German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My regular source of RMB he eats fine these are Turkey necks, pork necks chicken legs tho I don't feed chicken anymore. I am about to introduce quail legs I dont think these will be an issue.

It's when I get something out of the ordinary day to day stuff. I still get them fairly often, maybe not often enough? Say a rack of ribs, a goat leg, a good meaty knuckle, picnic roast I think they are called with the bone. Apex doesn't want them fresh he likes to let them rot or ripen lol. He would like to bury them but that's not an option.

I'm not sure if I should let him do this, I oddly don't mind the stink so bad. I don't leave them outside for flys to lay eggs, I realize this is still a possibility inside. I've tried leaving them in the frig to ripen but he will still wait a few days or more before he eats them. Once to his liking he settles down takes his time and enjoys the bone.

Just wondering if others have dogs who do this and is it safe? Anything I should be doing, any advice, wisdom?

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
If he buries or saves them in any way, he is not hungry. Let him fast for a day and give him a smaller amount. I don't think it will hurt him to eat rotten meat but I personally don't want to be exposed to his mouth after a dinner like that. My WD once ate a piece of chicken that he had saved underground for a few weeks. I had seen him bury it but had forgotten about it. So I remembered how old it was when he showed up with it. He didn't get sick and neither did we.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I am guilty of sometimes letting their raw lay around for a day on occasion. They really do like it so much better when it has been aged.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Our doberman would alway bury her bones - eww they were so gross when she reappeared with them weeks later... she looved them tho and never got sick

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Yes he does like to properly age his fine bones lol. I get that he is likely not that hungry. I prefer not to fast him he will get the hunger pukes. He is a thin dog who doesn't eat much BUT really likes to work for food (kind of strange how food driven he is to work). I just haven't convinced myself to have him work for the ground raw Lol. Perhaps I should. I do still see it as a valid point. We are on day one of a goat leg sitting waiting to age lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts