German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I should start by saying that Russ was my SO's dog, and he decided to move back to NY without his dog. This was almost 2 years ago, and I’ve been trying to find the perfect home for that big goofy dog for about a year and a half. I love Russell, but I am not the best home for him. He's a good boy, but seriously gets on my last nerve. My GSD club has helped with a few leads, but no one came along that was a good fit.

My son's girlfriend has always liked him, and her tiny elderly dog died this past fall. She’s a great dog owner, has always wanted a big dog, and expressed an interest in Russ. The only potential obstacle was her roommate's neurotic border collie. If they didn’t get along, it would be a no go. So, I packed his bags, and off he went (I felt like I was a parent dropping him off at college, lol).

Well, so far Russ hasn’t eaten the BC, and in fact sleeps with him. They LOVE him. I’m delighted! Plus he gets to see my son all the time too, since he only lives 2 miles away. I’ll still be bathing him, and keeping him if she needs to board him. I couldn’t be happier! My house is so calm with just my GSD girls, lol.

I know rehoming a dog is such an unpopular thing with so many people. I get the whole “you have a dog for life”, but not when you and the dog aren’t a good fit. This is such a win-win for all of us.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Sounds like a win for all involved. I get it. I sent a dog I had owned for years with a roomie that was moving out because he was clearly her person. I rehomed another after it killed one of my animals, I tried but I knew I was treating her different and it wasn't fair. Boyfriend left behind his dog when he split and I felt the same as you, nice dog just not my dog. I kept him for a year and then rehomed him.

I'm glad you found the right spot for him and at least you are close if he needs you.

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s taken a whole year and a half of looking. I’ve had people who wanted him, but none of them felt right. I was fully prepared to keep him forever, but Russ really deserves a person who is crazy about him. That’s not me. I miss him a teeny bit, but not enough to live with him, haha. What’s funny is that he has always been everyone’s favorite of my GSDs. Everybody LOVES him. Go figure!

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I joked with my son, and said I hope his girlfriend doesn’t wake up one day and think “Hey, wait a minute! This is like having that one freeloader friend that sprawls on your couch all day long, and eats all your food”. He laughs at me.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
That is great! I see too many times where people struggle to make it work and everybody suffers. Not all dogs are right for all people. Glad you will still get to see him once in a while too.

Good luck in your new home Russ!

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
That’s great Russ gets to see your son! He is like your grand pup! Russ is such a handsome boy. I’m glad he will be spoiled by love! I was greatful for our first gsd we got him from a rehome family that could not keep him anymore -they were heartbroken. We were his third family. It was hard for Karat the first few weeks but he adjusted greatly once he let them go and bonded with his forever family -we gave him the best life!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm glad to hear it's working out! I used to be in the "dog for life" camp until I got more into dog sports and training. If it's not a good fit for your family, there's no issue with finding someone who is a better fit. I'm also glad he's somewhat with family still. I'll bet the transition was somewhat easier since he kind of knew your son's girlfriend. Best of luck to Russ in his new home!

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
It is sometimes in the best interest of a dog to be rehomed! It is not an easy decision but when it is better for the dog there is NOTHING wrong with it!!!

I recently rehomed one of my females - a gorgeous gorgeous titled, koered female who had had 3 litters of super nice talented pups....I could have bred her again and probably should have .....getting flak for not doing so actually as she produced so well! But a super home was networked to me by the owner of the sire of her last litter and she loves the people, the attention, the being an only dog who sleeps on their bed, is the focus of their leisure time and left me without a backward glance! It was the right thing to do for HER....

So congratulations to Russ for finding HIS heart home and to you for seeing it and making that decision for his happiness!

Lee

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would have worried about giving him to a stranger, even if it checked out, but this is perfect. My son sends me photos of Russ, and has let me know how he’s adjusting. I’m not worried about him at all. I’m so happy, lol. It’s not like he’s moved far away. He’s only 30 minutes north of me, and my son and his girlfriend live 2 miles from each other. Her roommate is home a lot, and loves Russ too. He’s getting way more attention than he did with me.

I sent him with the extra jolly ball.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
The a-dog-is-for-life people seem to be worried that a re-homed dog will miss his previous owner, be miserable that they are the only ones in he entire world who can provide the best home the dog can have. But dogs are very flexible and thrive when their basic needs are met; being understood and loved, training/play, good food and attention. How else is fostering, boarding and adoption working? For a dog boarding and fostering is the same experience as being re-homed as they (seem to) live in the moment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I love that he sends you pictures - Russ looks happy and loved.

Our girl was returned to the breeder just shy of her 1 year birthday - the very young couple were expecting a baby, the dog had little training, grandma had been pressuring them for awhile to get rid of her - and you know what, it turned out to be the right decision.

We are retired and she gets lots of love and attention, her obedience is coming along nicely. I think she would have ended up left outside and alone if they had kept her.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts