German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have been feeding our gsd the wellness large breed puppy food and she hasn't had a solid stool yet...when we took her to the vet to get her rabies shot the vet said she was very healthy so could it be the dog food? Also if so what is another good kind to feed her that won't break the bank?

·
Registered
9,714 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you I don't really know what to look for in dog food is the thing I'm new to this I just want the best for my gsd without spending a lot....shoul I get grain free? Is large breed puppy food better than reg puppy food?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,714 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I would get grain free for the puppy. It's to high in protein. Riley had issues with it making him grow to fast and limping. We switched to adult with grain dog food and he's doing better.

He also would get runny poo often. We started putting proenzymes on his food and that has solved the runny poo problem.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would stick with something like Origen or blue buffalo they may be a little higher in price but well worth it

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I would stick with something like Origen or blue buffalo they may be a little higher in price but well worth it
my vet told me to get the kirkland/costco food, but I didn't. All my dogs eat blue buffalo. My vet seems to have something against it, but my dogs to really well on it. So I got Riley the regular adult (not large breed) BB chicken and brown rice.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
You said you switched to adult dog food is Bella to young she is 4 months

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Riley is 5 months. The vet said puppy food will make him grow to fast. The large breed grain free was to high in protein. Since we switched to the adult food he hasn't been limping.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Are there any studies that show adult dog food is better for puppies instead of puppy food, especially LB puppy food? Or is it just the notion that adult food will slow down their growth.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you may have to switch brands several times before you
find one that your dog likes and works for your dog. you
can always add some fresh meat, fish, fowl, certain fruit,
oils, egg, plain yogurt, etc. to his kibble.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
read the ingredients and analysis.

Are there any studies that show adult dog food is better for puppies instead of puppy food, especially LB puppy food? Or is it just the notion that adult food will slow down their growth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts