German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster. My wife and I recently added Bella to the family, a now 4 month old GSD and Collie mix. She’s about 80% GSD (know the parents) and 20% collie. She looks very much GSD. Her other ear just started to stand up all the time a day ago!

Anyway, why I’m posting, we have a 4 year old Australian cattle dog, who absolutely NEEDS to go to the dog park and run everyday otherwise he gets cabin fever. We live right down the street from a fantastic dog park. We have been walking Blue, our ACD, and Bella, our GSD mix to the park every morning at 5am. At first we kept Bella on leash so she could meet other people and dogs to get her socialized (after all her vaccinations of course). She loves going to the park but hated being on leash. Today we let her off leash, as at 5am the park is very slow and she knows the other dogs.

I have read nomerous things about not running puppies until they are much older. Is it safe to let her run off leash at the park? The other dogs are gentle with her and she will have spurts of running energy and then just kind of walk around and hang with us. She will repeat this for about 45 min until we leave. Everything she does is on her own and we do not force her to run. The park is all grass, no concrete or cement.

So is it safe for her to run and play like this? I mainly worry about her joints and hips long term.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
So my own opinion, is to allow pups to play at their own pace . Run, walk, sleep, lounge, they aren't made of glass. I agree with not playing frisbee, having them jump, doing fast turns, but if they are comfortable at their own speed I think they are fine. Dog parks can be iffy, but use your judgement about the one you patronize. Especially at 5 am, I would think it would be a more controlled environment than in mid-afternoon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, we let her play at her own pace. A few times I called her over to give her a little break even just to be safe and keep her away from rough playing with bigger dogs. She is already use to playing with our ACD who weighs 65lbs so he’s on the bigger side.

I figure she wouldn’t hurt herself by playing at her own pace.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts