German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Malik is over 3 years old, and my hb takes him on regular runs with him, anywhere from 45 mn to an hour. He seems to be fine in general, and my hb runs at a nice relaxed pace, so it's not like he's trying to break records. He even lets Malik take a dip in a couple of creeks. Not a lot of pavement running involved, just a little, it's mainly on trails.
Today he decided he wants to go further, about 1.5hr or so, something like 6 or 7 miles. I'm a tad concerned as Malik runs fine with him but in general doesn't have the energy of a lab, if you see what I mean. I just worry that it could be too much stress on him, or his paws, and am seeking advice on that.
As a note, he had surgery on one leg when 1.5 year old, but is totally fine now.
Thanks for your posts,
Aude

·
Registered
151 Posts
If he's already running 45-60 minutes and doesn't have any problems, then he is already on his way to being conditioned to have the endurance to run longer.

Your husband may want to consider ramping it up before going straight to 90 minutes to ensure Malik builds up the endurance to handle it. Maybe do 75 minutes for a few weeks, then go into 90 minutes.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I am not so sure. I also am a runner and take my dogs on a mowed path 1/2 mile around our property and plan to increase that. I am not so sure about 6-7 miles at one time. Maybe if it was broken up into two 3 mile runs a day a couple times a week. I guess it depends on the dog and his health. I would recommend to bump up the mileage or time running gradually. I have been a runner for 7 years and have competed quite a bit so I have read a lot on running. With us humans you never increase your mileage by more than 10% in one week. Also you may want to try to bump up a little then decrease mileage before bumping up a little more if you feel your dog can tolerate. How often do they run together and how fast does hubby run? Is it as your husbands pace or your dogs?? Also never run 7 days a week. As with us humans your body needs a day or two for resting. I also have heard that a dog will not stop running if his master is still going and will continue on.... even to death.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
i am a runner and take luc with me on most of my training runs. he can run 25k+.

just have your husband build up malik the same way he would build up his own mileage, and be aware of heat now that summer is here. i would bring a folding bowl and some water for malik (not too much, as i understand drinking too much water can cause bloat), and maybe also if he's hot splash his undersides with water (something i do regularly while hiking or backpacking). i don't bring food/treats for luc as it's not necessary, and again, why tempt bloat.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Originally Posted By: Aude I'm a tad concerned as Malik runs fine with him but in general doesn't have the energy of a lab, if you see what I mean. I
I had to laugh at that one. If you saw my Lab running you wouldn't say that. The last time I tried to take him, I put him and Kaper on a split lead. Kaper was full of energy, Chatham lagged behind, almost looked like he was being dragged. Chatham's got lots of energy, he just doesn't seem to enjoy running. One of the reasons I got him was I thought he would be a high energy dog that would enjoy running. Kaper, on the other hand, LOVES our runs.

When I talked to the vet about taking Chatham running, he told me to make sure to let him work up to the distance and pace. Just like people, they can't just go out and run. I would slowly increase the distance and watch carefully how he handles it. Trail running should be easier on his paws and joints too. I am so used to running with Kaper I can tell when he is tired or when he needs to stop. I still haven't reached a distance he can't do but haven't pushed it past 10km.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts