German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
My GSD has been on prescription food, Royal Canin Untamino, due to stomach issues and chronic ear infections due to allergies. Galahad has done very well on this food and now it's out of stock everywhere. I've called his current vet (we recently moved and had to change vets) and prior vet with no luck. I've reached out to our current vet clinic for suggestions on what to do but haven't heard back from them after 3 days.
I'm looking for any recommendations for a food that may be similar and in stock? We are nearly out of food and switching his food will be tricky anyway. I'm very frustrated and starting to panic not knowing what his reaction to different food will be. He's 11 years old and needs a grain free, hypoallergenic diet.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Joni and Gali

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Thank you for this. I see that this is also hydrolyzed protein which is most important.
You're welcome! I hope your dog does fine with the switch. I have a 12 year old girl with EPI and suspected food allergies and this supply chain crisis has not been easy.

Another food you may want to put on your list just in case is Purina® Pro Plan® Veterinary Diets® Dog HA Hydrolyzed, it comes in dry and canned.
Purina® Pro Plan® Veterinary Diets® Dog HA Hydrolyzed™ Dry (vetsfirstchoice.com)
Purina® Pro Plan® Veterinary Diets® Dog HA Hydrolyzed™ Cans (vetsfirstchoice.com)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope your girl is doing ok through all of this. My vet also recommended science diet z/d, it's also hydrolyzed protein, they have a small bag of this in stock that I can pick up now.
Good luck to you and your sweet girl!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I hope your girl is doing ok through all of this. My vet also recommended science diet z/d, it's also hydrolyzed protein, they have a small bag of this in stock that I can pick up now.
Good luck to you and your sweet girl!
So far she's doing pretty good but from what I hear the supply chain crisis will get a lot worse. Nikki wouldn't touch the z/d unfortunately but she's a little picky. As a last resort I have a home cooked recipe for her that she tolerates well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I'm afraid of too, continued shortages and having to keep switching his food. The vet recommended the Purina hydrolyzed via email last night, but it doesn't even have real food ingredients in it, this is all making my head spin. He also advised against a grain free diet in dogs due to it causing heart issues. I got my GSD when he was 4 1/2 years old, his rescue stated in his bio that he was completely grain free due to his stomach issues. I don't think bringing grain into his diet at 11 years old is a great idea, or maybe it is? I'm so confused and just want to feed my dog the best and right food.

·
Registered
7,882 Posts
My dog is on a grain free diet for health reasons. Also a senior. There is nothing wrong with grain free if they can’t tolerate grains. Her food is also out of stock at the pet store. My other dog is on RC Rabbit and Potato due to serious food allergies and is doing very well on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since our GSD is a senior and has been doing well on grain free, I'm going to keep him on track with this as you are. We just started him on Hills Z/D since Ultamino is still out of stock, so far he's tolerating it ok and hope we can continue to get it. Hoping you find a good alternative too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts