German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Ozzy has a ruptured anal gland and is now on two antibiotics, Rimadyl, and is wearing of course a huge collar. Anyone gone through this? I can't stop worrying. He's doing pretty well. This morning however there was still some bleeding, although it was goopy. Can't tell if he found his way around the collar at night and chewed on it. Am thinking of adding extra cardboard pieces or something to the collar to really ensure he can't get back there!

Any advice greatly appreciated! (or words of consolation!)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
been there done this twice with two diff gsd's. I did not use rimadyl and the most recent one was on cephlex as an antibiotic, plus I had the area shaved by the vet, keep the area very clean , always clean after pottying.

If you think it will be an ongoing problem (which it can be and can result in fistula's) I would consider having the glands removed..

Hope he heals quickly

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
the first one many many years ago, I ended up having his glands removed because we couldn't really clear it up,,he was fine afterwards and lived a long healthy life.

The second one was oh, maybe 6 years ago, he ruptured his gland and oh whatta mess:( his resulted in a fistula,,I opted to try the cyclosporine route (very expensive) and if that didn't work, was more than ready to have his removed to,,the cyclo did the trick and he lived a long healthy life as well, a couple of fistula flare ups but nothing extreme.

I have a few friends who have had the glands removed on their dogs, the vets will tell you they could end up incontinent, but no one I know ever has,,the trick is finding a skilled board certified surgeon to do it..

The first week or two is kind of a pain, but they heal quickly.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I would hesitate using the Rimadyl, unless you have done the bloodwork that they are supposed to do before prescribing it and you know your dog tolerates it. It might impede healing.

My vet said that glands take a long time to heal completely and require longer doses of antibiotics. By boy's "gland blow" was actually a fistual, so I can't help with the timeline.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts