German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So I'm trying to get the dog used to marker training. instead of constantly saying yes (I realized I catch myself too often changing the tone of my "yes!") I purchased a clicker. I'm trying to "charge the clicker" with my 8 month GSD.

He doesn't have a very high food drive, so I've tried few "training treats" and nothing really gets him going crazy... (I tried couple dog specific training treats)

I've heard and been recommended cutting up small pieces of hot dog for this. Apparently they have strong scent and dogs tend to get attracted to this as treat...

I guess my question is how much is too much. 1 hotdog per day for training? I don't want to upset his stomach either. I guess I can cut 1 hotdog fairly small for treats, but is that too much? half? 2? LOL... I have no idea...

I read the charging the clicker is a 20-30 min process, so that sounds like either alot of hotdog, or extremely tiny pieces lol.

If you have any other ideas, let me know. I also know about fresh pet and red barn. he wasn't very interested in red barn at a trainer I took him to for evaluation, but was interested in fresh pet.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The key is to use small bits of treat, so the dog doesn't get full and he feels like he's getting "more". I agree with you , I prefer the clicker over a yes because how many times throughout the day are you going to say yes and confuse the dog lol. If my clicker isn't handy I simply say "click!". You could try little pieces of hot dog, real meats, and even stinky beef tripe they love. Do short little sessions more often rather than longer sessions. You know you've given too many treats when the dogs stool gets loose, so use common sense. If the poops still look good then you're probably fine. Oscar Meyer makes a leaner all beef hot dog version that's like 60 calories that my dog likes, he gets an entire hot dog plus some treats when we train. Watch the weight however if you don't have an active dog they can really put on the pounds quickly.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hotdogs, slice lengthwise twice (4 strips) than chop.

String cheese, pull off thin strips, they can be made to wriggle and entice prey drive.

Bag of pre-cooked spiced chicken strips. Diced.

Tuna Fudge:

1 large tin tuna ( human consumption) in spring water
2 eggs
2 cups flour.

Mix it all up, including water from tuna.
Spread on baking tray
180 c for 20-30 minutes. Dice and bag. <--(or buy silicon pyramid pan, I haven't made it yet)

You can increase interest in food by inciting prey/chase behaviours.

·
Super Moderator
6,675 Posts
Charging the clicker absolutely should not on any planet take 20-30 minutes. Myself and many of my colleagues do this on a regular basis..... 1 session, 2 minutes... and maybe 2-3 free clicks at the start of subsequent training sessions just to remind them of the game, but even that won’t be necessary for long.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Charging the clicker absolutely should not on any planet take 20-30 minutes. Myself and many of my colleagues do this on a regular basis..... 1 session, 2 minutes... and maybe 2-3 free clicks at the start of subsequent training sessions just to remind them of the game, but even that won’t be necessary for long.

omg I read the article wrong. 20-30 repetitions, not minutes! LOL. Thx :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so I've tried the hotdogs and he'll eat it, but I still can't find any treats that realllyyyy excite him.

He does take lots of petting/praising well though.

We were training getting in and out of the SUV's trunk few days ago and he had no interest in the food. I realized he really likes being highly praised and being petted instead of food. While "showing off" Chase's new skill to my wife, he instead veered off and ran away from me. I had to chase him down (no pun lol) and get him at my neighbor. This is where I realized I should have him on a long leash and not do any off leash training yet... (learning lesson)

So went back to our backyard and I started teaching him the "come" command. I taught him to touch his snout to my palm when I give the "chase, come!" command. He's doing pretty good, but I realized his key reward is to be loved. So I used a clicker when his snout touched my palm as the mark and instantly gave lots of love. This seems to have worked.

I'm new at this, but from what I can understand form my training him, food doesn't have to be the only thing. It can be a toy, food, or lots of love... He seems to prefer the love. this works for me because I can do that anytime.

Now I gotta keep practicing and proof it and introduce some distractions (which I did a little of already). He doesn't listen to my wife as well as he listens to me though, which aggravates my wife lol.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
I have one dog that will ignore all food when distracted or put under pressure.

I have one dog that will ignore all distractions and pressure for a bit of his dry kibble.

Train the dog in front of you is said around here a lot for good reason, good work on changing things up and seeing results!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Benny bully's liver treats work well for mine, though you can't feed too much of liver daily. Another thing that works well is freezed raw meat strips, though it is annoying to prepare and carry.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Through the years cutting up hot dogs....nuking them... storing 'em in a fanny pack worked great....once nuked and hard and crunchy they lasted a long time....worked great with our dogs....until Beau....he doesn't care for most kibble....no dog treats and most human foods we would love are ...YUCK to him........a few years back my wife came home from a local Food Lion with treats called "Nudges" for the other dogs who do like treats....turns out Beau loves them too... which is a first---they're USA made...don't know where the ingredients are sourced...jerky style treat....various flavors.....they can be torn in pieces or cut up....Beau is one of the most eager to please dogs we've owned so training was a breeze with no positive reinforcement....I've used them with training our 4 year old Aussie....she's crazy for them--but she'll eat anything....they're not the cheapest dog treat out there....but they're a hit in our house....so they may be worth a try if you haven't already....don't know if you have Food Lions close to you....I've never seen them in any other grocery...and I've never checked online

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
If he doesn't like good quality treats you are probably feeding him too much. Use his kibble or whatever you feed him as treats when he is hungry.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
So, with this form of training you need three hands? One for the leash, one for the clicker and one for the treat bag? Inga has low food drive. We only feed her out of her bowl. I even tried pieces of steak. She works for praise and play. Thats how she learned her 30 commands.

·
Super Moderator
5,508 Posts
So, with this form of training you need three hands? One for the leash, one for the clicker and one for the treat bag?

No.

Either no leash, or leash clipped to your waist, so there’s no nagging with it.

Treats in treat bag.

Clicker in hand or on a coil around your wrist.

·
Super Moderator
6,675 Posts
I teach my blind clients how to clicker train their guides - left hand: harness handle, leash and clicker. Right hand: nothing unless they’re delivering food. Bait bag around their waist.... the same arrangement I use 40hrs a week... while, gasp, in motion!!

If clicker training isn’t your thing, that’s perfectly fine, but don’t make it out to be rocket science. I’ve trained dogs without markers and I’ve trained dogs with verbal markers... no, clickers aren’t necessary, but there are obviously advantages once you acquire the skill and coordination. I don’t have 3 hands and I don’t aim to make my life more difficult than it needs to be.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My dog has EPI. Training with treats wasn't possible due to his inability to digest, soooo, I found dehydrated tripe bits. He can have these with no problems. They stink to high heaven, but he will do a back flip for them. The clicker was loaded very quickly, my hands took two to three washings to remove the stench, though. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts