German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
I am not so sure. I also am a runner and take my dogs on a mowed path 1/2 mile around our property and plan to increase that. I am not so sure about 6-7 miles at one time. Maybe if it was broken up into two 3 mile runs a day a couple times a week. I guess it depends on the dog and his health. I would recommend to bump up the mileage or time running gradually. I have been a runner for 7 years and have competed quite a bit so I have read a lot on running. With us humans you never increase your mileage by more than 10% in one week. Also you may want to try to bump up a little then decrease mileage before bumping up a little more if you feel your dog can tolerate. How often do they run together and how fast does hubby run? Is it as your husbands pace or your dogs?? Also never run 7 days a week. As with us humans your body needs a day or two for resting. I also have heard that a dog will not stop running if his master is still going and will continue on.... even to death.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.