German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took Apollo, my almost 11 week old GSD over to my brother's home to socialize with his almost 10 week old WGSD and at first both dogs were kinda excited, and they chased each other, romping around in the grass. This wasn't a problem, but when we go inside, rough housing commenced. At first it was just wrestling, normal puppy behavior, but then they tried to dominate each other. Beau, the WGSD, after getting pinned once or twice by Apollo finally pinned Apollo down, and Apollo got angry and started to get aggressive. We broke it up, tried calming them down. As long as Apollo didn't get pinned, he played appropriately, but when he did, he got aggressive.

Is this just because of lack of dog socialization? He really hasn't been around other dogs, and I have a feeling the breeder didn't socialize him with other dogs that much either. What should I do to correct/prevent this from happening?

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I am anxious to hear what others have to say about this. I wonder if a neutral location would have been better rather than on the WGSD's turf.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, we wanted to continue socialization tomorrow at our home, bringing Beau over, we were gonna walk Apollo first though, and maybe with Beau to wear down some of their energy, and get them more used to each other. Is this a bad idea?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Out of curiosity, did anybody yelp? I dont know really but my girl plays with fosters that come through, sometimes it gets rough and looks real serious, my girl has a very ferocious growl, but it never escalates, if someone yelps, game over, not from me breaking it up, but they stop playing completely on their own, chill for a few minutes and then go back to playing. Are you sure it is agression and not just rough play? My dogs have knocked over tables playing.....no aggression.....just fun.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the WGSD yelped, but it wasn't loud, it was like Apollo got so mad that this WGSD that was slightly smaller then him pinned him to the ground. It was the first time that they've met.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
If Apollo didnt recognize the yelp, then that probably needs work. The saying on here I keep hearing is a tired puppy is a good puppy, so I would say wearing him out first may be a good step.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, good to know. I'm going to be posting pictures of the event, because at first, all was well, then he got pinned, and well, you know the rest. Maybe you can see something in the pictures I didn't point out.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
May not be as bad as you think.

GSDs 'play fight.' Two puppies that young may just be learning how far they can push it.

Watch the interaction and see if, after a scuffle, they go back to running after each other for fun.

When my dogs play it sounds serious. If you look closely, no one is getting hurt and they keep love it.

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
Well the 2 pups held back on Cira's litter Fanthom and Spirit both play real hard, Both are kind of like kids, they fight over the same toys and they sometime sound like they are killing each other, Yes when one yelps they usually stop for a few minutes. To me it sounds like they need to know each others limitations and when is when. It sounds like just puppy's playing hard, thats all

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I think you're right. I think they were just playing hard, and not necessarily knowing each other's limits. Other than today, he's been really affectionate, always excited when someone from the family comes home, he's very good with children so far. Other than normal puppy issues like teething and becoming house broken, he's just an awesome dog, who LOVES carrots.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts