German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
Nice obedience, nice training and a nice dog. Nice control but not entirely practical in an actual deployment.

Reactions: telavivgsd

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Slamdunc,
I have heard that the between the legs "tactical maneuvering" like that is not really used in the real field so to speak. Is that true?

I have heard that training that kind of rear end control is super good for dogs hips and balance. Don't know if that is true. Others want to comment?

Happy Thanksgiving.

Reactions: telavivgsd

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesn't work. I have been out in the yard with Athena for an hour yelling ENZA. She just keeps looking at me like I'm crazy.

Haha I tried walking over Klaus and I got a very clear "could you not" look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
902 Posts
Neat! I taught Finn to go around and stand between my legs as a pup. He will now stay there while moving forward, turning, and backing up(still working on speed). Actually wasn't very hard to train and he thinks it's fun.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure what happened, but I think they took the video down. I'll try to find it again. Here's another video of the same dog, but it's not as high quality/in English:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Great video!

I have taught Newlie to weave in and out of my legs but I am sorry to say it resembles this video in only the most elementary sense. The fact that the dog goes between my legs is the only common denominator, lol. Newlie sometimes decides he wants to weave on his own or anticipates the command and I have to say it is a little disconcerting to have a giant head pop through when you aren't expecting it. He is tall and I am short, so you get the picture.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Athena will weave between my legs in a figure eight when I first get home and let her out of her crate. She reminds me of a giant cat rubbing against my legs while whining. But it is only when she is all excited.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
We are teaching the service dogs the cover me, where they face the opposite way to alert their owner if someone is walking up behind them, but only when they are standing still. It's always neat to watch a dog work that has such good obedience/working skills. Even if it's not really applicable in real life.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
here is another video a friend of mine shared on facebook a few weeks ago. "not his video" The only thing I am not sure about this video is the dog seems to me to be coming out of his stays before he is being summoned. When the guy taps the dog back in place the dog is basically already there. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe its supposed to be this way.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
We are teaching the service dogs the cover me, where they face the opposite way to alert their owner if someone is walking up behind them, but only when they are standing still. It's always neat to watch a dog work that has such good obedience/working skills. Even if it's not really applicable in real life.
What is the purpose of that for a service dog?

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
This girl shows how easy the basics of it can be trained. Maybe I will work with Rosko on between the legs heel. He seems to be getting bored with our same old tired obedience training. I am sure he'll enjoy something new.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
What is the purpose of that for a service dog?
For someone with PTSD a person coming up behind them without their knowledge can trigger an anxiety or panic attack or even a flashback. In a crowded store, knowing someone, the dog, has their six and will alert them lowers their anxiety level.

When I explained to the class what we were going to train the dogs to do, one girl almost had a meltdown. Due to relief. She has anxiety and panic attacks for fear she will literally hurt someone coming up behind her if she is unaware they are there until they are behind her. For her it causes a flashback and she goes on the attack.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
The dog doesn't do it when they are walking, only when they stop. Demi will look back when walking and start touching my son to alert him to someone coming up behind him.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts