German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saber is 13 weeks and had her first puppy class tonight! I am mainly doing it for socialization and for practice.

It went like this:
"First we will teach the puppies to sit." (Teacher demonstrates luring to sit). "Now, try and have your puppies sit!"

Me: "Sit." Saber sits.

"Oh she knows how to sit! Excellent! Next we will teach them to Down." (Teacher demonstrates how to lure into a down). "Now try and have your puppies down."

Me: "Down." Saber downs.

"Oh! You've already worked with her, very good. Let's try walking on a leash!"

I walk her up and down the corridor on a leash and she does great!
Teacher then holds Saber, has me go around the corner and call "come" and lets her go. She comes. Yay!!!

Good girl Saber! Teacher also commented on how nicely she laid by my feet while she was talking and the other pups were barking and pulling. Saber gets lots of practice being calm on my daughter's kindergarten playground :)

The BEST part was when they let the puppies loose to visit. Saber was really hesitant. She kept sitting behind people or in a corner, looking rather nervous about the puppies coming over to her. But by the end of class she was running around having the zoomies, play bouncing and having a blast with the other pups. I am so glad I signed up!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Woohoo!!! Good girl Saber!!!! That is sooo awesome!

I bet Saber will be the main demonstration dog in this class, and the overall obedience star!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
yeah Saber she is going to be the star of the class:))

·
Registered
27,302 Posts
Glad to hear she took the other pups in stride and engaged with them! Puppy time is so much fun!!!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Wow, they're teaching sit and down on the first night of puppy class?! I agree, the best part is playtime

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All breed, 8 week class for puppies up to 8 months old, although the oldest is only 5 months. They do the AKC STAR test at the end.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
WTG Saber and Shawn!!!! Sounds like your instructor taught a great class! Those GSD's are always the class stars.

·
Registered
625 Posts
What class are you attending?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's "Puppy Kindergarten" with the STAR test at the end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts