German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just came to the realization that my dog is 14 months old. The adult dog food is 15 months old for the royal cannin food for adult Gsd’s. Does it matter if I’ve been giving my 14montj old gsd adult dog food even tho he’s 1 month away from being 15 months?
I’ve been giving him same brand dog food but for puppies ever since I got him.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
I have to feed Deja RC for intestinal health for two weeks due to her surgery. I can't wait to take her of this cr**. I wouldn't even feed it to my rodents. Don't know what to do with the rest of the 8 pound bag. To me it is a lot of by and waste products. Not sure to even donate to the shelter.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I know a local breeder that feeds this stuff to all his dogs, and swears by it. This is the first time I've looked at the ingredient list, and I am mindboggled by how little meat there is in it!!
:surprise:

·
Registered
149 Posts
To answer the original question, it is totally fine for your dog to be eating Adult dog food recommended for 15 months old at the age of 14 months, Its one month, and it wont negatively effect him at all, so no need to worry there.

But I do agree with everyone else that has commented, Royal Canin, is NOT a good quality food and you can guy better quality brands, feed less, and a lot of the time they are the same price if not less expensive. Royal Canin is way over priced for the quality of food that it is. If it is possible for you to change the brand to higher quality, many many of us will recommend you do!

·
Registered
906 Posts
I know a local breeder that feeds this stuff to all his dogs, and swears by it. This is the first time I've looked at the ingredient list, and I am mindboggled by how little meat there is in it!!
:surprise:
Our former GSD, Jake was ematiated when we rescued him.
Vet guessed him to be about two years old at that time.
He recommended we feed him Royal Canin GSD food (it’s what he fed his own GSDs).

Jake lived a very long and very healthy life.
Not one serious illness or injury.

He passed in 2014.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
It may not be the best grade but if you look at the list of foods connected to the DCM, I don't believe this is one of them. :shrug:

·
Registered
671 Posts
I too don't get why 15 months. Adults are considered adults at 24 months. But to answer your question, doesn't make that much difference. If you wanna get him off of it now, do it. Do it at 16 months, that's fine too.

About Royal Canin though, like a lot of us R saying here, it's pure crap. But it has strong marketing and customer base, like Science Diet. But to be honest, based on the ingredients AND price, Royal Canin sucks more than Science Diet. $58 for a 30lb bag? That's rubbish. You can get REAL premium food such as Taste of the wild and Victor and Pro Pac for $40-50 for a 30lb-40lb bag.

How clever is the Royal Canin marketing? VERY. They make you believe every breed needs different food, which makes sense to a certain extent, but it's pure marketing. And when you look at the ingredients per breed, they're like quite literally the same. When I was living in South-East Asia, they didn't have a lot of choices and infos on dogs R limited unlike here in the US. So they'll go to a petshop and all that's available R brands such as Royal Canin, Science Diet, Pedigree. Best thing I saw was Eagle Pack, which is a good product, but the price is through the roof. And it was so easy to just tell people who are not knowledgeable, 'Hey. Here's the best food for your GSD. It's made SPECIFICALLY for GSDs, it's vet recommended, it's a US brand.' How easy is that?

A LOT of people who've had dogs all their lives don't do research on kibbles or diet. I've had dogs before but they were family dogs and my father fed them human food/wet food. We did try Science Diet once but it just wasn't worth it.

Now that I am a solo dog owner, I did EXTENSIVE research on dog food. The most basic stuff I learnt about it is that soy, corn and wheat R NOT good ingredients. Amongst all the food I tried for my dog, only 1 had corn in it (no wheat no soy) IAMS large breed puppy. It was okay but my dog's coat was uuuggglllyyy as fudge. When we changed back to no corn no wheat no soy, coat changed within 2 weeks.

Honestly, if you can afford Royal Canin, you can afford SO MANY BETTER BRANDS, most likely for LESS money!

Give it a thought.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
That RC poop smells awful. Griff is on his normal diet; good kibble in the AM and raw at night. I barely smell his poop when picking it up. I now smell dogs in my house, also my visitors do. Never before. I am sure it is that RC. I have to grind that RC kibble and soak it; you can see the yellow corn parts. Ugh, I hate it. One more week. But she is healing and that makes me very happy.

·
Registered
149 Posts
it is very easy to think that you are feeding a high quality brand when you feed RC if you haven't done any research yourself and fall for the marketing, and it doesn't help when you walk into the vets office, who you would hope is there for the health of your dog and to give you actual good advice, then they go and recommend Royal Canin, Purina, and Hills. I fell for it with my first dog when I was younger, breeder recommended it, then vet recommended it. That dog died from cancer at 9 years old. I think it had something to do with the brands I was feeding (Royal Canin, milk bone, etc..) added with other factors (environmental etc..) But 100% RC had something to do with it.

I work at a vet and have learned so much about the foods they sell and why they sell it, and seen differences in the quality and such of the kibble with boarding dogs that come in between the RC, RC tends to be very greasy, weird thing to say about food but I can always tell when a dog brings its own food and its Acana or better brand like that, vs the greasy RC.

Vets dont know any better, vet school lectures are put on by bad brands like Purina, then they have RC, Hills and Purina "lunch and learns" at the clinic they work at, telling them how good the new "hydrolyzed protein" "diabetic management" "satiety" foods they have created, what they are formulated for, what dogs/cats with what specific health issues to recommend the food to. Its all marketing and almost "brainwashing" these vets are taught from day one that those foods are good brands and many never really do the research themselves.

All the special "prescription diets" or really any brand/type of food the vets sell, went through years fo studies where they fed the food to a bunch of dogs, all breeds and sizes, watched how they reacted to the foods, any health issues if they ended up having any and how the food could have anything to do with it, or not. if any get sick, die, get diabetes, etc.. to see how the food effects them. A trial period before they hit the market. Vets sell this food because it has be proven to do whatever it says it will in the trial periods, and had proven to not kill pets. Therefore avoiding any lawsuits and having the research to basically back them up. They could get into a lot of trouble if they recommended something like Blue Buffalo to a client, the Blue ends up having another recall, the clients dog dies from the contaminated food. in turn is angry at the vet and sues or something to that effect for recommending a food that killed their dog.

Im saying this to show people do always do your own research, find what is best for you and your dog, and try not to follow blindly breeder or vet recommendation. try to find a higher quality food, there are plenty that are within many peoples price range. dogfoodadvisor.com is a good place to start

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
It may not be the best grade but if you look at the list of foods connected to the DCM, I don't believe this is one of them. :shrug:
right -- but people tend to be reactionary .

having been scared off from the "grain free" they return to the old
grain laden choices.

neither one is a good option .

In Billinghurst's Shake Your Bone at Cancer he makes it clear that a species
appropriate diet is the foundation for health .

Apparently data shows a cadio problem which continues to escalate in number
of "victims" over time --- and --- the old grain , often low quality , spoiled
or GMO , has led to ever increasing numbers of cancer victims.

if you want or have to rely on kibble because it is easy to source and convenient
to store - then do make sure that your product is front loaded with animal meat
protein . Anything else should be minimal to allow for processing -

to improve on this introduce some digestive enzymes --
i

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Deja ,like I said earlier, is on a prescription RC after the twisted colon issue. The colon has an incision, which seemed to require this food due to its low fat content. If it had "just" been untwisted she wouldn't have needed this food and could have resumed her normal diet. I don't know enough about this to contradict the vet.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
After bowel surgery, they want to avoid anything that will irritate the colon. So, you eat a lot of bland foods with no roughage in them: no bran (thus the white bread) no raw veggies, no seeds or nuts. Oatmeal is good, because it has water soluble fiber, which is slippery and non-irritating. High fat foods make the liver produce a lot of bile to emulsify them, so I guess that irritates the colon, too.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Something I learned from the years of being in this forum, everyone's got an opinion about dog food. You've got the raw food people, the grain free people, the non grain free people, the holistic, the non breed specific food people, the mixed, etc. etc. etc. While I agree with everyone that RCGSD is not the best of foods and not the cheapest, my personal theory is that you should feed what works for YOUR dog. As we found out recently here in the forums, that in some parts of the world, RC may be the best food available there. Maybe they don't sell the Fromm's, or the Victor's, or the TOTWs, etc. etc. etc. Not all of us here live in the States or Canada. So to the OP, if RCGSD works for your dog(s), don't change it. If you can get "better" food, then do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts