.

Also Google German Shepherd show line vs working line

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Earlier today, I saw some runners. "We are running away from the sable!" they shouted and I followed them at the fastest speed.
Long story short, if you don't like your sable puppy, I have no choice but to take it ASAP...:D
Back to the OP: Its important to take a dog that suits your lifestyle and comes from a good breeder.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
No difference other than the color. Sables do occur more often in working lines so make sure the dogs you had before weren't show line, then there's going to be a big difference.

Kinda funny people are going on about running away from sables. My last female was gold sable, beautiful girl but she was fierce. Everyone gravitated towards her and away from my black and red boy. He's a charm but he's got those eyes...

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
If you are just looking for a pet both lines would make great pets. Just go to a good breeder. Doesn't really matter the color because you are going to fall in love with the dog either way. Temperment is key because it's harder to fall in love with a dog thats skittish or aggressive.

I'm only half joking about the ugly thing. All my friends thought my black and tan was prettier than my dark Sable. I also found people were more willing to come up and ask to pet my black/tan and not so much my Sable. Heck I'm sure a couple of people don't even know he's a German Shepherd. I love the fierce look though. I just tell him to sit still in the front yard. Keeps all the salesman away.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
I prefer sables, solely based on color. I've grew up with a gorgeous black and tan. But, personally, sables get my gander.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I prefer sables personally.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't think the colour really influences the looks of the gsd. It is just based on your preference. I have seen many ugly and scary-looking black and tans and adorable sables, though I personally prefer the black and tans. But that's probably because mine is black and tan. :)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
who buys a dog based on what other people think? Btw my sable girl looks stunning. I brought her to a local german showline shutz trainer and he said shes one of the best conformation working lines hes seen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are correct, my wife saw the sable and asked what kind of dog it was, I started laughing and told her it was a german shepherd.

If you are just looking for a pet both lines would make great pets. Just go to a good breeder. Doesn't really matter the color because you are going to fall in love with the dog either way. Temperment is key because it's harder to fall in love with a dog thats skittish or aggressive.

I'm only half joking about the ugly thing. All my friends thought my black and tan was prettier than my dark Sable. I also found people were more willing to come up and ask to pet my black/tan and not so much my Sable. Heck I'm sure a couple of people don't even know he's a German Shepherd. I love the fierce look though. I just tell him to sit still in the front yard. Keeps all the salesman away.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sables are uglier. People are more likely to pet your black and tan and run from your Sable.

Also Google German Shepherd show line vs working line

What?!! You can't tell me that this is ugly! Look at how handsome he is :) (To each thier own, though)

I will agree that people tend to run away from him more often than not. He looks fierce and many people think he's a wolf cross. :confused:

My old black and tan guy got a lot more friendly attention than my sable.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts