German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone here has tried the RC Intestinal diets. I'm looking specifically at the RC Veterinary HE (high energy gastro-intestinal) dry food. However, I think that is a newer formula, so any feedback about the intestinal diets from them in general would be helpful. My vet believes my GSD has IBD, although we haven't done a biopsy, so no definitive diagnosis. He's had some major issues lately and will need to be on a vet formula of some kind for at least a month probably.

My vet recommended the Purina EN formula, basically long-term. And all they carry is Hills & Purina products. But based on ingredients and track records overall for products, I'd rather go with Royal Canin, and I'm hoping to be able to transition off of it after a month or so, and go back to his regular food (Acana grain free). I'll have to order it online, but it's still worth the extra money to me if it's a better product for my dog.

Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
When your dog has a problem, you feed whatever works for the dog and just don't look at the ingredients. For dogs that need prescription diets, they can be life savers. That said, you can do better with a home prepared diet if you are willing to do one.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I was wondering if anyone here has tried the RC Intestinal diets. I'm looking specifically at the RC Veterinary HE (high energy gastro-intestinal) dry food. However, I think that is a newer formula, so any feedback about the intestinal diets from them in general would be helpful. My vet believes my GSD has IBD, although we haven't done a biopsy, so no definitive diagnosis. He's had some major issues lately and will need to be on a vet formula of some kind for at least a month probably.

My vet recommended the Purina EN formula, basically long-term. And all they carry is Hills & Purina products. But based on ingredients and track records overall for products, I'd rather go with Royal Canin, and I'm hoping to be able to transition off of it after a month or so, and go back to his regular food (Acana grain free). I'll have to order it online, but it's still worth the extra money to me if it's a better product for my dog.

Thanks for any feedback!
The vets I work with like the RC formulas the best, including the non-prescription products. If your dog has IBD, you might want to reconsider Acana and stick with something specialized. IBD tends to come back. I think RC has diets that are not prescription that have enhanced digestibility without being as vapid as Hills. The Maxi Large Breed foods are extremely well thought out and highly digestible. The GSD formula also has enhanced digestibility.

How old is this dog?

·
Registered
32,020 Posts
When your dog has a problem, you feed whatever works for the dog and just don't look at the ingredients. For dogs that need prescription diets, they can be life savers. That said, you can do better with a home prepared diet if you are willing to do one.
^^^^^ This.

Not had the experience with dogs but have a cat with IBD that was fed SD ID for years before switching to RAW. I gave him three days worth of feloform a few weeks ago and it took me two weeks to clear the diarrhea. Do what works for you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. He's 5 yrs old. Maybe down the road, a home-cooked food would work, but for where he's at right now, I think he needs the veterinary diet formulas. When I tried chicken and rice several weeks back, it didn't go well at all. So I just don't think experimenting with balances of home cooked right now would go over great. Maybe in the future though. If I learn to cook ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts