German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imagine we will come home with a cone? What a normal re-coop time? I took 4 days off from work to be with her. ( hope that's enough) ..what about going up and down steps to go to the bathroom? There is no way to get outside without doing some steps...I really reallllllllly hope I don't have to carry her heavy butt up and down the stairs ..but I will if I have to.
I am going to miss her while she is gone and I'm nervous about her being put out and stuff. I have been through this with all of my cats and I was nervous with them too but I've done the whole cat thing since I was a little kid..always had cats ..always had them fixed. This dog thing is a whole new world for me.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Not all vets provide the cone, you can call ahead and ask what the clinic does so if you want a cone they can either make sure it's provided or you can pick one up in advance. Also, pain medication should hopefully be provided by the vet for the first few days home

Is she staying overnight or coming home same day? Either way, the first and second days are usually pretty low key so hopefully it will be easy to keep her quiet. On the third day don't be surprised if she's pinging off the walls and ready to play, it's your job to keep her quiet now. Lots of raw frozen bones, stuffed kongs, treats in puzzle games, lots of things that will stimulate her mind but keep her body quiet. Leash her if she starts running or acting too hyper, but otherwise I allow them to do low key walking and sniffing around when they feel like it. Moving around will help them feel more normal and gets the blood flowing

I wouldn't deliberately bring the dog up and down the stairs on a continuous basis but if they're comfortable enough they should be able to go up and down a few times a day without damaging anything.

Keep an eye on the incision, a little redness, bruising, and puffiness is normal as it heals but if it starts bleeding or looking really raw make sure she's not licking or bothering it. It doesn't hurt to call the vet and send photos if you're really worried and not able to drop in easily for them to inspect it. Better safe then sorry if you're worried

The main thing I always make sure to do is give them the full two weeks to rest, just because it looks healed on the outside and they're pinging off the walls doesn't mean they're ready for full on rough and tumble play again. I wait until the outside is fully closed and then give it another day or two then slowly let them be more and more normal, keeping an eye for any issues with the incision.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We just had our pup neutered not too long ago, I think a month ago. I would strongly suggest to get her the cone of shame that is if the vet doesn't supply one as ours did not. The 3rd day is when she started wanting to lick it so I ran and got her the cone.

The first 2 days will be very low key. She will most likely just lay there and not move really, don't be alarmed. Ask your vet about the food, mine said no water or food for 24 hours (they give them IV so they are fine) and even after 24 hours ours didn't want to eat.

After 2 days is the more important part because they get their energy back but still have stitches. So... No jumping, rough housing or anything that might pop those stitches. 12-14 days were the given time to remove the stitches for us.

MUST KNOW THIS!!! There is a very high possibility that she will be throwing up. Quite often. Ours did... Left and right, it was the IV. So try to keep her off the carpet or have paper towels ready so you can at least grab the throw up before it gets on the carpet. We had a roll of bounty paper towels at hand.

As for the stitches, just keep an eye on it. It will be a little red but as long as you don't see pus/blood or extreme swelling (half an inch) it is all good.

Don't stress or worry about it, as for a day or two she will just lay and chill. Her energy will be back, don't worry!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I know how worried you must be. I cancelled Dexters neuter, (second time cancelling) I just cant bring myself to do it :eek:. hes such a big baby, and has almost no pain tolerance LOL

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh it's making me sick thinking of her being put under and all the "what if's" . I am sure she's going to be fine but OMG she is my baby!

Where do you get cones if the vet doesn't provide one? I've never seen them anywhere. I just thought it would be a normal thing that they would send one home :( Then I am thinking of her in the kennel with a cone on . I do have the kitchen area all gated up and that's where she spends a good part of the time. I might just let her have that area to sleep in too at least for this while. I hope this all just goes smoothly and it's an easy recover. I took 4 days off from work but that's all I could take off and then it will have to return to normal here.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
99.9% of dogs recover uneventfully from a spay.

You have gotten very good advice so far. Pretty much what I tell clients.

Ask the vet for a cone. They may not routinely send them home with spays. But just ask for one.

I tell clients to leave it on whenever they are not watching the dog. But if you are chilling in the couch watching TV, it can come off as long as she stays in eyesight.

As for excersise. Leash walks to go potty only for the first 4 days, Then you can start walking around the block. But no further. Steps are OK if she is NOT running up them, after the four days. Before that, put a leash on her and make her walk up very slowly.

It is very hard to keep them perfectly calm, do your best. But don't overreact if she happens to jump on the couch.

Check her incision daily. If you notice a large red swelling, discharge, or odor, call your Vet.

There is sometimes a mild swelling under the skin, caused by a suture reaction. Usually is fine, but if it seeps, gets red, grows, go to the vet.

As for the procedure. Make sure you request an IV catheter, and fluids during the procedure. Make sure you go home with pain meds.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Just something to add a little brain work and make this just a bit fun -

When my lab was spayed, she had this thing about popping her stitches; which is a whole other story lol. Anyhow, I had to check her several times a day. Ended up training her to roll to her back instead of roll over. Didn't really think about the training I just wanted to see the stitches, until one day said the same dorky phrase 'lemme see your belly' she dropped and rolled to her back. She was so proud of herself doing that.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
she is home now and really drowsy...but they said she did well and don't anticipate any problems but sent me home with the cone and the sheet of after care. Thank you all for your advice and comforting words. :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
have not put the cone on but this afternoon she started investigating the wound ..she was pretty good when I told her not to lick her owie ( yes at this point I was talking the baby talk) ...she fell asleep in her kennel before I could think about putting the cone on ..which I think will probably have to happen tomorrow if she continues to be investigating. I don't want her licking or biting them open. But I will be worried all night she'll start and yank them all out. sleeping right beside her tonight.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Don't take a chance. Put the cone on. The more she wears it, she will get used to it. Better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I'd put the cone on her so she doesn't get the opportunity to think she even has a chance of getting to her surgery site.

Good luck. All of the spay recoveries we've had here were uneventful, thankfully. I remember Sania was all drugged up and didn't really want to move for a while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts