German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not directed at anyone I just didn't want to hijack another person’s thread on an experience I had the other day.
I took Jaina my 7 month well socialized GSD to a self-serve dog wash along with my roommate and her two dogs.
I groomed out Jaina first and hooked her to the wall, which they have conveniently set up right next to the drying tables so that you can groom multiple dogs and your dog will be out of the way of yourself and others.
While I was working on my roommate’s dog a guy had come in earlier with a huge GSD a good 30+ bigger then Jaina. As he finished he handed the dog over to what I think was his dad, he could barely handle the dog when they walked by us his dog saw Jaina and jerked the guys dad nearly over and it started "liping" at her face. I yelled NO! And the guy was like "oh he's friendly" I shook my head at him and his reply was "oh, she’s not?" I replied “No, I don't like strange dogs greeting my dog”. He walked away. I have no issues with being rude when someone else was being rude in the first place. What if Jaina wasn't friendly and decided to take the dogs face off, she had no out and was cornered. I don't understand why some people just assume that, "well my dog is friendly, so your dog should be friendly."

Not all people like all people why should dogs?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
which is exactly why i dont ever allow my kids, myself or my dogs to approach and greet another dog without owner permission. its not only a safety thing its a courtesy thing. if someone shows and interest in Shasta or Shelby, i will let them know they can say hi but i also make it clear the dogs HAVE to be sitting before they can be petted or greeted or anything and the minute the dog stands, i ask the person to stop until they sit again. Its a training thing. the dogs need to know they sit for attention. Riley however is iffy. At home, he's really friendly but in public, i have to keep an eye on him. he's good with people most of the time as long as he's not in the car (which is recent) but he's iffy on dogs. Plus a dog getting 'lippy' with one of mine, is cause for concern for me.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yeah he had no business just bringing his obnoxious dog over to yours without asking you. What a jerk.

I took Rem to the barn where I board my horses yesterday for the first time. The annoying owner released his completely obnoxious, no manners at all untrained Golden Ret. on us without so much as a warning, and it wasn't leashed. The dog hurled itself at me, jumped on me with it's paws on my shoulders, slobbered me, and generally ticked me off completely. Rem growled and barked at him, and the guy didn't get why. So what if Rem doesn't like your totally annoying dog? I don't either, so we're on the same page. Maybe he'd like it better if it learned some respect.

·
Registered
32,012 Posts
Yeah he had no business just bringing his obnoxious dog over to yours without asking you. What a jerk.
the way the original post reads, the guy was drug over by his dog. He didn't purposely bring him over.

I took Rem to the barn where I board my horses yesterday for the first time. The annoying owner released his completely obnoxious, no manners at all untrained Golden Ret. on us without so much as a warning, and it wasn't leashed. The dog hurled itself at me, jumped on me with it's paws on my shoulders, slobbered me, and generally ticked me off completely. Rem growled and barked at him, and the guy didn't get why. So what if Rem doesn't like your totally annoying dog? I don't either, so we're on the same page. Maybe he'd like it better if it learned some respect.
I wouldn't bring my dog to the stables without asking and I was always careful about the other dogs that were around. If someone else brought a dog that I was unsure of then I put my dog in the car. If I don't own the property then I have no business being upset because the dog that lives there isn't liked by my dog. Maybe that dog would like it better if yours wasn't there.

I see alot of lines being crossed by GSD owners here that are the same lines being complained about. Just because our dogs are trained doesn't give us special treatment at someone else's property. You did, however, have every right to ask him to get his dog off of you as you are a client of his, but your dog has no rights there.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I did ask, and nowhere did I say I didn't ask first. He said I could bring him when I told him I had a puppy - it was HIS idea! I pay him a LOT f money every month, and I have a contract saying I can bring my dog(s) whenever I please, and also that I have other rights there too as a paying boarder. My dog didn't do anything wrong, if I was capable of growling, I'd have growled at the dog, too. It had no business jumping on me. It actually ripped my jacket, he's lucky I don't make him pay for it.

Regardless, it's not really about my dog, it's about ME - after I put Remi back in the car, the golden still continued to jump on me, bother me, scratch me without ANY correction from the owner. If Rem hadn't even BEEN there, the dog still would have done it because it's a 1 yr. old untrained animal. Another boarder mentioned to me that he also does the same thing to her, and she has no dogs. His property or not, he owns a boarding business with paying clients - his dog needs to behave, or I'll leave.

And I stand by what I said - the guy's a jerk. If you take your dog to a place like that, it shouldn't be the type that drags you around. He should train his dog better - what if it had approached a mean dog, and his dog got hurt because of his neglectfulness?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I did ask, and nowhere did I say I didn't ask first. He said I could bring him when I told him I had a puppy - it was HIS idea! I pay him a LOT f money every month, and I have a contract saying I can bring my dog(s) whenever I please, and also that I have other rights there too as a paying boarder. My dog didn't do anything wrong, if I was capable of growling, I'd have growled at the dog, too. It had no business jumping on me. It actually ripped my jacket, he's lucky I don't make him pay for it.

Regardless, it's not really about my dog, it's about ME - after I put Remi back in the car, the golden still continued to jump on me, bother me, scratch me without ANY correction from the owner. If Rem hadn't even BEEN there, the dog still would have done it because it's a 1 yr. old untrained animal. Another boarder mentioned to me that he also does the same thing to her, and she has no dogs. His property or not, he owns a boarding business with paying clients - his dog needs to behave, or I'll leave.

And I stand by what I said - the guy's a jerk. If you take your dog to a place like that, it shouldn't be the type that drags you around. He should train his dog better - what if it had approached a mean dog, and his dog got hurt because of his neglectfulness?
any respectable boarding est. will not allow dogs or even children to come on to the property due to liability and risk to horses.any place that has a dog out of control to the point where he rips your jacket?i would be rethinking the saftey of my horse and the type of place you have it boarded in.Dogs that are untrained running wild with unknown horses is a huge mess waiting to happen eg.dog chasing horses through fences ect yea,i'd question the type of facility you are paying alot for.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
The only dogs at my horse boarding facility are the ones that live there. One of the workers has an older puppy - lab/something mix. He is really sweet, but doesn't have very good manners. I think we all are pretty tolerant of him. My daughter lets him get in her truck. It is a long way from the barn to his house, so sometimes she drives him home. LOL! Our horse is also tolerant of the dog. He has actually taken her lead rope in his mouth and led her around. She will let him know when she has had enough. All in all, I would say that most of us dog lovers take the opportunity to work with "Pepe" while we are at the farm. It isn't his fault he has no manners. His owner is a nice young guy, who probably lacks training skills. In the long run, helping Pepe helps us all.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
You are so right and I am guilty of approaching people with my dog because I know she is sound and can handle bad behavior by other dogs. I will learn from your opinion and be more considerate. Thank you

·
Registered
32,012 Posts
You didn't say you did ask, or that had a signed contract allowing it, either so there is no need to overly defensive when you give part of a story minus some pretty important facts.

And I said that it wasn't ok for the dog to jump on you. If the dog is not under control at a riding stable there can be pretty serious consequences and I would go find somewhere else to board my horse.

·
Registered
522 Posts
this kind of stuff happens all the time with me & Skylar. I have her in heel focusing on me passing dogs, or a sit focusing on me because she wants to greet everyone so for the sanity/safety of everyone involved, i keep away incase the other dogs are mean. BUT, while i'm doing this, people let their little things that skylar could step on and kill come running over, barking, etc. even people with big dogs let them come over! It drives me bonkers, but i've come to expect it so i just socialize skylar constantly and do everything i can to make sure everyone stays safe, because we all know the other owner won't take responsibility for anything!! even though skylar is friendly i always ask if we can visit, but most of the time i don't even ask because the other dog doesn't even look close to approachable haha. Oh, and when skylar excited barks she's automatically labeled aggressive :eek: but when little dogs lunge and actually aggressively bark, it's cute. people make no sense. :confused:

·
Registered
728 Posts
I know, I am concerned about the dog even more today, because the owner texted me apologizing, and then said the dog goes in the pasture to play with my minis - at no time did I say this was okay, and at no time was I asked if it was. If the dog bites my horse, or my horse kicks the dog, it'll be a MESS.

I don't have any other options, until I move - he's the cheapest place around, and the only one willing to let my horses outside all day. Eveyrone else is full or too expensive for me. Right now I pay 900/month - I had been paying 1200. My last barn not only had dogs loose around, but also two very mean fully horned goats that knocked over and ate my grain almost every day, which is why I left. My current stable is small, it's not some huge boarding facility, just this guy's backyard operation, we're all friends and it's a casual environment. But he puts so much effort into his horses, why he can't train a dog is beyond me - and he has two infants, I can just picture that crazy beast mowing them down in the house, makes me shudder! But that's the kind of area this is, everyone has dogs, everyone has horses, and everyone has the two together at shows, barns, trail rides, etc.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread with my own stupid saga, lol. As for rude dogs/owners, I witnessed the following today, quite amusing:

I had Rem outside practicing recall on a 20ft lead - I live on a golf course that backs up to my yard, and even though they are NOT ALLOWED per the rules of this development, people have been walking dogs and skiing on it every day. It's annoying because you can hear every dog on the street freaking out when people go by, my dogs bark and it's frustrating. I call and complain to the pro shop, but it's winter, no one is there and by the time they arrive, they skiiers are gone.

So anyway, this woman was walking her really annoying dog off leash, and it was running all about, Rem and I just stood there watching - then these two skiers came by and her dog ran over to them, tripped one of them, and barked in circles around them, being totally rude. The owner kept screaming and calling it, but it ignored her. The dog followed the skiers all the way down the fairway, and wouldn't listen to it's owner at all, Rem and I just watched, I was laughing, xD. It's bad enough she was walking her dog off leash where she isn't supposed to be unless she's golfing (the club put out a newsletter last month expressly saying that the golf course is private property and is off limits to everyone but paid club members golfing) but it's not even a trained or well behaved dog, bothering people and it could have hurt one of them!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's good to hear other's stories :)
My roommate also added people who have their dogs on those extended leads in vet offices. She had placed herself in the far corner of the vet office with herself in between her dog and other clients (Maggie is a standard poodle who does not like other dogs almost dog aggressive but very much under control). She said she was watching some lady at the desk check out and her dog was all over the place at the end of its extend lead, well of course it started towards my friend and Maggie. My friend told the lady that she needs to get her dog, of course what was her respones, you guessed "oh she's friendly" my friend replied "mines not, she will rip your dogs face off" LOL the lady freaked out and reeled her dog in. Hopefully it was a learning lesson for her. They should not allow those kind of leashes in businesses I understand for walks but even then a lot of people who use them have very little control over their dog.

They shouldn't have dogs running around Horse Boarding places let alone playing with your mini's I'd be sooo mad.

I've totally tuned tail from someone who was coming up to greet! Sometimes I'm just not in the mood and very few people are willing to work with you and your rules that you have set for your dog.

The guy might have just as well walked over with his dog they walked so close to us on a very wide walk way and when his father lost control the guy just stood there while his dog was "greeting" Jaina. I feel it was purposefully done like the guy was just looking at an angle to start a conversation(he had walked his dog in himself earlier and him up tight because he knew his dog didn't have manners), well it back fired.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Last summer I was out biking with my dog when I came around a corner only to see three loose goldens with their people. Those dogs took one look at us and charged snarling and barking. I had to leap off my bike, drag my dog behind me, and start kicking. The owners just stood there and watched!

I started screaming at them to get their dogs and they got all mad that I couldn't appreciate how friendly the dogs were. Mind you, my dog was on leash and we were on the sidewalk and had been minding our own business; the people had decided that the golf course was some sort of dog park. Those idiots had the nerve to ask me if my dog was mean and what was my problem as I'm doing my level best to keep their vicious dogs from getting at my dog.

They finally corralled their dogs and walked off into the golf course, still off leash yelling at me that I shouldn't have my mean dog out in public! Let's see, their dogs were out of control, off leash, attacked me and my dog, and I'm the one with the problem. If I hadn't had the sense to stop, get off the bike, hang my dog behind me, and started kicking, there would have been a huge dog fight and blood all around. Morons!!!!!!!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Last summer I was out biking with my dog when I came around a corner only to see three loose goldens with their people. Those dogs took one look at us and charged snarling and barking. I had to leap off my bike, drag my dog behind me, and start kicking. The owners just stood there and watched!

I started screaming at them to get their dogs and they got all mad that I couldn't appreciate how friendly the dogs were. Mind you, my dog was on leash and we were on the sidewalk and had been minding our own business; the people had decided that the golf course was some sort of dog park. Those idiots had the nerve to ask me if my dog was mean and what was my problem as I'm doing my level best to keep their vicious dogs from getting at my dog.

They finally corralled their dogs and walked off into the golf course, still off leash yelling at me that I shouldn't have my mean dog out in public! Let's see, their dogs were out of control, off leash, attacked me and my dog, and I'm the one with the problem. If I hadn't had the sense to stop, get off the bike, hang my dog behind me, and started kicking, there would have been a huge dog fight and blood all around. Morons!!!!!!!

wow that sounds like a bad situation all around. I dont blame you for being thoroughly POed. Isnt there a leash rule on golf courses in general? I mean not just like a leash law but dont most courses only allow a 4ft lead instead of the 6ft? did you report them?!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I can say I know how frustrating it is when someone has a stupid mangly dog that is supposily "friendly" and it's snapping at my dog for some reason. Then the owner laughs about it! Oh yes, I know..... *slap slap!*

Jackson doesn't particularly like other dogs. He gets nervous and is unsure about a new dog's intentions and he gets on edge. I would NEVER go and say it's "ok" for him to apporach another dog on a leash especially knowing how he gets nervous, etc. I would assume others would know their dog as well, but maybe not so much...

·
Registered
385 Posts
I cannot tell you how much I hate when people let their dogs run right up to us when we are hiking (we always recall our dogs and leash them when we see other people, dogs or no dogs, approaching) and they yell "Oh, they're friendly, they just want to say hi!"
Regen is reactive and these situations are never okay for her.
Here I have to turn and walk the other way because people can't understand why I might not want for my dog to have to endure a frantic and effusive (usually rude) greeting by their dog who she is never going to see again.
Even worse is when the person who forced the "meeting" gets all offended when Regen hackles and barks and lunges at their little fluffy-poo. Roar! There is a reason we don't meet dogs unless we already know and trust the owner!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
wow that sounds like a bad situation all around. I dont blame you for being thoroughly POed. Isnt there a leash rule on golf courses in general? I mean not just like a leash law but dont most courses only allow a 4ft lead instead of the 6ft? did you report them?!
Yes, there's a leash law and the dogs should have been on leash. The golf course doesn't allow dogs on the property either. Stupid people think only of themselves and not the havoc they are causing around them. My dog could have been mangled, killed, or permanently mentally damaged, and I could have been badly bitten too, and they just don't care.

No cell phone, so there was nothing I could do about it.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Yes, there's a leash law and the dogs should have been on leash. The golf course doesn't allow dogs on the property either. Stupid people think only of themselves and not the havoc they are causing around them. My dog could have been mangled, killed, or permanently mentally damaged, and I could have been badly bitten too, and they just don't care.

No cell phone, so there was nothing I could do about it.

oh i would have been livid. its too bad you didnt have a cell at the time.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts