German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dry food is limited here in Lebanon, but the vet recommended this brand for my puppy, it's the one of the best on the market, any info about it? I bought royal canin junior for puppies.. It also says that I should feed him this until he is 15 months old

·
Premium Member
4,793 Posts
Dry food is limited here in Lebanon, but the vet recommended this brand for my puppy, it's the one of the best on the market, any info about it? I bought royal canin junior for puppies.. It also says that I should feed him this until he is 15 months old
Be aware that Royal Canin will be replacing "chicken meal" with Chicken BY-PRODUCTS in the near future.
Emmanuel FONTAINE, DVM, MSc, PhD, Dipl ECAR “You might have heard rumblings that Royal Canin is adding “by-products” in its formulas. Let’s make this clear: this is not a rumor, and this change will affect all our new formulas and upcoming launches." http://www.truthaboutpetfood2.com/RoyalCaninByProducts.pdf
Royal Canin is also working on a product which uses CHICKEN FEATHERS as protein!!!! Royal Canin told Forbes magazine they have been developing a “Anallergenic formula” dog food for ten years using chicken feathers as the main source of protein. Keith Levy of Royal Canin told Forbes “It’s not only nutritious but can also be made very palatable to dogs. Feathers are broken down to an amino acid level and don’t have much of a taste. Then we add palatizers for taste. In this case, we have to be very careful not to provoke an allergic reaction. That’s why it took so long to develop this particular food. We’re looking for lots of different sources of protein for our foods: hydrolyzed soy; for some of our foods in China we use worm meal. I tried some kibble made with worm meal once – it tasted very good. So our approach goes way beyond feathers.” The Feather Meal Fluff
:shocked: Not for my money!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
What else is available? RC is better than some but not as good as others. If we know your choices we might be able to help you better. :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I've heard it's not the best food. I have not researched it or used it. The two I have fed to my dogs is Natural Balance and Blue Buffalo. Some people do not like Blue Buffalo, but we have had good results with it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Royal Canin is overpriced for what you can get. $60 for a 33 lb bag of German Shepherd 24, their breed specific formula? I pay half the amount for a Diamond Naturals 40 lb bag and I get more feed for the money. You can do better in terms of selecting premium kibble for a GSD!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Royal Canin is overpriced for what you can get. $60 for a 33 lb bag of German Shepherd 24, their breed specific formula? I pay half the amount for a Diamond Naturals 40 lb bag and I get more feed for the money. You can do better in terms of selecting premium kibble for a GSD!
I'll re check the brands; BUT.. A 3 kg bag, which is 6.6 lbs costs about 36$ here.. I know it's expensive but that's the price for things over here!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'll re check the brands; BUT.. A 3 kg bag, which is 6.6 lbs costs about 36$ here.. I know it's expensive but that's the price for things over here!
A 6 lb bag is the USA costs around $12. Its can be expensive to feed a dog in other parts of the world.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've heard it's not the best food. I have not researched it or used it. The two I have fed to my dogs is Natural Balance and Blue Buffalo. Some people do not like Blue Buffalo, but we have had good results with it.
We fed ziva, our GSD, royal canin for about a year. While a good food, it was hard to justify 60 dollars for no visual growth. Switched her over to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck the last 2-3 weeks and she has visually put on 3-4 lbs. I think we'll be sticking with it.

Just my two cents brother

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
You can feed that dog a wonderful raw diet in Lebanon.
There is absolutely no need to spend so much money on dog food.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can feed that dog a wonderful raw diet in Lebanon.
There is absolutely no need to spend so much money on dog food.
Well I wish, as a college student my time is off the essence. And I hope it is t as expensive my friend. I think the expensive part becomes from the source of protein.. That's the part that's intimidating me from switching to a raw diet.

I have a somewhat okay bag of dry food that he eats just to survive, and the royal canin that he eats until he explodes.. I'm thinking of mixing them both together. But of course when the bags finish in thinking of switching to a raw diet. He would be of good age as well.

I can offer unlimited supplies of chicken necks and feet. But someone told me I would also need direct sources of protein like goat, lamb, beef, etc. the kilos become expensive; as I said in another post.. The cheapest meat, which is beef is 12$ for a kilo, or 2.2 pounds. Which can be gobbled up in a day.

Now I'm not sure what the portions are and stuff. So I need help with that. Again I am a college student, id love to feed him a raw diet but if its about spontaneous buying and expensiveness I'm not sure if I can. Again, I do need enlightenment on the topic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am also from Leb, i have a beagle with a serious shedding problem, i have been referred to use royal canin, but i really find it expensive given that by beagle would use about 3 bags per month ! have you researched other brands? maybe there is a healthy less expensive alternative here?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts