German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a seminar at the dog club last night and two nutritionists were giving a talk on large dog nutrition. Neither are paid by any dog food companies, they are both university researchers.

We got to talking about non-sporting breeds and both were unanimous that Royal Canin made the best large breed foods on the market, including the GSD formula.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why? What is their opinion based on?

The proper nutrient profile, manufacturing quality & control, very very high digestibility, kibble size. I have always thought the specialized breed diets were a bit cheesy but the science guys really like them I learned.

The label reads a little odd but they said the science behind this is very well thought out and the food shows excellent results, especially from an assimilation standpoint. There purpose for being at the hunt club had nothing to do with RC or any other food it was mostly about things like stress related hypoglycemia, etc.

·
5,627 Posts
The proper nutrient profile, manufacturing quality & control, very very high digestibility, kibble size. I have always thought the specialized breed diets were a bit cheesy but the science guys really like them I learned.

The label reads a little odd but they said the science behind this is very well thought out and the food shows excellent results, especially from an assimilation standpoint. There purpose for being at the hunt club had nothing to do with RC or any other food it was mostly about things like stress related hypoglycemia, etc.
That didn't answer my question. What is their definition of the proper nutrient profile and what is it based on? Where did they get their information regarding manufacturing quality & control? Proof?

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That didn't answer my question. What is their definition of the proper nutrient profile and what is it based on? Where did they get their information regarding manufacturing quality & control? Proof?
Well listen. Both guys are Phd's from Penn, both are in their 50's so probably have 30 years experience each in animal nutrition. I will take their word that RC's research and ISO 9001:2001 Certification puts its near the top if not at the top in terms of quality control.

As far as proper nutrient profile goes, this is not the first time I have heard a science mind say the RC's diets were good.

Take it for what its worth.

·
5,627 Posts
I don't think you are capable of that.
:shocked: :cry:

Sable, I've asked you at least a dozen times to provide studies or some kind of proof to back up your claims. You haven't once been able to give any kind of factual information to back up your arguments about food. "Taking it for what it's worth" simply because people appear to be in a position of prestige isn't going to cut it.

I can assure you I am very capable of being educated and prefer to make up my own mind rather than taking someone's word for it. Now, if you'd like to provide some actual information and not just hearsay then maybe an intelligent conversation can be had by everyone on the board about canine nutrition.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:shocked: :cry:

Sable, I've asked you at least a dozen times to provide studies or some kind of proof to back up your claims. You haven't once been able to give any kind of factual information to back up your arguments about food. "Taking it for what it's worth" simply because people appear to be in a position of prestige isn't going to cut it.

I can assure you I am very capable of being educated and prefer to make up my own mind rather than taking someone's word for it. Now, if you'd like to provide some actual information and not just hearsay then maybe an intelligent conversation can be had by everyone on the board about canine nutrition.
Listen, the info was presented as a informal discussion with two highly thought of nutritionists. So take it for that value. How is it that you can scoff at RC but get all giddy about a Diamond product? Have you read the FDA reports on those plants?

The only other food i know with that quality control certification is Natura.

·
5,627 Posts
How is it that you can scoff at RC but get all giddy about a Diamond product?

Out of curiousity, what product do think I get "giddy" over?

And, for the record, I didn't scoff at any product. Just asked why these so called experts thought it was the bees knees. Apparently, you took their word at face value and didn't think to asky why.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
There is a sales person at Petsmart who is always pushing Nutro. Always saying studies prove its the best food available, best balanced nutrition, and if I listened long enough I'm sure he has scientific evidence to "prove" his claims.

*I* know the food is crap though.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Listen, the info was presented as a informal discussion with two highly thought of nutritionists. So take it for that value. How is it that you can scoff at RC but get all giddy about a Diamond product? Have you read the FDA reports on those plants?

The only other food i know with that quality control certification is Natura.
Sorry sable, I think you're wasting your breath. You are going to have a tough time finding a study that will help you out in so far as a "best" brand is concerned. I've tried. A few years ago the SACCI group published a great report on dog food ratings (Royal Canin was one of the top brands based upon their study). That report is out of print. It happens that I loaned my hard copy to some one and never got it back.

We have been using the Royal Canin Brand for a very long time (from baby food up to adult). We have never had a problem as is the case with some of our fellow GSD breeder friends. I would suggest that gsdraven do a little homework and check out their web site - oh wait, that was dumb - the web site belongs to Royal Canin. :)

·
5,627 Posts
I would suggest that gsdraven do a little homework and check out their web site - oh wait, that was dumb - the web site belongs to Royal Canin. :)
I can certainly read about Royal Canin on my own. My question was what these nutrionists that were giving a talk specifically on large breed nutrition had to say about what the proper nutrient profile was and how Royal Canin fit into that.

Maybe sable can at least tell us who these nutriton experts were so I can look up some of their research since sable doesn't remember what they said or how they came to that conclusion.

I didn't claim that Royal Canin was bad nor did I say any other food was better although I certainly have my opinions on that. I just wanted to know what made these experts say it was the best other than "they say so".

·
Registered
32,028 Posts
I don't think you are capable of that.
Why is it whenever someone asks you for documentation, even documentation you claim you have as you work in the pet food industry (your claim, not mine), instead of answering the question you choose to insult their intelligence?

My guess is you are either a troll or a corn broker. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Why is it whenever someone asks you for documentation, even documentation you claim you have as you work in the pet food industry (your claim, not mine), instead of answering the question you choose to insult their intelligence?

My guess is you are either a troll or a corn broker. :rolleyes:
Hey I like these food chats.....I just pray I can find one my dog will eat, I may rename her " Kate" or Kate Moss

·
Registered
32,028 Posts
It's your own fault for humoring her. YOU caused her to be a picky eater! Just feed her corn! :rofl: btw...how is she feeling? I missed your other thread today.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Personally - Royal Canin has worked great for my CAT. She's a persian, very finnicky and when not fed the right food chooses to barf all over, have runny poops and poop in my bath tub. Not cool.

As far as a dog food when I got Xander I looked into it - I thought "Oh, expensive must equal quality and it works great for the cat...WRONG!!!"

When I did some research on Royal Canin GSD formula I found the ingredients were CRAP.

I could go through and list all the stuff I don't like with the food but I won't - I'll just let Dog Food Analysis do it for me.

The food is rated 2 stars.

Dog Food Reviews - Royal Canin Maxi German Shepherd 24 - Powered by ReviewPost

Pros: First ingredient is a named meat product
Cons: Insufficient meat content, low quality grain, controversial filler

The first ingredient in the food is a named meat product, in meal form. It is the sole significant meat product in the food, and our confidence that this product contains a decent amount of meat is low. Soy protein isolate boosts the protein content of the food, but this is low quality protein and soy is commonly associated with food allergies in dogs.

The main grain in the food is rice. Brown rice is a decent quality product, but brewers rice is a low quality grain and byproduct. Chicken fat is the fourth ingredient. We note that research at Purdue university has identified fat in the top four ingredients of dry food as a factor increasing the risk of bloat in large breed dogs. Smaller breeds are untested. Oatmeal is a decent quality grain, but Cellulose is “purified, mechanically disintegrated cellulose prepared by processing alpha cellulose obtained as a pulp from fibrous plant materials”: otherwise known as sawdust.

Beet pulp is controversial filler which appears to be used in large quantities in this food. It is a by-product, being dried residue from sugar beets which has been cleaned and extracted in the process of manufacturing sugar. It is a controversial ingredient in dog food, claimed by some manufacturers to be a good source of fibre, and derided by others as an ingredient added to slow down the transition of rancid animal fats and causing stress to kidney and liver in the process. We note that beet pulp is an ingredient that commonly causes problems for dogs, including allergies and ear infections, and prefer not to see it used in dog food. There are less controversial products around if additional fibre is required.

Glucosamine and chondroitin are added to this food, but not in any useful or meaningful amounts.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Well listen. Both guys are Phd's from Penn, both are in their 50's so probably have 30 years experience each in animal nutrition.
If I had a $1 for every idiot PhD I met who secretly pushed whatever research pushed their end goal I would be a very rich woman.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts