German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 11 month old gsd. I got her at 7 months from a breeder and she already had some basic obedience. She has a great temperament -- good with people and dogs. We started some obedience classes a month ago. She has a habit of running up to dogs full blast at the park (not the dog park just a regular park). I meet with a group of people in the morning and I am ok with her playing with their dogs since I know them(maybe that makes her think she can run up to all dogs). Would like to note that she is not dog obsessed by any means -- she has a high ball drive and I can distract her at times with the ball. She knows the "here" command very well but does not always listen(hence running up to dogs). I talked to the trainer and he said put her on a 15 foot lead and practice the "here" command. But is there a way to teach her that it is not ok to run up to dogs -- as opposed to just practicing the "here" command. Would appreciate any advice, thanks
Dog Felidae Carnivore Wood Dog breed

·
Super Moderator
9,286 Posts
One other way is to teach a "leave it" command. But that would require a leash or long line while you're teaching it.If she's running around free her choice will always be to run and greet unless you tell her not to.

Reactions: Baileyshuman

·
Registered
305 Posts
That’s a beautiful dog.Since she gets to play with dogs regularly, it will be hard for her to just know which dogs it’s ok to run up to and which dogs you’d rather her ignore. She should be listening to you in either situation if she is off leash - definitely a solid recall command will make things easier on you and those around you. Many people are understandably uncomfortable with a large german shepherd running up to them or their dog, especially when they see it doesn’t listen to a recall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, i have been teaching her the leave it command for about a week. I guess it just happens so fast -- her running up to another dog. The last few days I have been leashing her up when I see another dog. The only reason I take her off leash is to play fetch. Just would love for her to learn to only greet another dog if i give her the ok

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Fair warning if you issue the command and she doesn't obey....you teach disobedience. That disobedience will leak into everything. She sounds like she has a good foundation don't taint it.

Keep her on leash even for fetch just use the 15' line.
She is pretty young to be left to making her own choices. That self rewarding behavior can become quickly ingrained.

You really want her neutral first. Oh there is a dog no big deal. It won't ruin her being social. She just isn't ready yet.

I think on leash recall is the way to go. Let her start to approach recall and enforce it and reward it. Release her she goes to the other dog recall again release again goes towards other dogs recall again do it over and over until she doesn't bother with going towards other dog.

Dogs are very black and white. Either something is allowed or not allowed.

Better to make something very clear and solid before allowing any grey area. She can learn what you want it's just to soon.

·
Registered
305 Posts
thanks, i have been teaching her the leave it command for about a week. I guess it just happens so fast -- her running up to another dog. The last few days I have been leashing her up when I see another dog. The only reason I take her off leash is to play fetch. Just would love for her to learn to only greet another dog if i give her the ok
I used to let my dog play with dogs at the park every morning. For a number of reasons, I decided to replace that time at the park with me and him training and us spending time together. After a few weeks of doing this, he became more engaged with me and was less distracted by other dogs when we were out. May be worth considering dropping off or limiting doggy playtime until she has a stronger habit of focusing on you.

edit: also the running up to other dogs thing is so normal - most young dogs without proper training do it. But you really can’t let it happen. What if a little granny walking her maltipoo gets knocked over? Or what if an aggressive dog gets a bite and your dog is left traumatized?

·
Registered
110 Posts
My husband uses a longline and you can make sure the command can be followed through better, that way you can give your dog length to play and distance also a choice when there is a dog then if your dog does not come back you can correct it on a longline, but solid recall really comes down to structure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used a zap collar to break my Border Collie from targeting far away dogs and running after them like he’s herding a runaway sheep. IDGAF who has a problem with it. It worked. It was the only thing I used it for. Now I don’t need to use it anymore. However, I saw some uptight yuppies zapping the bejesus out of their adolescent GSD at a park just because it was trying to play with my GSD. That really pissed me off. If a dog’s behavior will result in injury or death, it’s okay to use some kind of physical deterrent to break the behavior. But at some point, a dog needs to be a dog and people need to STOP being so uptight! Dogs NEED to socialize and play with other dogs. But we don’t want the, running long distances into traffic to do it. If the dog is just being social, then it’s you that needs to chill. If the dog is running off to where it can get hurt, then be more aggressive and alpha that dog into submission like you’re the wolf pack leader. A zapper collar can help, but do NOT be the uptight yuppy zapping a dog for being a dog.

·
Registered
9 Posts
And I completely disagree and judge people who use long leads 🙄 oh yes play fetch with your dog on a tether so it can run to the end and get choked and hurt it’s neck 🙄 GSDs are some of the best for recall. They always keep their owner in sight and stay in a certain radius. If someone doesn’t know that about GSDs, if someone doesnt trust this intelligent breed, they shouldn’t have a GSD. Point blank. They probably shouldn’t have a dog at all. I bet they cage it for 2/3s of the day 🤦🏼‍♀️

1 - 11 of 11 Posts