German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD loves to play with another GSD. Recently, his friend put a puncture wound in weimie. I wasn't there when it happened, so I'm not sure if it was an accident or intentional.
On Wednesday, we came home from our play date and I noticed my shepherd acting oddly. I did a body check and found a huge gaping wound on his side. I could fit my fist inside (I didn't, just letting you know the size.) We took him to the e-vet and she said it was a huge dog bite wound. He ended up being double stitched since it's by his left upper arm/stomach area and they put a drain in.
I can't believe this happened. I feel terrible. I didn't hear a fight break out and I didn't hear anyone help. I saw them playing, running in the bushes etc.
Although, I'm not positive that his friend did this to him, he's the most likely culprit. My dog loves to be chased and maybe his friend got too close and a tooth got caught when he turned?
My dog LOVES playing with this dog. He kind of idolizes his confidence so he feels safe around him. Often times, I see him trying to get his friend's attention- play with me, play with me. Sometimes his friend will get annoyed and bark back. So maybe he got annoyed with my dog?
I don't know. And may never know. But my question to all you dog parents out there-
Would you continue to let your dog play with this other dog???

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Its kinda odd that no one heard or saw anything. That is a pretty big wound and I'm sure that there was some kind of noise? Since you don't know, but are leaning toward it being that dog I would let them play heavily supervised. If they play well together, I'm not sure this was done intentionally?? I wouldn't let your dog out of your sight.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
A dog fight can last seconds, if one of the dogs submits quickly. However, most dog fights will be extremely loud and last long enough for you to witness.

My Lacy will submit to my GSD. But when the Lacy gets too pushy, my GSD will correct. It is up to me to correct or stop him and not my GSD. Twice they've gotten into an actual fight. Both were loud, vicious fights. Neither time did either dog have a mark on him.

Supervision, means 24/7. It only takes a moment for a stink eye to escalate.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
check the area where the dogs were playing to make sure
your dog didn't cut on something.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There wasn't any wood in his wound and I can see what looks like abrasions from other teeth next to his wound.

My dog plays loud (growling), but I would have heard a fight. I'm thinking it was an accident, but still very scary. I always watch him closely, but sometimes they run out of sight, or I'm picking up his poop. Things can happen so quickly.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Maybe a wound that abcessed from a previous play date? That would explain the gaping hole. In play, it's not that hard to get a puncture .. heck I can show you a puncture on the heel of my hand right now that is healing. Darn puppy teeth.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
What we consider play is sometimes 2 dogs sizing each other up and seeing who is the strongest and fastest.

For me I don't like my dogs getting too excited with other dogs as things can kick off quickly if you are not totally in control. It is no advantage behaviorally/training wise, to let your dog run wild with other dogs.

He may look like he loves it but he is not paying any attention to you. You may find it hard to recall your dog and if you try obedience the dog will be easily distracted by a running dog.

I simply try to burn off the dogs energies in games that I devise, rather than letting them make there own fun.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Were these the only two dogs together or was there other dogs? I ask because you mention the most likely culprit. If there were other dogs, I'd keep it between shepherds and forget the rest. I would also supervise the interaction very closely next time.

If there were no other dogs there, just the two, I'd say no more interaction period. To me I'd look around where they were playing and see if there is something your dog could have gotten cut on. But I wouldn't let him interact with that dog anymore.

Things happen so fast and it can be over in a second if one submits quickly. Also, Where were you guys when it happened? Backyard, dogpark?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We were at a dog park and they were playing. He has great recall during play and will always come to me. Sometimes they run off into the bushes or over the hill but are never out of sight for more than a minute. The wound was definitely new according to the vet.
I say most likely b/c I didn't see for myself how my dog got injured. He has been playing with this dog since he was a puppy but they are both strong males.
I'm thinking it better to be safe and only let them play if the other one is muzzled. Can you tell intent from a wound? I wish I knew if this was an accident or the result of a fight.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
If a dog needs to be muzzled to play, he doesn't need to be playing with other dogs. I don't think I would agree to my dog being muzzled so someone else's dog could play with him.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Some dogs just have poor control over how strong their bites are. For those it can help if they like to carry something- my male isn't allowed to play without a toy in his mouth. But the wound you describe sounds much more serious than a simple, overexcited result of poor bite inhibition. Playing wouldn't be an important enough reason to me, to risk letting them off-leash together again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The other dog is often muzzled as he plays too rough with other dogs (non-GSD).

I agree with Angie. Better to be safe than sorry. My dog actually always carries a ball or stick around. He doesn't get distracted as easily and it's almost like a pacifier for him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts