German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG!!!!! April 1st is almost here!!!!

I'm dying to get my hands on this dog pack! I know it's going to cost an arm and a leg, but I've been waiting with bated breath for this thing. It better come out on time!!! I have GOT to get my hands on it before our first Adirondack High Peak at the end of April.

What’s New at Ruff Wear blog for active outdoor dogs

We've just been having too many problems with other packs being way too bulky to try and mess with on serious climbs. This looks so nice and streamlined.......

Hopefully REI gets it in so I can use my 20% off coupon and dividend on the purchase.

·
Super Moderator
32,304 Posts
It's definitely pricey! :wild: I'd like to actually see it too, it's really hard to tell how big the packs are just looking at it online. I'd be concerned that they'd actually be TOO small. We don't go backpacking or anything, but it can get pretty hot here, and there were a few times last summer that 2 one liter platypus bottles was not enough water for Keefer & me. I bought two more bottles which will easily fit in his Approach pack and he'll still be well within a safe weight range for him even if he carries all 4. I'm not sure you could even fit a one liter bottle in the Singletrak packs. I know it will be excellent quality though, I'm really pleased with the Approach packs.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, it does look super teeny. It's so hard for us. We really need Elsa to carry her own water on our overnight backpacking trips, but with other packs she CONSTANTLY is getting hung up on stuff. Stuck between boulders...snagged when bushwacking.

I'm hoping that the 2 bladders would be ok for her for 1 day, then we could refill upstream at some point and filter (easy for dogs--as long as the micro bugs are dead, the small twigs and such are not such a big deal).

Reason #2 for wanting to order from REI is that, no questions asked, I can return it even if it's been used and abused if I don't think it will meet our needs.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
ok I missed the price?? It does look kinda small, and I to would have to see it ,,let us know if you get it !!

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going to retail for $89.95!!!

ETA: But it does come with the hydration packs as well....

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
YIKES:))) well you get one and let us know how it works:))))

·
Super Moderator
32,304 Posts
Going to retail for $89.95!!!

ETA: But it does come with the hydration packs as well....
Oh that's true, I forgot about that. They're 1/2 liter, right? Or am I remembering that wrong too?

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Debbie,

Yes, I believe you're correct. That's what I remember reading in a description on a "coming soon" website.

·
Super Moderator
32,304 Posts
Not sure what the 1/2 liter bottles cost, but my 1 liter bottles were around $8 each, so having the bottles included does cut down the actual cost of the pack a bit.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I know I've been waiting for this one too! I'm especially interested to see the other color it's supposed to come in... I am debating whether I should buy one or wait until next year in hopes that they come out with other colors like they've done with previous products.

It's definitely pricey! :wild: I'd like to actually see it too, it's really hard to tell how big the packs are just looking at it online. I'd be concerned that they'd actually be TOO small. We don't go backpacking or anything, but it can get pretty hot here, and there were a few times last summer that 2 one liter platypus bottles was not enough water for Keefer & me. I bought two more bottles which will easily fit in his Approach pack and he'll still be well within a safe weight range for him even if he carries all 4. I'm not sure you could even fit a one liter bottle in the Singletrak packs. I know it will be excellent quality though, I'm really pleased with the Approach packs.
I'm not sure if 1 liter bottles will fit, just the .5 liter they come with. On Ruffwear's Facebook page someone asked about how much space was in the pack and they said:
"The pack fits girth sizes of 23" - 45" around, and 2.4L (1.2L on each side and includes two .5L each Playpus bladders."
"There's room for a leash, bags, and even a small collapsible water bowl."

I know, it does look super teeny. It's so hard for us. We really need Elsa to carry her own water on our overnight backpacking trips, but with other packs she CONSTANTLY is getting hung up on stuff. Stuck between boulders...snagged when bushwacking.
Have you tried the Approach pack that Ruffwear has?
The only packs I've seen that are really streamlined besides this one are the Wolfpacks Saddlebag and a few of the small service dog packs such as the Har-vest and Freedom Harness but I am not sure how much water those would hold.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
how far did you go that 2 liters of water wasn't enough?
how hot was it?

i walk in the woods alot with my dog and we go 5 miles.
it's a slow 5 miles. i stop often for breaks. i carry 2 liters of
water for both of us. i always have water when we get back
to the car. now i'm wondering if i'm taking enough water
for a 5 mile hike?

where did you get your backback?

We don't go backpacking or anything, but it can get pretty hot here, and there were a few times last summer that 2 one liter platypus bottles was not enough water for Keefer & me.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i bought two 1.5 liters of spring water (squirt tops). when they're
empty i reuse the bottles.

Not sure what the 1/2 liter bottles cost, but my 1 liter bottles were around $8 each, so having the bottles included does cut down the actual cost of the pack a bit.

·
Super Moderator
32,304 Posts
how far did you go that 2 liters of water wasn't enough?
how hot was it?

i walk in the woods alot with my dog and we go 5 miles.
it's a slow 5 miles. i stop often for breaks. i carry 2 liters of
water for both of us. i always have water when we get back
to the car. now i'm wondering if i'm taking enough water
for a 5 mile hike?

where did you get your backback?
Most of the time 2 liters is enough, but there were a couple of times last summer/fall where it wasn't and both our bottles were empty by the time we got back. We were doing 4+ miles up and down rolling hills at a brisk pace, with some running up the hills. It's part shade and part sun, and the temps were from the mid-80's to the low 90's. One day we went about 6 miles.

Keefer has a lot of hair (he's a longcoat), and he was wearing his pack so I know he was hot, I sure was! Some of his water gets wasted because he doesn't always drink everything I pour into the bowl and some of it gets tossed. A lot of the time I use up all his water and give him some of mine, and then I refill his bottle when we get back to the marina and we sit on the dock and rest for a bit.

I got his Approach pack at Furlong's Ruff Wear Approach Pack 2 Dog Backpack, and Halo's Approach pack at Arcata Pet Buy Dog Backpacks Online at Arcata Pet Supplies

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I want to try using one of these pet water bottle tops with the Platypus bottle:
www.[B]pettop[/B].com/

I'm hoping it might waste less water because I also always end up pouring some out because Bianca doesn't finish what I put in her bowl on a hike.
The only problem with that is the "backwash" means I can't share the bottle with her if I use that top on it.

·
Super Moderator
32,304 Posts
I have the push/pull sport top on my Platypus bottles. I either take the top off and pour some into the bowl if I need to use some of my own water for the dog, (I always keep my bottle in the pack nearest me and the dog bottle in the pack on the far side so I don't get them mixed up!) or just squirt a stream of water into the dog's mouth without letting them touch the top.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
just got an update from Ruffwear on facebook

the pack will be available in a "dry river brown" exclusively at REI next week

there is a picture but I can't access facebook at work.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
just got an update from Ruffwear on facebook

the pack will be available in a "dry river brown" exclusively at REI next week

there is a picture but I can't access facebook at work.
Yeah I was the one who asked them to post a photo of the brown pack on Facebook. :D

I hope they will carry it at my local REI, I want to try them on Bianca before I decide which color to get...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts