German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Please read this and see if you can help. We are really struggling with that to do. Thank you so much. Millie is started becoming sick again. Temp of 104 this morning. Local vet said there’s not much else they can do besides refer was once again to Fort Wayne. We are $6000 deep and have a lot of answers of what they think it’s not and not any real answers of what they think it is. Trying to do everything we can think of right now. Thank you
559542
F214BDAF-B0A7-40C9-98EC-D5AB5DBA7B2F.jpeg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
If I'm reading this correctly, after the tooth removal, your dog has continued to get worse. Have you contacted a canine
dental veterinarian? I suspect you need someone right away so I'd be trying to find a specialist. Do you have a veterinary teaching university nearby?
There are many potential complications that can arise from tooth extraction. I hope you can find a specialist quickly.
If money is a concern there's Care Credit that's easy to get, it's a credit card for animal care/medical problems and most vets accept it.
I'm so sorry you are facing this and hope you can get some assistance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,274 Posts
Is Millie spayed? This is definitely a head-scratcher!

One thought I had was is that it might be a closed pyometra, and not related to the tooth at all. Looks like they've done an abdominal ultrasound to rule that out. Do they have the results on that yet?

So sorry this is happening... :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,305 Posts
Swelling below her left eye could be due to something other than the tooth infection. She needs a specialist and probably stronger antibiotics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is Millie spayed? This is definitely a head-scratcher!

One thought I had was is that it might be a closed pyometra, and not related to the tooth at all. Looks like they've done an abdominal ultrasound to rule that out. Do they have the results on that yet?

So sorry this is happening... :cry:
Yes she was sprayed as a pup never have had any issues until the face swelling. Yes the abdominal ultrasound came back and they didn’t see anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
Did the facial swelling go away after tooth extraction? Has it come back?

Was her head/jaw area x-rayed after extraction or more recently to insure no broken root or fractured jaw was involved? These are just 2 of potential complications of extractions.

Have you been back in touch w/ vet in Ft. Wayne specialty clinic? What do they say?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I'm reading this correctly, after the tooth removal, your dog has continued to get worse. Have you contacted a canine
dental veterinarian? I suspect you need someone right away so I'd be trying to find a specialist. Do you have a veterinary teaching university nearby?
There are many potential complications that can arise from tooth extraction. I hope you can find a specialist quickly.
If money is a concern there's Care Credit that's easy to get, it's a credit card for animal care/medical problems and most vets accept it.
I'm so sorry you are facing this and hope you can get some assistance.
We
Did the facial swelling go away after tooth extraction? Has it come back?

Was her head/jaw area x-rayed after extraction or more recently to insure no broken root or fractured jaw was involved? These are just 2 of potential complications of extractions.

Have you been back in touch w/ vet in Ft. Wayne specialty clinic? What do they say?
It went away never came back. We did do xrays of her head and jaw and found no issues. Fort Wayne says the next step is a bone morrow biopsy to look for cancer. We don’t think we want to put her thru that. If it would turn out cancer I wouldn’t feel right making her go thru chemo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,867 Posts
Those are really high fevers and suggest to me an infectious process. Could there be an infection deep in the jawbone that is not getting detected? That would be my first guess.

Second guess would be going outside of Occam's Razor, and guessing this is some sort of tick illness or fungal infection- did you run a actual titer (not just SNAP) for any possible fungal/tick diseases?

My concern is that she will go into a febrile seizure and you will have to act quickly and make some tough decisions.What a difficult time to be going through this, I'm sorry.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, I went through Valley Fever with one dog- and that was super hard to diagnose and treat (sorry to say it didn't end well), and then some very strange presentations of tick illness in two dogs.

But my first guess is an infection in the jawbone or skull somewhere from the tooth removal, that may need to be resolved with surgical removal of the affected bone segment, which may or may not be feasible for you (or her). The lymph node swelling, fever, lethargy, all suggest an infectious process. Sometimes they can hide deep in the bone (even in people) and are hard to treat with oral meds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
But my first guess is an infection in the jawbone or skull somewhere from the tooth removal, that may need to be resolved with surgical removal of the affected bone segment, which may or may not be feasible for you (or her). The lymph node swelling, fever, lethargy, all suggest an infectious process. Sometimes they can hide deep in the bone (even in people) and are hard to treat with oral meds.
_

Muskeg, I'm on that same path. Broken root left behind or jaw fracture w/ infection, or infection brewing in tooth socket
after stitched up. This is why I suggested a canine dental specialist. In my horse world, we used vets who specialize in dental problems, they have additional training beyond gp vets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are really high fevers and suggest to me an infectious process. Could there be an infection deep in the jawbone that is not getting detected? That would be my first guess.

Second guess would be going outside of Occam's Razor, and guessing this is some sort of tick illness or fungal infection- did you run a actual titer (not just SNAP) for any possible fungal/tick diseases?

My concern is that she will go into a febrile seizure and you will have to act quickly and make some tough decisions.What a difficult time to be going through this, I'm sorry.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, I went through Valley Fever with one dog- and that was super hard to diagnose and treat (sorry to say it didn't end well), and then some very strange presentations of tick illness in two dogs.

But my first guess is an infection in the jawbone or skull somewhere from the tooth removal, that may need to be resolved with surgical removal of the affected bone segment, which may or may not be feasible for you (or her). The lymph node swelling, fever, lethargy, all suggest an infectious process. Sometimes they can hide deep in the bone (even in people) and are hard to treat with oral meds.
I appreciate your reply it’s just hard To feel we are making the right decision
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Did the blood group specifically look into ALL forms of a tick borne virus?

I mention this because these are the same symptoms our last dog displayed; he saw a vet, took medications, continued to his slow descent into lethargy. finally another test revealed 2 tick borne diseases...his was put on an IV drip, hospitalized but passed a few days later.

The dental work could just be coincidental, unless God forbid there was some cross contamination from another dog that was not cleaned up properly.

I throw this out there not to be reckless but because of the covid crisis we're in I've heard of this situation where folks go to a hospital with one simple thing and then get contaminated by something swirling about in the hospital environment.

Best wishes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
What were the results of the submandibular lymph node aspiration that was sent to CSU?
Did Ft. Wayne indicate this is lymphoma or are they still undecided?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,274 Posts
108 F ...I have never HEARD of a dog with a fever that high! I'm surprised your dog isn't dead!
I'm sure they've done cultures on the aspirate, to determine what bacteria might be there, and what antibiotic they are most sensitive to? That should have been one of the first things done once the fever returned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
Just throwing this out there-
Many years back as a teen I had an abcessed/infected tooth that was neglected and left to fester on it's own.
After weeks of facial swelling, horrendous pain, was finally sent to dentist. After x-rays was told the infection had gone
down into my jaw bone and needed to be dug/drilled/removed from deep in jawbone. They pulled the tooth but had to do intensive digging into jawbone to remove My point is that there's also possibility that a deep jawbone infection is still
active in your dog if it wasn't cleaned out properly. My dentist told me at the time that just pulling the infected tooth was
not enough because the infection had spread into my jawbone. Once there it can travel systemically throughout the bloodstream.
Have you considered a telephone consult with another specialist at a teaching university- maybe CSU, infectious disease vet? Sometimes 3 or 4 heads are better than 1 or 2.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top