German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Ruger
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm a new GSD owner. Ruger is 10 months old and lots of energy, which is fine. The issue starts when he gets over excited during playtime. If I reach for the toy we are playing with he REALLY goes for it and ends up biting my hand while trying to get the toy... hard. We've been working on patience training using a wait command, but has no effect when over excited. In addition I may have created a further issue as in the past I had grabbed the toy quickly as to get to it before he would. I feel that may be a reason to his lunging for toys I reach for. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
558 Posts
Search playing two ball. Have you taught him drop it. I combine the two. When my girl brings the ball back I have her drop it, then I throw the other ball as a reward for the drop. I pick up the dropped one while she runs after the 2nd one. Rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
Ruger
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Search playing two ball. Have you taught him drop it. I combine the two. When my girl brings the ball back I have her drop it, then I throw the other ball as a reward for the drop. I pick up the dropped one while she runs after the 2nd one. Rinse and repeat.
Drop it is another command that isn't coming easily. Unfortunately since he's a pandemic puppy, I was unable to enroll him in any credible training programs, that being said we've done alright with home schooling (first dog I've trained alone)... aside from a few quirks. The tough spots are, recall, drop it and off.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Within the context of 2-ball fetch, the dog doesn't have to know "drop it". When he inevitably comes (most of way) back to you, intent on keeping the ball, tease him with the 2nd ball and the moment he drops the first ball, throw the 2nd ball. Depending on what behavior(s) you choose to mark, you are basically reinforcing retrieves, recalls and drop it.

You'll eventually reach a point where your pup drops the first ball (on his own) in anticipation of the 2nd ball. If you've been marking the "dropping" behavior, now you just have to name it. Add "drop it" just before (or as close as you can get it) he drops it. he drops it, mark it "yes!", toss ball #2 or toss ball #1 again, since he gave it up. I like to continue with 2, to maintain a nice flow. I also feel that it helps with carrying over "drop it" to other objects, since you're maintaining the idea of "trading" one for another (a treat or more appropriate thing to chew).

edited to add info
I forgot to mention that the reward after marking "yes!" for dropping the ball (with or without a behavior name attached) is you immediately throwing a ball, so the game can continue.

Good luck & have fun!

·
Registered
Ruger
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Within the context of 2-ball fetch, the dog doesn't have to know "drop it". When he inevitably comes (most of way) back to you, intent on keeping the ball, tease him with the 2nd ball and the moment he drops the first ball, throw the 2nd ball. Depending on what behavior(s) you choose to mark, you are basically reinforcing retrieves, recalls and drop it.

You'll eventually reach a point where your pup drops the first ball (on his own) in anticipation of the 2nd ball. If you've been marking the "dropping" behavior, now you just have to name it. Add "drop it" just before (or as close as you can get it) he drops it. he drops it, mark it "yes!", toss ball #2 or toss ball #1 again, since he gave it up. I like to continue with 2, to maintain a nice flow. I also feel that it helps with carrying over "drop it" to other objects, since you're maintaining the idea of "trading" one for another (a treat or more appropriate thing to chew).

edited to add info
I forgot to mention that the reward after marking "yes!" for dropping the ball (with or without a behavior name attached) is you immediately throwing a ball, so the game can continue.

Good luck & have fun!
We'll definitely give that a try! The whole "become boring and he'll drop it, then mark" has not been working😂. This puppy doesn't get "bored" with anything. Other than that, any advice on lunging for toys when we go to pick them up? He shares well with other dogs, just not with people

·
Super Moderator
5,637 Posts
I would recommend the Michael Ellis video Power of Playing Tug. It demonstrates how to teach the out in a motivational way and how to structure play sessions in a way that the dog wants to do what you want him to do.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would recommend the Michael Ellis video Power of Playing Tug. It demonstrates how to teach the out in a motivational way and how to structure play sessions in a way that the dog wants to do what you want him to do.
At what age do you think its appropriate to start playing tug? I got the Michael Ellis video but in first lesson he said don't play when teething so I stopped. I am guessing right after teething is done ?

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Most play some form of tug from day 1, then generally take a break from it during teething (roughly 4-6 mos). The important thing is to be appropriate with the intensity level, i.e. don't overpower your pup.

Ellis states in one of his videos that he uses the teething break to really focus on obedience & manners.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
A savvy member in this forum sent me this video years ago......I applied some of the basic concepts displayed and it made wonderful differences. Impulse control training takes patience......start small.....perfect the behavior and increase the duration and difficulty.

I understand the video is discussing other behaviors as well......but achieving a solid aus with focus and drive being enhanced via anticipation seems to be a great way to go.

·
Super Moderator
5,637 Posts
At what age do you think its appropriate to start playing tug? I got the Michael Ellis video but in first lesson he said don't play when teething so I stopped. I am guessing right after teething is done ?
I start from day 1 and use the teething break for engagement, OB, Nosework and leash pressure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts