German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a visit today at the vets, and during the exam, vet told me he felt enlargements in her abdominal area. We did x-ray, which showed enlarged spleen. Vet said it could be a tumor and cancerous, he wont know until they remove it. I don't know what other options i have at this point. He said we can do an ultrasound, but that wont help me much, really.
So, we scheduled a surgery this coming Tuesday.

I don't know if this is the right decision.
Anyone had a dog with spleen problems?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Oh no!
I hope all turns out well! I'll keep her in my prayers. So scary when you hear things like this about our furbabies isn't it.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Friend of mine's dog (mix) had an enlarged spleen, when they got in there it was actually torsioned.
Harley no longer has a spleen and is doing well

Oh and ask about stomach tack if they're removing the spleen, some feel the extra room without the spleen can make it easier for a stomach torsion

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Poor baby she'll be in my thoughts
if its any help my husband is going in for surgery tuesday

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
thoughts and prayers are with you.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
It could very well be a torsion. Dogs can live with a spleen. My Vet recommended that we do CBC's at first every 3 months, then 6 months to a year, depending on how this looked on the previous tests.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Sending my best wishes and lots of warm thoughts and prayers for Roxy's spleen surgery.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
When my St.Bernard mix had a spleen torsion his spleen was huge like the size of a basketball, when the spleen is usually the size of a larger man's fist. It was a long recovery period, 11 days at the Vet 9 on IV support, because of the bruising of the intestines.

So just wait and see how the surgery goes and the biopsied of the spleen.

Hang in there.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Roxy is back home from the surgery. She's all loopy, poor baby. :eek:(

It turned out to be NOT a spleen, but a Gastric volvulus and dilatation (GDV) Her spleen is perfectly healthy, and every other organ is looking good.
Vet tacked her stomach to prevent future bloating. I would have never guessed. Scary stuff.

Thank you all for good wishes!!

·
Super Moderator
32,693 Posts
Glad to hear she's home and well!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Wow, so glad she did have a spleen problem but she is also lucky with the GDV!

She must have an angel running with her!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts