German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so the family has a new puppy, and like most he has roundworms. The puppy had pooped on the floor a few times and it was picked up, however no cleaning supplies were used to wipe the floor as the poop was firm. We have since walked over the area, and my question is could there be roundworm eggs where the poop was and could we be tracking it all over the house? If so what is the risk of us getting it?

I know it sounds like I'm paranoid, its because i am!

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,690 Posts
worms or not... for the health of your family, cleanliness of your home and for ease of housebreaking... i would get in the habit of thoroughly cleaning up ANY messes that your dog makes, even if there is no visible residue. he may not be tracking eggs specifically, but you all are surely tracking other bacteria’s and fecal matter around.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
As Fodder said, I would clean up after any mess your puppy makes using an enzyme cleaner. I love this one because it actually kills ticks and fleas and any and all worms, as well as cleaning up nicely. AND it's non toxic to pets or people!

Kleen Green - Natural Ginesis

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Is the risk of contracting roundworm substantial, in terms of non-visible amounts MAY have been left over? Now that we have walked everywhere and tracked it all over, should i be cleaning the entire house or just forgetting about it and just clean future messes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, however is there any real risk of roundworms from any non-visible residues that MAY have been left over? As in getting on my feet and tracking all over the house.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Fodder's right. You're worrying about the wrong thing. Fecal bacteria is NASTY stuff, so don't give it a chance to survive.

If you're a "minimalist cleaner," then the easiest thing would be wipe the floor with a disinfecting wipe -- like the ones in the canisters from Lysol or Clorox or Seventh Gen. Spray with enzyme cleaner *after* disinfecting.

You don't want it all over your house -- imagine you drop your keys on the way out on the floor, pick them up, snack on a granola bar on the way to work without using hand sanitizer, and end up with projectile vomiting and days of diarrhea.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Humans can't 'catch' roundworms from a dog. The worms are host-specific. As others have said, it's the bacteria in the poop you need to worry about.

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
Humans can't 'catch' roundworms from a dog. The worms are host-specific. As others have said, it's the bacteria in the poop you need to worry about.

Last I knew puppy roundworms (very common in pups) were able to be hosted by humans. On the other hand, what I've used with young pup "wrecks" is Nature's Miracle --- and I often use simply a damp "soap and water" towel. Haven't caught worms from dogs yet in many years of living with dogs.

·
Registered
297 Posts
wow reaing your situation makes ME crazy !
my dog has coccidia once and it drove me crazy too, thinking "should i flip the house upside down and quarantine the whole place?!?!?!"

it drove me crazy and i thought i couldn't do it so i just gave up.
instead, i threw away all his toys, (which was heart breaking because they were some money), showered my dog, and washed the beddings (my bed as well since he sleeps there too).

and i hoped for the best.

2 weeks later after medication, i drop off the poop and i get an all clear and i was very very relieved.

i didn't step on my dog's poop and walk all over hte house though haha :rofl:

anyways, i wish you luck. i feel your stress

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Last I knew puppy roundworms (very common in pups) were able to be hosted by humans. On the other hand, what I've used with young pup "wrecks" is Nature's Miracle --- and I often use simply a damp "soap and water" towel. Haven't caught worms from dogs yet in many years of living with dogs.
I agree! Handle contaminated puppy poop and risk becoming infected. I am no expert on hosts. I know raccoons are a definitive round worm host. The worms never leave their intestines. (Episode of Dr. K Exotic Animal Vet.) LOL! I don't know what kind of host that makes dogs and humans. Intermediate? Aberrant? But I do know that in humans, roundworms often migrate and can damage organs and eyes. The eye thing really freaks me out.

I'd clean everything, just for my peace of mind. Wear gloves. Wash hands. Poop is a hazard - worms or not.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
My understanding is that humans have to actually swallow common canine roundworm eggs to be infected, so good hygiene and hand-washing is basically all you need to not get infected -- pretty low-risk if you practice good hygiene and clean up!
https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxocariasis/gen_info/faqs.html

That infection method differs from hookworms, where the larvae burrow through the soles of feet when you walk barefoot over infected soil. It's also different than Dirofilaria species which are transmitted by mosquitoes.

Stevenzachsmom's comment just reminded me that there was an episode of Monsters Inside me on Animal Planet about a roundworm in a lady's eyeball -- the eye surgery pulling the worm out of the eyeball is a little gorey so view at your own discretion:

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
My understanding is that humans have to actually swallow common canine roundworm eggs to be infected, so good hygiene and hand-washing is basically all you need to not get infected -- pretty low-risk if you practice good hygiene and clean up!
https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxocariasis/gen_info/faqs.html

That infection method differs from hookworms, where the larvae burrow through the soles of feet when you walk barefoot over infected soil. It's also different than Dirofilaria species which are transmitted by mosquitoes.

Stevenzachsmom's comment just reminded me that there was an episode of Monsters Inside me on Animal Planet about a roundworm in a lady's eyeball -- the eye surgery pulling the worm out of the eyeball is a little gorey so view at your own discretion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EevqmzkGJaE
Ew, Maggie! Nooooooo! LOL!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts