German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Hi, please refresh your memory about Bear, the GSD in N.C. from last week. I had heard, and I'm assuming that all of you had, too, that he had been rescued. THIS IS NOT THE CASE - HE IS CURRRENTLY IN THE ROWAN COUNTY SHELTER IN SALISBURY, N.C., AND WILL PROBABLY BE KILLED THIS TUESDAY IF NOT RESCUED!!!! If anyone can help this guy, please get him out of the shelter and give him the chance for happiness that he's never had in his short 1 1/2 years on this earth, thanks to the jerk whose house he landed in. Check out how handsome he is in the pics attached. Come on, let's get him out!! If someone can commit to him, I'll go pick him up. Please ask around, and crosspost this email to everyone you know, and any and all GSD rescues that you know. Let's work on this one together to get him a good life. thanks so much. donna holt
804-475-0360"

"Please cross post far and wide but keep me anonymous as I work for the same company!

We have to save this sweet pup who had the misfortune of being owned by a complete idiot!

A few months ago I saw an ad placed on my company's bulletin board in which a guy was looking for a home for his 1 1/2 year old German Shephard, Bear. The guy said that Bear was uncontrollable as a pet but made a great guard dog. He boasted that the only way he has been able to control Bear is by tethering him outside with a 400 lb. chain. Well, of course Bear acts up! He's chained 24/7! When I contacted the owner he claimed t hat Bear was being treated well (despite the fact that he has never been to the vet, not once) and that "I've only wanted the best for him." He apparently got Bear as a puppy but when he realized that, with a family and other animals cramped in his trailer, that Bear was going to big a big dog he was banished to the back yard. When Bear began climbing the fence he was chained. The owner even tried to tell me that he was a dog trainer. I called him on his BS and he still acted ignorant to his obvious neglect of Bear.

Mr. Jackson is located in Landis, NC so I quickly contacted NC area reps for Dogs Deserve Better but apparently that fell through because Mr. Jackson claims that he never heard from them.

Well, today I see this new ad from Mr. Jackson placed on my company's bulletin board-

1 1/2yr old Male. No shot record, Never Fix. Not good wit h Kids or small animals. Must find home. next week he will go to be put down.

Never bitten anyone, Has attacked smaller dogs. Just to large of a dog to keep with small kids.

Please do not E-mail. Call 704-490-9388 Cell....JJ

Please, I know there has to be someone out there willing to save Bear from death. I'm sure he just needs some training and he will probably be a great pet. Does anyone have contacts in NC who can save this pup and rehabilitate him from the damage his stupid owner has done?

I have enclosed Mr. Jackson's number which can be found in the ad that he posted, as well as the pictures he sent me a few months ago. Please consider helping Bear know that all people aren't as bad as Mr. Jackosn.

PS. I've already requested that he be put on a DNA list but if you'd also like to ad him feel free. This man should not be allowed to ruin any more anuimal's lives."

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rowan County Animal Control
Salisbury, NC
704-216-7768

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cindy...if you email me...I can forward you the cross post to save you time........

[email protected]

THANK YOU

·
Registered
913 Posts
I am so heartbroken for Bear. I just can't commit to him at this time. Is there someone out there to help him? This boy sounds just like my Frank, a PB GSD that we saved from his terrible owner. He spent his last years with us and was loved by all who knew him. Once Bear gets out of this situation, it is possible that he could be a great dog just like our experience!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I can donate to an approved rescue to help with Bear's expenses.

Please send me a PM if help is needed.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am copying and pasting an email I just received.

Is anybody available to pull Bear, has rescue, at least get him out of Rowan as Rowan wants "it" out. We need a little bit of help transporting him but right now we just need him pulled, please!

Contact [email protected] and [email protected]

Donna Holt has stepped in and has offered to do a majority of the transport but she can't get to him until Saturday so we are hoping that at the very least someone can pull him and hold him for a few days so she can come get him. She can be reached at [email protected] or 804-475-0360.

It is my understanding that Rowan is about a half hour outside of Greensboro, NC. Looking at yahoo maps it appears that it it will take about 2 1/2 hours driving west to reach 95. We are trying to track down someone closer to that area to get him pulled and closer to Raleigh, NC which is closer to the major interstates.

I'd love to see him pulled, fostered for a couple of days, and then set up a transport with a minimum of 3 legs so no one is overwhelmed. I have already offered Donna a gas card and will also contribute to the other legs if we can get him.

Basically whatever it takes!

----- Original Message -----
To: Donna Holt ; [email protected] ; [email protected] ; [email protected]
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 3:47 PM
Subject: Bear update

I'm sorry I've been silent for most of the day today. My office email was down and there was no way to access anything while it was being worked on. That was an excruciating wait, worried that by the time I could get to my Bear emails that it would be too late for him.

Okay, here's what we've got so far-

Donna Holt called the Rowan County animal shelter to place a hold on Bear and let them know that a rescue has spoken for him. Hopefully that'll buy him some time. I called them a few moments ago and they said I need to come get "it" as soon as possible but that they would give us a few days.

Bob Tillack of B.A.R.K. in Ashland, VA has agreed to take in and rehabilitate Bear if we can get him up here.

Rowan County Animal Shelter is located 4 1/2 hours from Bark's location in Ashland. It's a pretty rural shelter that is an hour away from any of the major cities in NC (Charlotte, Greensboro) so getting him on a major highway and on a transport will be a challenge but will be worth it to get Bear into a good rescue and eventually into a loving, deserving home.

Do any of you know anyone in the NC area that could get him pulled and help to get him to a major thoroughfare for transport? Donna Holt has offered to do quite a large section of the transport but we should be able to get this broken into a few legs so no one is overwhelmed. I would go down there and pull him myself if my doctor would let me drive.

Please crosspost so this guy can get out of the shelter as soon as possible. The shelter employe es are obviously overwhelmed and I'm terrified that they will forget and have him PTS anyway.

"Donna Holt" <[email protected]>

06/09/2008 11:11 AM

To
<[email protected]>
cc

Subject

Jessica, I called the shelter and she's putting "hold" on Bear so they will not euthanize him - so, i hope they know what they're talking about - but if there is any way you can get him before i get down there, that would be great. i don't trust those places. the lady's name at the shelter is Pat. if you get there and she needs BARK info, call me and i'll tell you who to call. i'll have to come down fri nite if no one pulls him cause they close at 11:00 on sat - that would really help me if you could get him out prior to that!!!! don't want to have to stay in a hotel if not necessary - gas is $$ enough!! ok - so, it sounds good - if we can just keep him safe til then. also, i there is any way you could check out his disposition, that would be really wonderful! donna

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 270.0.0/1491 - Release Date: 6/9/2008 6:52 AM
ForwardSourceID:NT0001CD56

This message, including any attachment, may contain information that
is confidential and protected by the attorney-client privilege or
work-product doctrine. If you are not the intended recipient, please
discard this message and notify the sender immediately.

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I received a sad email this morning:

Quote:I called down to the Rowan Animal Shelter this morning and spoke with Pat. She stated that when they came in this morning, Bear was dead in his kennel. They were trying to blame it on the distemper outbreak that they are having, but Bear wasn't in there long enough to show signs of distemper let alone die from it. I asked about air conditioning and she said that they have a "big fan" in the kennel. Pat said that Bear was lifeless yesterday and would not eat. I'm thinking he died of heat stroke and the shelter workers were uneducated about the symptoms of heat stroke....

Bob Tilliack of BARK - Thank you so much for stepping up to the plate and offering to take him and rehabilitate him. You save so many innocent lives every week and we just love you for it.

Donna Holt - Thank you so much for offering to drive all the way down there to get him and then drive all the way back. You are definitely a rescue/transport angel and I'm glad we're friends.

Jessica Kirwin - Thank you for the offer of the gas card to help Donna with the cost of gas. But most of all, thank you for caring enough to send out a plea for help for this guy. You are an awesome person.

Thank you to everyone else who cross posted like crazy to help save this handsome fella. Please know that he is at peace now and resting in the arms of an angel. As for his owner, what goes around, comes around.
RIP Bear - people were pulling for you.

dd

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Re: ROWAN CO,NC-M 1 1/2-BEAR-TOO BIG-EUTH TUES 6/1

This is so sad!!

·
Registered
964 Posts

What a horrible way to go.
Anyone near that shelter able to donate fans so this doesn't happen again?

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Poor poor Bear....never ever had a real life. I think that's what upsets me the most.....

You were loved by us Bear........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts