German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have been thinking about these two breeds of dog. The Rottweiler, and the German Shepherd. Considering all of the traits between the two breeds, which one do you think dominates? ( I know, silly to post that question on a GSD Forum LoL )And do you think these breeds are particularly similiar? And if so, in which fashion? Intelligence? Strength? Work ethics? I think both breeds share a lot of the same traits. I was wondering what you guys thought about this just out of curiosity.
Do you think the Rottweiler measures up to our beloved German Shepherd?

I figured this could be a good discussion

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Rotties are one of my other favorite breeds. My dog Chama was half rottweiler and because Chama was so wonderful several of my friends adopted rottweilers. My experience has been that they are very different and both wonderful in their own way. Rotties are more like big labs. They tend to be softer dogs than gsds and are also more independent...they don't need to accompany you to the bathroom every time you go and they are willing to stay outside even if you aren't there with them.

Rotties are very biddable and have an excellent work ethic. They are fast learners and excellent problem solvers.

One big thing in their favor: they do not shed nearly as much as gsds!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I think that my rescue is part Rottweiler - the majority of people, including vets, will ask me if she is part Rottweiler upon first meeting her - that seems to be the dominant physical traits. She also herds and nips other dogs when chasing and playing, and I was told that is a typical Rottweiler herding behaviour - the way she controls other dogs by pushing them with her body, doing body blocks at a full run, and nippint at the other dog's flanks and rear legs.

I was doing Schutzhund with her, and was looking for a "real" Schutzhund dog that I would be able to title, and looked into getting a Rottweiler, them Rottweiler puppies are just too darned cute for their own good! I posted questions about Rottweilers vs. German Shepherds for Schutzhund on both this board and a Rottweiler board, and the answers comparing the two breeds were eerily similar. The concensus was that in general, Rottweilers have lower drives and lower energy than GSDs. Their work ethic has been largely lost, as most are bred for pets rather than work.

They are more independent with a "what's in it for me" attitude, softer and more sensitive. However, they have a much more serious side to them when trained for protection work, and it can be more difficult to keep that seriousness under control once it is brought out through training.

I expected the Rottweiler people on the Rottweiler board to show a bit of Rottweiler bias (which would be fine - every breed needs their supporters and champions), and was suprised that even those who worked and titled their dogs were pointing me toward a GSD instead. They pretty much said: If you want a Rottweiler, get a Rottweiler, if you want to do Schutzhund, get a German Shepherd.

Though I would still like to have a Rottweiler some day - I think they are really cool dogs.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
i think shepherds are much more pleasing to the eye. i've never had a rottie but have known others who have and really liked them.

as an afterthought...i wonder if shepherds aren't smarter. do they use rotties for guide dogs? sar dogs? war dogs? bomb or drug dogs? assistance dogs? therapy dogs? are there lots in obedience and agility? are they good at it? i know they're good at being guard dogs.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: CastlemaidI think that my rescue is part Rottweiler - the majority of people, including vets, will ask me if she is part Rottweiler upon first meeting her - that seems to be the dominant physical traits. She also herds and nips other dogs when chasing and playing, and I was told that is a typical Rottweiler herding behaviour - the way she controls other dogs by pushing them with her body, doing body blocks at a full run, and nippint at the other dog's flanks and rear legs.

I was doing Schutzhund with her, and was looking for a "real" Schutzhund dog that I would be able to title, and looked into getting a Rottweiler, them Rottweiler puppies are just too darned cute for their own good! I posted questions about Rottweilers vs. German Shepherds for Schutzhund on both this board and a Rottweiler board, and the answers comparing the two breeds were eerily similar. The concensus was that in general, Rottweilers have lower drives and lower energy than GSDs. Their work ethic has been largely lost, as most are bred for pets rather than work.

They are more independent with a "what's in it for me" attitude, softer and more sensitive. However, they have a much more serious side to them when trained for protection work, and it can be more difficult to keep that seriousness under control once it is brought out through training.

I expected the Rottweiler people on the Rottweiler board to show a bit of Rottweiler bias (which would be fine - every breed needs their supporters and champions), and was suprised that even those who worked and titled their dogs were pointing me toward a GSD instead. They pretty much said: If you want a Rottweiler, get a Rottweiler, if you want to do Schutzhund, get a German Shepherd.

Though I would still like to have a Rottweiler some day - I think they are really cool dogs.

That is an excellent post, Castlemaid. Thank you.

A lot of great information to be learned. Im glad I posted this question. I have always wanted both breeds. One day I may own both.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Rotties also have a lot of health problems. Not as many as gsds but still have more than their fair share.

And they are very protective. I always felt safe with Chama by my side. She had an uncanny ability to sniff out real danger and was appropriately protective in the house.

She played like Lucia describes. She could take down a dog twice her size!

She was extremely intelligent. My friends called her the rocket scientist. She had an unlimited capacity to learn new things and was always willing to work for food.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats right. I knew there was a ONE particular reason why I wanted a GSD more than a Rottweiler. They drool!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Mine never drooled.
I had a Rottie which I adopted from rescue when my 1st GSD was a senior. She was tall & lean & gorgeous, not a thick tank like some are. I think they are beautiful, powerful, intelligent, & sweet. They are a bit more independent. They also have a goofy side to them. Whereas my Shepherd took everything seriously, even play was work. But the Rottie could be a clown. I like to think of them as a lab with a twist.
Both breeds are protective. I've heard that a Rott will let an intruder in, but not let them out.
Rotts have a stubborn streak at times. They shed FAR less. My Rottie was fantastic with my daughter when she was a baby, phenomenal. She was like a living teddy bear. She had great instincts about character.
When I was rehabilitating my rescued Rott, she gave me a rough time of it. I was at the vet w/ both dogs once and asking for advice about some behavior issue with the R., and the vet said, "she's a dog that's what dogs do." I replied that the GS didn't ever do this and he said something I'll never forget. Pointing to the Rott he said, "this is a dog." Pointing to the GS he said "That one is a German Shepherd Dog. Don't expect any dog to be like your shepherd" I know that I'm shepherd-centric, but there's something about many GSD's that transends the canine realm. I never forgot my Rott was a dog. But my GS became nearly human, I felt she was a perfectly behaved 14 yr old daughter trapped in a dog's body.

I always knew I'd have another GSD and am so happy with my baby girl. I also learned to respect & love the Rotts too and will probably have another one day. I like the 2 breeds together because one fills the gaps of the other. Mine were fantastic together.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
transcends the canine realm. i never heard it put quite that way before, but that's exactly what it is.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowRotties are one of my other favorite breeds. My dog Chama was half rottweiler and because Chama was so wonderful several of my friends adopted rottweilers. My experience has been that they are very different and both wonderful in their own way. Rotties are more like big labs. They tend to be softer dogs than gsds and are also more independent...they don't need to accompany you to the bathroom every time you go and they are willing to stay outside even if you aren't there with them.
I agree with all of this, it describes the Rotties I've known pretty well...especially the big Labs part! Rotties are a little goofier than GSDs and (at least the ones I've known) more outgoing, whereas GSDs tend to be more guarded towards strangers.

I usually say Rotties are like big teddy bears. Rotties are more like the guy at the office who likes to play around and joke with everyone, whereas the GSD is the guy who is always busy with something and takes his work and his play both seriously.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I love rotties but do they compare to the GSD? naw. ok I know i am bias but I work with dogs and often see 15-20 dogs in a day and not one has come even close to the intelligence of my GSD. In fact one of the smartest dogs I ever knew was a rottie and even he wasn't close to Paige the Rage.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I have always wanted a rottie and a shep at the same time but my DH did not want a rotti, he thinks their dangerous. His mom got to him on that. From the rotties I have met as I have met a few none drooled, there is a guy on this forum, from Thailand I think he calls his dogs the 3 brothers, he has a rottie, a GSD and a pit, all male. They are gorgeous dogs hope he post again soon if you wanted to see his piks he post under pictures.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Originally Posted By: The SergeantLately I have been thinking about these two breeds of dog. The Rottweiler, and the German Shepherd. Considering all of the traits between the two breeds, which one do you think dominates? ( I know, silly to post that question on a GSD Forum LoL )And do you think these breeds are particularly similiar? And if so, in which fashion? Intelligence? Strength? Work ethics? I think both breeds share a lot of the same traits. I was wondering what you guys thought about this just out of curiosity.
Do you think the Rottweiler measures up to our beloved German Shepherd?

I figured this could be a good discussion
Check out a dog that, on the surface, seems to be an interesting combination of both.....

Beauceron

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Originally Posted By: Wayne02

Check out a dog that, on the surface, seems to be an interesting combination of both.....

Beauceron
I really want a Beauceron, (someday) I've been interested in the breed for a while now. They are so beautiful and are amazing working dogs... Their looks remind me of a mix between Rottie and Doberman.

I really love the harlequin Beauceron but they are even less common than the black and rust dogs.

·
Registered
674 Posts
i think shepherds are much more pleasing to the eye. i've never had a rottie but have known others who have and really liked them.

as an afterthought...i wonder if shepherds aren't smarter. do they use rotties for guide dogs? sar dogs? war dogs? bomb or drug dogs? assistance dogs? therapy dogs? are there lots in obedience and agility? are they good at it? i know they're good at being guard dogs.
I actually know quite a few friends of mine who use their rotties as therapy dogs and also have seen rotties as service dogs. Obedience and agility, without a doubt, they do wonderfully at. They just have a different type of drive in my eyes. Shepherds are serious. Very serious, especially about their "job." Rotties tend to just love to do whatever their handler tells them to do. I would love a rottie someday!! :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
as the current owner of 2 rotties and a gsd the rotties are more out going towards strangers away from my house the gsd will stand back and watch and take everything in my rotties don't drool and they are big goof balls as far as protection of my home all 3 the dogs are very protective

1 - 20 of 28 Posts